The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

21 minutes ago, Boris the Spider said:

Going to be a very young team next season

Certainly is. Maybe Robson, Thomas and Longridge is seen as enough senior players to have in the squad. By my calcs, average age is 22.3. Not sure how that compares to other teams. Currently I think 18 players in squad, maybe another 3 or 4  signings / loans to come??? 

Would still like to see a right back, another back up option up top and maybe cover out wide if Thomas or Hepburn were out for whatever reason. Wouldn’t want to rely on Healy for that just yet despite how much I rate him 

That adidas gear is magnificent looking btw. Doesn’t matter how pissed off I am with stadiums and communication, they’ll always find a way to entice me into giving them lots of money. 

14 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Constantly raising my eyebrows at the quality of players and the range of clubs we’re recruiting from. Just a few years ago it was Ayrshire Juniors and relying on ex-players to scout on midweek nights. Incredible!

Hopefully some of the Young QP can upgrade to the first team soon too.

I have a feeling, that Cameron Bruce, Lewis Reid and Lennon Connelly will be in and around match day squads quite often. Amongst other younger players throughout the season. 

1 minute ago, TheHitman said:

I have a feeling, that Cameron Bruce, Lewis Reid and Lennon Connelly will be in and around match day squads quite often. Amongst other younger players throughout the season. 

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Callan McKenna in or around the match day squads aswell. Was the sub keeper for the last few games of the season and is an absolute unit despite being only 17

I’d be looking to loan Jaques Heraghty somewhere in league 2 for a season to see what he’s made of. 20 years old now, needs to start getting games at first team level. 

Don't know much about the arrivals from Southampton, but certainly the development pedigree of that club, (even better than Crystal Palace), leaves me more than content.  Also, it's good to see, from the point of view of the 'project' that we're signing them on 3 year contracts, meaning we're unlikely to lose them for a partial fee, or free, after a season and a half.

There's a lot to be positive about going into this coming season and the club have obviously been doing significant work identifying what type of player they wanted to bring in.  We look to have a young team under a new, relatively young manager who in turn seems to align with MB's ideology.  MB seems to have been pretty ruthless with those he's let go, (thankfully so with last years loanees) whilst on the whole players he's previously brought in that have been signed on contracts, (with the exception perhaps of Eze), seem to so far to have been pretty astute acquisitions.  On the whole OC did a good job, but in Beuker we trust and if he rates Veldman, who it turn proves to be less rigid tactically than OC, I have high hopes for the future.

Last point and for fear of sounding like a woke leftie and Tin hat on for this one, but here goes....

One thing I never thought I'd see, (after having followed QP on and off since the 80's) was fans berating the players as they walked towards the tunnel at the Partick game, especially given the significant over-achievement of last year.  I'd imagine it's likely going to take some time for this young team and manager to gel and I daresay there might be a couple of unpalatable results in what's looking again, (Airdrie aside)  to be a wide-open competitive league. Hopefully we can be there to patiently but loudly, support them.

2 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

Don't know much about the arrivals from Southampton, but certainly the development pedigree of that club, (even better than Crystal Palace), leaves me more than content.  Also, it's good to see, from the point of view of the 'project' that we're signing them on 3 year contracts, meaning we're unlikely to lose them for a partial fee, or free, after a season and a half.

There's a lot to be positive about going into this coming season and the club have obviously been doing significant work identifying what type of player they wanted to bring in.  We look to have a young team under a new, relatively young manager who in turn seems to align with MB's ideology.  MB seems to have been pretty ruthless with those he's let go, (thankfully so with last years loanees) whilst on the whole players he's previously brought in that have been signed on contracts, (with the exception perhaps of Eze), seem to so far to have been pretty astute acquisitions.  On the whole OC did a good job, but in Beuker we trust and if he rates Veldman, who it turn proves to be less rigid tactically than OC, I have high hopes for the future.

Last point and for fear of sounding like a woke leftie and Tin hat on for this one, but here goes....

One thing I never thought I'd see, (after having followed QP on and off since the 80's) was fans berating the players as they walked towards the tunnel at the Partick game, especially given the significant over-achievement of last year.  I'd imagine it's likely going to take some time for this young team and manager to gel and I daresay there might be a couple of unpalatable results in what's looking again, (Airdrie aside)  to be a wide-open competitive league. Hopefully we can be there to patiently but loudly, support them.

And the point about our new manager that I had not realised was that he had never played professional football.

It has received little or no comment in the media; my how times have changed since Ian Cathro departed Hearts. However, I prefer the thought of the players being coached by a professional coach than anyone from the usual list of former players that were bandied about.

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments of your final paragraph. playing attack-minded risky football will give us some crazy wins along with some hard-to-take defeats. Roll with it  

On 28/06/2023 at 09:54, HoustonSpider99 said:

Without stating the obvious this Southampton link is really promising. You don’t need to look far than the list of guys who have come through their academy. The club clearly know how to develop a player.

Ward-Prowse, Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana, Tyrone Mings, Kevin Phillips to name a few. 

Fingers crossed Turner turns out to be half as good as one of the above. 

23 hours ago, Widge said:

I like how you've listed a bunch of recent Southampton graduate players and managed to miss off the best of them all by quite some distance!

Jonathan Page erasure. 

5 minutes ago, Cyclops van Gogh 1867 said:

I see from the club's website that Stephen Eze and Liam Brown have now left the club. I would like to add,  Thanks and Good Luck to both of them.

Brown got unlucky with his injuries. There’s clearly a very good player in there; just didn’t suit our system that Ellis wanted to play. Scottish game was too quick for Eze. That said he’s given us some brilliant memories. I wish nothing but the best to both. 

9 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

The players did overachieve and for the majority of the season they were brilliant and gave us some amazing moments. However there can be no argument that the performances over the last 2/3 months were horrendous. I do believe some of this was down to Owen Coyle’s refusal to change anything even when it was blatantly obvious that teams had sussed out our game plan by then, but some of the players have to have a look at themselves and ask if they played to their full potential. 

I dont agree with dishing out personal abuse to players but I can totally understand the fans (myself included) frustration at a pathetic performance against a team we had already beaten 3 times. We aren’t “plucky” amateur QP anymore. These guys are professionals and with that comes a certain minimum expected level of performance. 

On 28/06/2023 at 14:08, mcjameos said:

Certainly is. Maybe Robson, Thomas and Longridge is seen as enough senior players to have in the squad. By my calcs, average age is 22.3. Not sure how that compares to other teams. Currently I think 18 players in squad, maybe another 3 or 4  signings / loans to come??? 

This might suggest we won't see much more in the way of signings. I guess it depends on how many youth players they feel are up to joining the first team squad. and how much Robin sees eye to eye with Marijn.  I see Luke McCormick & Lennon Connolly scored against Linlithgow Rose yesterday.

image.png.2293934a9b94a9ff7559afcb1495ecfa.png

On a side note, I wonder if we might see a new shirt sponsor  -Scotts were only announced as sponsor for 2022-23 and after a small flurry of activity at the start have been pretty anonymous.

Return of the Bru, anyone?

13 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

This might suggest we won't see much more in the way of signings. I guess it depends on how many youth players they feel are up to joining the first team squad. and how much Robin sees eye to eye with Marijn.  I see Luke McCormick & Lennon Connolly scored against Linlithgow Rose yesterday.

Those (MB) numbers seem a little lean to me but would see Bannon, Bruce and Williamson playing more of a part. Personally think more depth required to enable rotations for any cup runs and the inevitable injuries / suspensions. Will be interesting to see if the likes of Connolly, McCormick or any others are also ready to step up.

Encouraging to see plenty of goals against Linlithgow but Ross County and Livingston will be a better test of where we are at.