The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

11 hours ago, Stuntiethumper said:

One for the history buffs who want to know the location where the Spiders story began.

https://hampdencollection.com/3-eglinton-terrace/

Very interesting. This version, based on local records, had it at the corner of Victoria Road and Allison Street above the Victoria Bar. It’s a decade old now. The detailed map version would likely be more reliable but the 2013 version also offers an opinion on why they would have chosen this location as the meeting venue. 

https://www.scottishsporthistory.com/sports-history-news-and-blog/a-historic-meeting-place-for-scottish-football

Bizarrely, I was taken to Strathbungo Primary for swimming lessons in the early seventies and never knew all this was sitting right next door.

5 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Very interesting. This version, based on local records, had it at the corner of Victoria Road and Allison Street above the Victoria Bar. It’s a decade old now. The detailed map version would likely be more reliable but the 2013 version also offers an opinion on why they would have chosen this location as the meeting venue. 

https://www.scottishsporthistory.com/sports-history-news-and-blog/a-historic-meeting-place-for-scottish-football

Bizarrely, I was taken to Strathbungo Primary for swimming lessons in the early seventies and never knew all this was sitting right next door.

Growing up in Govanhill in the 60s and 70s, the received wisdom was that Queen's Park FC started above the Victoria Bar on Vicky Rd. In those days we knew that Eglinton Terrace was on Victoria Road between Allison St and Prince Edward Street. Street numbers generally started towards the town centre and increased in number from there. What was not considered was - 

1) Terraces were generally the whole terrace (including round corners), and 

2) In 1867 Govanhill was not yet part of Glasgow.

So in later years, when the Terrace was renamed, the old numbering system was lost. The new research and findings undoubtably give the accurate location of the original meeting. Brilliant work!

Edited by Grumpy Soo-sider
Grammar

11 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

I'm sorry if this was discussed before but what was the point of having a name sponsor for a ground we won't be using this season? Is it a long term/permanent deal, I wonder? 

10 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Here's an alternative view - who else would sponsor a ground we're probably only using once this season... 

I can only assume that despite our first team not playing there regularly, the stadium sponsors will be expecting to get publicity every time it's used for Scotland training etc.

They may slso be aware of potential other uses for the stadium that have been arranged but not announced yet. (I have no inside knowledge, just making a guess)

35 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Looks like the Robbie Ure chat has died down - just had a quick snoop and looks like he's training with Anderlecht.  Given where RV has come from, is that just a mad coincidence? 

Saw that too.  Assumed that maybe either a) given he was looking for regular first team football, he wasn't entirely convinced he'd start every game given RV's preferred formation and that Paton is first choice, and/or b) despite what most folk would have you believe, the financials, (compensation to Rangers and what he was expecting) didn't 'add up'.  

Football's a small world so could well imagine RV seeing that it wasn't going to work at QP but that he saw something that his ex-employers might benefit from.

Question is now, where do we find a back up to Paton now that'd be content being just that?

26 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

Saw that too.  Assumed that maybe either a) given he was looking for regular first team football, he wasn't entirely convinced he'd start every game given RV's preferred formation and that Paton is first choice, and/or b) despite what most folk would have you believe, the financials, (compensation to Rangers and what he was expecting) didn't 'add up'.  

Football's a small world so could well imagine RV seeing that it wasn't going to work at QP but that he saw something that his ex-employers might benefit from.

Question is now, where do we find a back up to Paton now that'd be content being just that?

Seems to be a loop between AZ and Anderlecht which Beuker/Veldman are wired into. Quite possible his agent is still touting him at the high price and equally possible that Anderlecht will also say ‘need dank u’. They too have the restriction of earnings rule imposed on EU countries for non-EU players.  He’s also trialled for Killie recently.

Must be tough for these kids trying to find a job that pays more than £3.5k a week.

7 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Must be tough for these kids trying to find a job that pays more than £3.5k a week.

David Martindale spoke very well on 'Sacked in the Morning' about the budget constraints even he has at the top level in Scotland.  Have no idea how good Robbie Ure is, nor what his potential 'level' will be, or indeed what he, or his agent are after, but at that potential level of expenditure and with very little data/evidence on a player, even after a trial, it's a hell of a punt.

20 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

David Martindale spoke very well on 'Sacked in the Morning' about the budget constraints even he has at the top level in Scotland.  Have no idea how good Robbie Ure is, nor what his potential 'level' will be, or indeed what he, or his agent are after, but at that potential level of expenditure and with very little data/evidence on a player, even after a trial, it's a hell of a punt.

It’s also very unlikely that his superior, Paton, coming from QoS would be on anything like that. Or probably anyone else in our squad. 

18 hours ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

Poor guy must be gutted. He’s gonna miss the Bala game.

5 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It’s also very unlikely that his superior, Paton, coming from QoS would be on anything like that. Or probably anyone else in our squad. 

I have a pretty reliable source on this, and there's no one in our squad on anything like that sort of money.

25 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

Yeah similarly to the right back issue we had, I’d rather make sure we take our time to find the right player stylistically and financially. Being patient for the appropriate right back allowed us to get Ben Mcpherson who is 19 going on 29 with the maturity in his early performances so far.

There’s no point blowing a shed load of wages on someone who most likely won’t start. It’s a completely different case if we didn’t have Paton up top but we’ve got a guy who scores goals already, Beuker will have a big list of players shortlisted no doubt about it for who’s gonna play 2nd fiddle. I’m going to presume it might end up being a loan deal on deadline day id imagine 

1 hour ago, Skeletar Spider said:

I have a pretty reliable source on this, and there's no one in our squad on anything like that sort of money.

I should hope not and that's probably why the squad, at the moment and on face value, seems so harmonious. When I mentioned it being 'a hell of a punt' I was referring to any club.