The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 minute ago, an86 said:

Would be difficult to turn it down, but hope Marijn Beuker can persuade him that a season or two of first team professional football is going to help his development more than playing kids football on training grounds on a Tuesday afternoon. 

Signing on fee would probably be worth the move alone, unfortunately. A tough road to make it all the way through the academy structure to become a Premier League player in England. I don’t get the impression that he lacks the self belief, though! 

I think you only need to look at Regan Thompson as a prime example of moving down south too soon at Newcastle to play reserve football at 16. The guy looked like he had all the tools to make it as a full time footballer minimum but as of last season he was punted after playing 0 games for a dreadful Hamilton side and was then seen playing for our ochilview friends, Sygenta

I’ve no doubts McKenna has a ridiculously high ceiling and the way Brighton play, that style of football is perfect for him. From a fans perspective, selfishly I’d love to just get a full season of him to see how good he can get at this level

It is very possible that the club knew this offer was coming, we have had dealings with Brighton recently.

And with that, elevated our keeper from under age squad to first team regular.

It alerts other clubs and perhaps increases any compensation we may receive.

What’s the craic with your social club, take it it’s still open, are away fans allowed in, what flavours of beer do you have on draft and is there an admission charge. Also I take it there is away supporters turnstiles at the Summerville Road side, cheers.

46 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Going by reports on Twitter, Brighton will be putting in a bid before the end of the window. Would be a gutter if he left so early but you’d hope the lure of 1st team at 16 years old may help our case in keeping him. Or worst case scenario, we get a fee for McKenna this month and he’s loaned back for the rest of the season 

Would imagine a move to Brighton would be hard to turn down, similarly a decent fee.  As you stated, hopefully a compromise of fee and immediate loan back to continue his development here would be agreed.  Moneyball awesome in theory and a necessity for the future of the club (and the cessation of all the Glasgow Gretna bollocks), but doesn't half wallop you in the solar plexus when you lose players so early.

Guessing in the long run, building relationships with teams/academy's such as Brighton and Southampton not necessarily a bad thing

Great for any of the players to be linked with a prem team down south, and it's a model we'll need to get used to, but that would still be a sore one so soon. 

Wonder too if we would be selling ourselves short if we let him go at this stage... Surely his price is just going to increase the more he plays? And even more if we have a successful season or two?   

1 hour ago, Spooky Spider said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but does anyone know what the score will be when it comes to ST holders at big Hampden? Do we get to choose allocated seats like at Lesser or will it be sit where you want?

I’m hoping it’s sit where you want. At very least, if we’re doing designated sections, I’d hope we could try and get something organised where we can get a bit of atmosphere going. Folk are a bit spread out at Lesser and it tends to be the same for well attended games at Hampden. 

1 hour ago, Spooky Spider said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but does anyone know what the score will be when it comes to ST holders at big Hampden? Do we get to choose allocated seats like at Lesser or will it be sit where you want?

Fairly sure you can sit where you want, but it is likely to be in the South West (as before) rather than in the middle.

2 hours ago, Broath Boy said:

What’s the craic with your social club, take it it’s still open, are away fans allowed in, what flavours of beer do you have on draft and is there an admission charge. Also I take it there is away supporters turnstiles at the Summerville Road side, cheers.

It is open; 12-30 until kick off and then after the game until 7pm. The usual lagers; no admission charge. Away turnstile is indeed at the Somerville Drive end, but it's only two minutes from the bar.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

I’m hoping it’s sit where you want. At very least, if we’re doing designated sections, I’d hope we could try and get something organised where we can get a bit of atmosphere going. Folk are a bit spread out at Lesser and it tends to be the same for well attended games at Hampden. 

The season ticket cards have the block and seat number for Lesser printed on them. Below that it says 'Hampden Park - Unallocated' so I'm assuming that means sit where you want. Ixm expecting it to be similair to the two games we played there last December.

Slightly worried about the lack of atmosphere in the big ground. Ochilview and Lesser over the last year have been great to be so close to the pitch, and you feel that there is a bit of a bond growing with the players/coaching staff (even the newer arrivals) with the close proximity at goal celebrations and as they leave the pitch. It was great seeing all the kids down at the tunnel at Ochilview high fiving players etc.

Even if folk sit nearer the front at Hampden than we used to, there's still a huge distance to the pitch, so I fear that link with the players will be harder to maintain.

Hopefully, there will be a joint effort of us as supporters creating an atmosphere and from the players to get as close as they can to engage with us.

A unique opportunity has arisen and a fantastic competition has been designed to meet that opportunity with Members, Season Ticket Holders and Fans of Queen’s Park asked to come up with a name for our refurbished Bar at The City Stadium... 

Well now...

The Brian McPhee Bar for Members, Season Ticket Holders and Fans of Queen’s Park Who Can't Drink Good and Who Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too...

Plaque might be a bit big? 

So Ben McPherson has joined us on a season long loan from Celtic. A good move by the club and it will give competition for the right back position now. I'm pretty content with this move.

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/queens-park-bring-in-ben-mcpherson-on-loan/?fbclid=IwAR1FNJP1Ie1Z1C733vxEzq9oTHGaxEBwP1c4uesXN1tMha_1ozzFilfx3Po

16 minutes ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

So Ben McPherson has joined us on a season long loan from Celtic. A good move by the club and it will give competition for the right back position now. I'm pretty content with this move.

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/queens-park-bring-in-ben-mcpherson-on-loan/?fbclid=IwAR1FNJP1Ie1Z1C733vxEzq9oTHGaxEBwP1c4uesXN1tMha_1ozzFilfx3Po

Seem very highly rated which is promising. Plays for the Scotland u21’s also which is nice to see 

Hopefully a lot better than our last Celtic loan.. 

10 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Looks a promising signing for us and a deal that benefits all parties. Who are the two right-backs MB says are waiting in the wings for the future? 

One is definitely Joseph Smith who’s listed in the first team squad on the official website 

I think the other one might be Kane Thompson? He played the very first game at lesser in the tester game and looked the best player out of the young guys imo. Certainly looked more physically developed than most 

Edited by qpfc

22 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Our last attacking right-back from Celtic is maybe the best loan signing I've seen play for us.

I know he went and joined Dundee this season, but you're surely not writing the recipient of two of last years POTY trophies out of our history already...

23 minutes ago, Dave said:

I know he went and joined Dundee this season, but you're surely not writing the recipient of two of last years POTY trophies out of our history already...

Agreed, I was overlooking Mal.

But Ralston, - as a 16 yo - made the biggest difference to our team at the time. Brophy was good too, but Ralston was so effective.

7 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Agreed, I was overlooking Mal.

But Ralston, - as a 16 yo - made the biggest difference to our team at the time. Brophy was good too, but Ralston was so effective.

We were very fortunate with loans in the amateur era. Ralston, Brophy, Keena, Zanatta, Duggan and even Jack Iredale were all excellent for us

My favourite personally was probably Chris Duggan. Was a lazy sod at times but he was totally unplayable when he was at it. The home game against Cowdenbeath in the year we got promoted through the playoffs, he could and should have scored about 5 that game. Pretty sure he tore his hamstring 2nd leg and that kind of summed his career afterwards