The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

21 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

To wade into the ongoing debate, in what way is the QP model sustainable? Beyond potential future crowd growth, player sales etc. - which every club can say the same about. 

You brought 250 fans to Firhill for a local “derby” in the promotion playoffs - which indicates that there isn’t a particularly large latent fan base to tap into. So once the external funding dries up you’ll find your natural level - which is probably mid-table League 1. 

That’s not to say you shouldn’t enjoy the ride, just that you should probably at least have some concerns that funding may dry up before certain longer term commitments reach a break point. Which, to be fair, at least some of you seem to. 

Whether you believe it will work or not, the people in charge of player development at the club are certainly trying to do something most Scottish clubs aren't (at least to my knowledge). We have some incredibly talented young players coming through at the club right now; I have no idea how profitable it'll be, but it's being overseen by a guy who did a phenomenal job when he was tasked with the same thing at AZ Alkmaar.

I think it's unfair to comment on the lack of growth in the size of our fanbase when we've not actually been able to attend home games in the Southside since early 2020. Now we're back at Hampden the real work starts in that regard. For what it's what, that Thistle game came at a point where our support was absolutely deflated after an exhausting end to the season culminating in that ridiculous game against Dundee; I know a few people who simply couldn't be arsed with it.

None of us have a crystal ball, so who knows how it'll all pan out but I personally think it's worth a shot.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I've seen some posts about this 'model's Queen's Park have.

What actually is this model what is unique about it?

It's still in its original packaging so is very valuable.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't think there's anything unique about it other than the spin. Ayr have ten or eleven players who've come through the Academy in to the first team squad and I'd guess a few other teams in the Championship have reasonably decent numbers as well 

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Instead of spending money they don't have on expensive players to try and win the league, to give their fanbase short term gratification before inevitable administration, they are spending money they don't have on expensive youth players to try and win a few games (before anyone half decent gets poached), to give 40 people in an evil directors box some short term gratification before inevitable administration.  Completely different.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

You’re the only club on the country that the governing body has bailed out by buying their stadium. Ask Clydebank, third Lanark, airdrie etc fans if they think it’s fair?! 

Loads of other clubs have had to sell their stadium to supermarket chains to stay alive or they would have folded as well.

The SFA in no way "bailed out' QP - it was a deck loaded entirely in their favour.

I'm aware that other clubs sold their soul to supermarket chains. If I remember right, St Johnstone got a great deal from Asda for Muirton.  I lived in Dunkeld at the time and loved going to that ground.

34 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Instead of spending money they don't have on expensive players to try and win the league, to give their fanbase short term gratification before inevitable administration, they are spending money they don't have on expensive youth players to try and win a few games (before anyone half decent gets poached), to give 40 people in an evil directors box some short term gratification before inevitable administration.  Completely different.

Mate, take a day off 

4 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Hepburn looks like he’ll be a good signing, especially if he bulks up as the season goes on 

Met the young guy at a pre season event at Lesser - he's a great lad with bags of enthusiasm. He'll do well wherever he ends up. His time at Bayern Munich has really helped him, he thinks.

Edited by Grumpy Soo-sider
additional info

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Feel free to have a wee read at this link, it probably explains things better than anybody on here could. I'm sure there's more to it than the club aren't keen to share publicly as well:

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/queens-park-start-with-young-team/

On top of that our u18s will be joining the CAS Elite league, while I believe the lower age groups already did this season.

There are also other factors, such as the importance of statistics and analytics when it comes to scouting players. I believe some of the guys we've signed this year have been on our radar for quite a long time, and I don't imagine we're likely to bring in (m)any new faces over the age of about 22/23.

As I stated in a previous post, you're more than welcome to be skeptical. Time will tell if all of this is likely to pay off.

Edited by Zanetti

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Fling a shitload of cash at it while working on a core home support of around 300.