The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

12 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Daily Record Sport claiming we are hoping to take in Scott Williamson on loan. In L1 he would be a good option for us and would bag goals. 

How are you for striking options? If Scott goes out there must be other strikers inbound

Thoughts?

There’s a player and goalscorer there somewhere. Started off last season very promising and looked like he would be able to handful the step up as the season went on. However, his minutes became less and less which at the time was odd considering how awful Johnny Kenny was as 2nd choice striker and ultimately, looking from the outside, it seemed to dent his initial buzz and confidence when he did get limited minutes towards the back end of the season 

It’s worth noting he came from Cambuslang Rangers which is a monumental jump to the championship and overall I don’t necessarily think he fared too badly at this level but at this stage of his career, championship might be one level too much. I think he’s got potential to be an excellent goal scorer in league 1 with regular minutes and was really hoping for him to get a loan move somewhere to prove himself 

If he does indeed go out on loan, we absolutely need a striker or even 2 in as we simply can’t rely on a single striker all season in Paton. One injury to Paton and we’re in massive trouble 

Only thing is, do you think he would get in ahead of megginson or Connell if he does join ? 

Edited by qpfc

20 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Depends whether you think like a lifelong QP fan or a Beuker. 36 in the league plus up to 6 in play-offs is 42. 4 in the LC, another 4 in the Challenge Cup (‘cos we’ll win that this year), at least two in a Scottish cup gets you to 52. Translate 52 into Dutch and you get 55. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I had not taken into account six play-off games. The missing three perhaps signals an intent to win the Scottish Cup, to acheive European exposure that way.   

2 minutes ago, qpfc said:

There’s a player and goalscorer there somewhere. Started off last season very promising and looked like he would be able to handful the step up as the season went on. However, his minutes became less and less which at the time was odd considering how awful Johnny Kenny was as 2nd choice striker and ultimately, looking from the outside, it seemed to dent his initial buzz and confidence when he did get limited minutes towards the back end of the season 

It’s worth noting he came from Cambuslang Rangers which is a monumental jump to the championship and overall I don’t necessarily think he fared too badly at this level but at this stage of his career, championship might be one level too much. I think he’s got potential to be an excellent goal scorer in league 1 with regular minutes and was really hoping for him to get a loan move somewhere to prove himself 

Only thing is, do you think he would get in ahead of megginson or Connell if he does join ? 

He would be our 5th striker which seems excessive for a league 1 side. To be honest I worry if that means someone (Mitch) is outbound. I didn't expect us to take in another striker although I would welcome Scott as I agree with your comments on him. Seems lively and likely quite natural in front of goal.

Connell and Burrell have been playing as wide attackers with Mitch through the middle. It's one option and the other option is to play 2 outright strikers. I have no idea how Hartley will shape us up this season given his abundance of new signings. 

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Daily Record Sport claiming we are hoping to take in Scott Williamson on loan. In L1 he would be a good option for us and would bag goals I feel.

How are you for striking options? If Scott goes out there must be other strikers inbound

Thoughts on him?

Screenshot_2023-08-03-12-23-36-49_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

I'd be surprised if he scored many goals in League One, still think that might be too high a level for him, but would be perfectly happy to be proven wrong.

Latterly, we banged high balls to Williamson instead of having him chase low balls to feet, which he thrived on. There is indeed a decent footballer in there and playing in a two with someone like Megginson would be a great combination.

Definitely needs to go and play somewhere. The jump from Cambuslang Rangers to the Championship is enormous. Hell of an ask to come in and nail down a place. He’s shown wee flashes that the level isn’t beyond him, so hopefully going and playing somewhere else at league level will aid his development. Certainly worth keeping on the books in the medium term. 

I really like Williamson but he definitely needs a run of games so I understand why a loan is being considered. Don’t think he’s featured in any of the league cup games and Veldman seems to prefer Liam McLeish. 

Still like to think Williamson will play a part for us, though wether he stays or not we definitely need to bring another striker in. 

36 minutes ago, Gall09 said:

Still like to think Williamson will play a part for us, though wether he stays or not we definitely need to bring another striker in. 

If he is away, then I can only assume we're close to bringing another striker in. Even if Veldman does rate McLeish, that leaves us with just one back-up to Paton - or two if you count former Our Lady of the Missions Primary star Rocco Hickey-Fugaccia - which is asking for trouble.

Haughey as a friendly donor with no influence was what we were sold. Now we’re the Burnside Hotel II and have his other company all over our stadium and shirt. He was literally thanked for his cooperation by Ross County in their Simon Murray transfer statement. 

His involvement isn’t necessarily the issue. It’s the complete lies we’re being told regarding his influence in decision making. If there’s influence, there must be accountability. 

5 minutes ago, an86 said:

Haughey as a friendly donor with no influence was what we were sold. Now we’re the Burnside Hotel II and have his other company all over our stadium and shirt. He was literally thanked for his cooperation by Ross County in their Simon Murray transfer statement. 

His involvement isn’t necessarily the issue. It’s the complete lies we’re being told regarding his influence in decision making. If there’s influence, there must be accountability. 

I specifically asked the President once about what Lord Hee-Haw wanted from all this and was told “nothing” and was further told that he had even declined an invite to sponsor the stadium name. Less than a year ago. I was subsequently told, a few months ago, that “nothing more is getting built unless Willie says so.” If it’s not lies it’s incredibly gullible people behaving like groupies running the club.

I’m sure the official version is that City are our main sponsor. QP fans will make their own minds up.

6 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I specifically asked the President once about what Lord Hee-Haw wanted from all this and was told “nothing” and was further told that he had even declined an invite to sponsor the stadium name. Less than a year ago. I was subsequently told, a few months ago, that “nothing more is getting built unless Willie says so.” If it’s not lies it’s incredibly gullible people behaving like groupies running the club.

I’m sure the official version is that City are our main sponsor. QP fans will make their own minds up.

You’ll also recall that we were told he wasn’t interested in the naming rights. Is there anything that we’ve been told about the stadium that hasn’t turned out to be complete fiction? Timescale, capacity, sponsorship. All complete bollocks. You wonder if he’ll ever stop playing with his Patrick Harvie voodoo doll for long enough to come out of the shadows.