The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Meh. Pretty even first half, they probably had a couple of the best chances and we hit the woodwork twice. Sending off looked a clear cut red to me and it’s going to be a struggle from there.

Getting ourselves into good areas and either being too hesitant or picking the wrong option. Set pieces were, to put it mildly, shite. Early days, right enough, but obvious areas we need to improve. 

No idea what the Paton penalty was for. Perhaps someone in the Royal Box with a good view of the game might be able to enlighten us? Looked a great finish from Healy as well.

Not a great League Cup campaign, but it’s rare to look back at anything relevant to the league season ever happening in these games. 

From where I was sitting I didn't think the Fox incident was a foul. Looked like he got the ball which then hit off their player towards the stand. He may have then followed through to make contact with their player, but at worst it was a yellow.

I also thought we were denied two clear penalties. Though no guarantee we'd have scored those either.

I of course reserve the right to change my opinion on all of the above once the highlights are posted 😉

1 hour ago, Ben Reilly said:

There is nothing on the walls at all to identify it as a Queens Park club. The closest thing is a QP badge on the Tennents tap.

What's happened to all the squad pictures, and kits. Especially sad to see the donors wall gone. Got my Father in laws name put on one of the boards for his 80th birthday just as the pandemic started (at a not insignificant cost) but it's nowhere to be seen.

That's an absolute disgrace. Genuinely disgusting.

57 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

I hadn’t even considered the donors wall, that’s really poor, appalling in fact.

Making the bar “Queen’s Park themed” is on the list of things that were promised at members meetings but didn’t happen.  

Very poor. All good and well if your club are doing some things good/well/right but if you get the fan side/engagement wrong it soon won't matter.

Incidentally, what beers does this club have and what are the prices?

1 hour ago, Ben Reilly said:

There is nothing on the walls at all to identify it as a Queens Park club. The closest thing is a QP badge on the Tennents tap.

What's happened to all the squad pictures, and kits. Especially sad to see the donors wall gone. Got my Father in laws name put on one of the boards for his 80th birthday just as the pandemic started (at a not insignificant cost) but it's nowhere to be seen.

Yip. I had two names on the donors wall plus one of player tributes in the hallway. Supposedly 10 years life. 

Am I kidding myself on to think that the last 4 games were to trial a new style of play for us which includes our keeper playing a far more proactive part of playing the ball 'out from the back' rather than a real intention of progressing in the diddy cup  ?. If it continues into the league program which starts at Inverness next week it won't be long before it's realised that a high pressure line will (as it did today) eventually result with mistakes ending in tap-ins. 

I'm no fan of hoof ball but there is a lot to be said for a well placed long ball and although playing from the back looks great if it is executed correctly especially if it results in a shooting opportunity there imo has to be a balance between the two styles and not what seems to be the case at the moment of an almost obsession on playing it back even if there are openings elsewhere.

Looking forward to the real stuff starting next week and can only hope that gaining 3 points even at this stage of the season is not sacrificed for the sake of an experiment?.

Edited by bridgeofweirdo

2 minutes ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Am I kidding myself on to think that the last 4 games were to trial a new style of play which includes our keeper playing a far more proactive part of playing the ball 'out from the back' rather than a real intention of progressing in the diddy cup  ?. If it continues into the league program which starts at Inverness next week it won't be long before it's realised that a high pressure line will (as it did today) eventually result with mistakes ending in tap-ins. 

I'm no fan of hoof ball but there is a lot to be said for a well placed long ball and although playing from the back looks great if it is executed correctly especially if it results in a shooting opportunity there imo has to be a balance between the two styles and not what seems to be the case at the moment of an almost obsession on playing it back even if there are openings elsewhere.

Looking forward to the real stuff starting next week and can only hope that gaining 3 points even at this stage of the season is not sacrificed for the sake of an experiment?

playing the ball out from the back is hardly revolutionary. Lots of teams do it and some are very successful. It does need players who are comfortable on the ball & able to pass the ball accurately.

Even the best teams will get caught out from time to time and it is worth noting that that didn't happen today when we had 11 players on the pitch.

I am 100% behind the manager and the way he wants us to play.

7 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

playing the ball out from the back is hardly revolutionary. Lots of teams do it and some are very successful. It does need players who are comfortable on the ball & able to pass the ball accurately.

Even the best teams will get caught out from time to time and it is worth noting that that didn't happen today when we had 11 players on the pitch.

I am 100% behind the manager and the way he wants us to play.

Agreed ---but to the extent that we seem to be using it is O.T.T.. 

2 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

Really disappointing. Why would all this be removed? Who is it for? Would someone hiring it for an event (I'm guessing the rationale?) really expect there to be no sign of the football club?

Edited by RichRJohnstone

4 hours ago, an86 said:

Meh. Pretty even first half, they probably had a couple of the best chances and we hit the woodwork twice. Sending off looked a clear cut red to me and it’s going to be a struggle from there.

Getting ourselves into good areas and either being too hesitant or picking the wrong option. Set pieces were, to put it mildly, shite. Early days, right enough, but obvious areas we need to improve. 

No idea what the Paton penalty was for. Perhaps someone in the Royal Box with a good view of the game might be able to enlighten us? Looked a great finish from Healy as well.

Not a great League Cup campaign, but it’s rare to look back at anything relevant to the league season ever happening in these games. 

From the 'Royal Box' (very plush by the way) it looked a fairly clear penalty to me. Houston went to lash the ball away and one of your guys stepped across the ball from his blind side just as he went to do it. He kick through the guy's leg (McLeish was it?) and then the ball.

Thought we just about deserved the win. Sending off was key of course. It's a clear red if he didn't get the ball first, not even a foul if he did. Hard to see clearly from my angle? You did hit the top of the bar twice in the first half but both would have been very fortunate. One was a deflected cross and the other a clearance from us that took a farcical cannon back into the box and presented your guy with a chance. You should have scored at 0-0 just after the red card though. Somebody (was it Thomas?) cut in from the right and shot wide.

Liked the look of your keeper for someone so young. Sounds mental to say when he sold a goal, but really good with his feet. He was asking for trouble though, overplaying it a bit at the back. Eventually we caught him at it. Fox won everything in the air before his red card. He was a big loss for you and it very obviously made a difference. Up to then you were shading a good game. After it I thought we were well on top and the goal and penalty which caused a bit of late panic with us flattered you a bit.

3 hours ago, qpfc said:

Next couple signings will be crucial. Desperately need a right back and although I thought Longridge was decent today, it’s just not going to cut in the championship quite simply. 

Need another option up top. I wasn’t able to make the Elgin match but I’ve been really unconvinced with Paton’s link up play. Looks very sloppy on occasions and almost single handedly cost us a goal with a dire pass in the middle of the park which was fortunately ruled offside. Combined with the penalty miss, I think he forgot he wasn’t playing for QOTS today 

Paton's link up play is the best bit about his game. He's good on the ball and he sees things. His finishing needs some improvement but he'll do very well for you. Good of him to miss that penalty for old time's sake though! Oh, and McKechnie was about 4 yards offside on the ruled out goal. I've absolutely no idea why the assistant waited till he actually scored to flag it. I thought they were supposed to flag as soon as he touches the ball. Did he forget there was no VAR?

2 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

From where I was sitting I didn't think the Fox incident was a foul. Looked like he got the ball which then hit off their player towards the stand. He may have then followed through to make contact with their player, but at worst it was a yellow.

I also thought we were denied two clear penalties. Though no guarantee we'd have scored those either.

I of course reserve the right to change my opinion on all of the above once the highlights are posted 😉

Like I said above, thought Fox had to go but I didn't have a great angle on it. If he got the ball clearly he shouldn't have.

I've no idea what the other two penalty shouts were other than the one you got though? I can't even think of one. Surely not the one that hit McClelland on the back when he was lying in the penalty area? Never a penalty that one.

10 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Doesn't really matter. The place is crap.

I actually think it's a nice wee stand, now that I've been a few times it's better than I expected. The problem is there should be another 3 of them; the fact that people were scrambling about to get tickets for a meaningless League Cup game (and some didn't manage to) just shows how woefully inadequate the place is.

15 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I actually think it's a nice wee stand, now that I've been a few times it's better than I expected. The problem is there should be another 3 of them; the fact that people were scrambling about to get tickets for a meaningless League Cup game (and some didn't manage to) just shows how woefully inadequate the place is.

The sight of that "royal box" destroys any enjoyment for me. I just cannot understand the mindset of those who sit in it. Even with two more stands Lesser will not be adequate for our ambition.

1 hour ago, Spider Rico said:

Official attendance announced as 826 despite being a sell out. Was there a gap for segregation or is the capacity even lower than we thought?

Might be members who didn’t attend. Not sure if we go with “tickets sold” attendance or actual number of folk in the stadium. Certainly a few empty seats in front of me.

12 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

The sight of that "royal box" destroys any enjoyment for me. I just cannot understand the mindset of those who sit in it. Even with two more stands Lesser will not be adequate for our ambition.

Has the design and lay out ever been explained? I think it's a bad decision in any case, but I could maybe understand it being for Directors, hospitality and sponsors.

44 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Doesn't really matter. The place is crap.

Roof could maybe have been built a bit lower and extended a bit more at the front, not much shelter in the front couple of rows, or any of 6 or 7 rows if rains driving in that way. Toilets (away end) are pokey and only 3 urinals in a corner could have been better planned. Also surprised they allowed a smoking area as I thought all venues had to be smoke free. A Steward standing in the aisle blocking the view during the game was a pain but he kindly moved when someone asked him to, not like at Dundee once when I asked told a Steward he was blocking my view and he told me to move somewhere else. All in all it's a facility that wouldn't look out of place at a Council Sports venue. 

1 hour ago, Spider Rico said:

Official attendance announced as 826 despite being a sell out. Was there a gap for segregation or is the capacity even lower than we thought?

No gap for segregation and a few empty seats in the away end. Maybe our result on Tuesday put a few off who had bought tickets (or maybe they stayed in the pub)