The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, Arachnophile said:

doesn't appear to have played much football.

Think that may be a common theme with the recruitment this summer. Wouldn’t surprise to see us sign a host of players from academies from down south. 

in theory, that should be really exciting but having the unfortunate situation of watching Luis Longstaff for an entire season has completely killed my enthusiasm for that approach. Hoping beuker has done his due diligence and scouting on these guys. Last thing we need is a bunch wee boys not up to scratch in the championship 

Given the route we went down with Veldman as the choice of manager, I'm also fully expecting the vast majority of our signings to be in the 19-22 age range.

You have to hope that Beuker recognises we were very easily bullied at points last season, and you can't go into games against the likes of Dundee United with a squad primarily made up of wee boys.

If that were supplemented with even 2 or 3 players who have experience of playing at this level then I'd be ok with it, ideally a centre back and a striker in particular.

I'm just not convinced we can rely on guys like Ferrie, Thomas, or Robson to be leaders throughout an entire season in a difficult league; it's a lot to ask of them.

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

Given the route we went down with Veldman as the choice of manager, I'm also fully expecting the vast majority of our signings to be in the 19-22 age range.

You have to hope that Beuker recognises we were very easily bullied at points last season, and you can't go into games against the likes of Dundee United with a squad primarily made up of wee boys.

If that were supplemented with even 2 or 3 players who have experience of playing at this level then I'd be ok with it, ideally a centre back and a striker in particular.

I'm just not convinced we can rely on guys like Ferrie, Thomas, or Robson to be leaders throughout an entire season in a difficult league; it's a lot to ask of them.

The striker is critical. Look at everyone at the top half last season;

Dundee: Robinson 

Thistle: Graham 

Ayr: Akinyemi 

Morton: Oakley (at least against us)

Inverness: Mckay 

QP: Murray til January 

The likes of Arbroath, Hamilton, Cove and Raith had no capable striker in their ranks and unsurprisingly they finished bottom half. Even after Murray left, we ended up playing like a team who were bottom of the league. It’s the one area we really need or at least attempting to go full “Gretna style” 

19 minutes ago, qpfc said:

The striker is critical. Look at everyone at the top half last season;

Dundee: Robinson 

Thistle: Graham 

Ayr: Akinyemi 

Morton: Oakley (at least against us)

Inverness: Mckay 

QP: Murray til January 

The likes of Arbroath, Hamilton, Cove and Raith had no capable striker in their ranks and unsurprisingly they finished bottom half. Even after Murray left, we ended up playing like a team who were bottom of the league. It’s the one area we really need or at least attempting to go full “Gretna style” 

Yep, it's the difference maker in this league. I think we're more likely to chance our luck in the loan market and hope another Conor Shields type move pays off than go after an experienced free agent, but I hope not for a few different reasons.

13 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Someone will step up and take on the role as Captain.

Perhaps the change of Head Coach will encourage one of the younger players to step up; Fox, Thomson or Bannon. 

14 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Has Barry Hepburn signed or been linked with yourselves? Seemingly was signing a new deal at Bayern and going out on loan this season.

He's followed about 7/8 players and coaches, as well as the club, on Instagram in the past week. Suspect he might be coming here on loan.

5 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

He's followed about 7/8 players and coaches, as well as the club, on Instagram in the past week. Suspect he might be coming here on loan.

Yeah checked that after noticing him and his mum followed QP on Twitter (and she's following Beuker too).

Watched him for Scotland U19's at Somerset last season and he looked good, although opposition weren't great.

23 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

Someone will step up and take on the role as Captain.

Perhaps the change of Head Coach will encourage one of the younger players to step up; Fox, Thomson or Bannon. 

Totally agree that there are guys who are more than capable of taking on the captaincy and being real leaders, what I mean is that over the course of a long, gruelling season it'll be hard work without a little bit more experience in the squad stepping up when it matters alongside them.

14 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Hard to tell with Ferrie as to whether his form dipped or was purely a victim of an at times shambolic defence, but certainly Robson (and to a perhaps lesser extent Thomas) was from late March/April onwards, a shadow of his earlier season self.

If as the internet suggests, Veldman prefers a 3-4-3 then an experienced CB would be a must to partner Fox (if he re-signs).  I can see us signing 2, maybe 3 strikers on loan in the hope that one hits the mark, (proven strikers being the golden goose that most teams are searching for) and it's not looking too much like we're splashing the cash on any known quantities any time soon.

Edited by Spider1975

44 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

If as the internet suggests, Veldman prefers a 3-4-3 then an experienced CB would be a must to partner Fox (if he re-signs).  I can see us signing 2, maybe 3 strikers on loan in the hope that one hits the mark, (proven strikers being the golden goose that most teams are searching for) and it's not looking too much like we're splashing the cash on any known quantities any time soon.

I don’t mind the idea of a 3-4-3. Someone like Fox would thrive in that and it would allow him to bring back those big driving runs he was incredibly good at. I don’t know if it was a particular instruction from Coyle last season but it was like Fox wasn’t allowed past the halfway line, particularly at the end of the season. As dreadful as Fox was at the end of the season, I’d still absolutely have him here next season. Until March, I had him down as one if not the top defender in the league. Confidence just seemed shot to bits with Coyle being totally unable to coach a defence 

The Barry Hepburn link sounds very promising. He is very much a player in the style of Dom Thomas so would likely provide an excellent attacking threat.

I’d have liked to see us try and take Kyle Turner after he left Partick but I think he’s likely to end up at Ross County from what i’’ve seen.

A centre forward is a must and if its to be the 3-4-3 formation as suggested that Veldman prefers I do wonder if the top 3 would be a main striker with Thomas/Hepburn in the slightly wider positions.

A loan striker from Jong Ajax or similar could be a very good interim solution.