The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

21 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Malky MacKay had a 23.6% win ratio at Ross County. Even beyond all the baggage he comes with, he's just not a good manager.

Irrespective of your thoughts on his suitability, if you're in the Premier with County, Livi or one of the other smaller sides, 23'6% might not be all that bad given your games against the OF won't be successful. You don't have a lot to work with in terms of resources. Anyway, a moot point. I think we'll stick with RV.

44 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Irrespective of your thoughts on his suitability, if you're in the Premier with County, Livi or one of the other smaller sides, 23'6% might not be all that bad given your games against the OF won't be successful. You don't have a lot to work with in terms of resources. Anyway, a moot point. I think we'll stick with RV.

His win rate was 20% at Wigan, in the English Championship, as well. They’d finished 5th in the league the season before he’d arrived and had won the FA Cup eighteen months previously. 

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

MacKay was well backed in the summer, he spent well over 6 figures on Henderson and Brophy alone yet they look terrible. He has resources at County, he's just a bad manager.

19 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

If there's any Prem managers on a shoogly peg we might want to keep an eye on, I'd suggest Kettlewell... but for the record, I'm still on the RV bus. 

I disagree with some earlier chat though. If we're still struggling when the window opens, I wouldn't be massively surprised if there's a couple of additions to the squad.  

We have already missed out, on a midfield internantional ,who has signed on a free for Inverness, who would have strenthened our midfield and has scored 3 goals, 2 of them on Saturdy. Did we even try to sign him? Can you tell us Zanetti? Your ear always seems to be close to what is going on at Lesser and do you or anyone else out there think that the boy David would have been a good signing for us? Our am I the only one?

39 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

We have already missed out, on a midfield internantional ,who has signed on a free for Inverness, who would have strenthened our midfield and has scored 3 goals, 2 of them on Saturdy. Did we even try to sign him? Can you tell us Zanetti? Your ear always seems to be close to what is going on at Lesser and do you or anyone else out there think that the boy David would have been a good signing for us? Our am I the only one?

Wotherspoon will be 34 in January. Which of our starting 11 would you send to the bench to give him a game?

12 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

Wotherspoon will be 34 in January. Which of our starting 11 would you send to the bench to give him a game?

On ability I don't think he'd have had any problem getting into our starting XI. But our self-imposed transfer restrictions mean we were never going to sign him anyway.

16 hours ago, an86 said:

It would be the stupidest possible thing we could do, which is why I’m not entirely relaxed that we wouldn’t do it.

He's also walked into job after job ever since being outed as a grade A c**t. His next gig won't be in the Premiership, but if we keep up this run of form, Veldman goes and Haughey decides he wants more of a say in who his replacement is to be with a view to keeping us up, I reckon there's a decent chance he goes after Mackay.

1 hour ago, Skeletar Spider said:

He's also walked into job after job ever since being outed as a grade A c**t. His next gig won't be in the Premiership, but if we keep up this run of form, Veldman goes and Haughey decides he wants more of a say in who his replacement is to be with a view to keeping us up, I reckon there's a decent chance he goes after Mackay.

If Veldman does go (and I'm not sure that he should   🤔) then bring back Billy Stark.

6 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Anyway, a moot point. I think we'll stick with RV.

This.  RV is going nowhere, even if MB departs for Ajax.  

In the unlikely event that RV does depart then I'd assume it'd take a U-turn of epic proportions (or a lobotomy) for QP to ditch the project  and hire some third-rate name of dubious character who's career is going backwards, QP supporter or not.  It baffles me that these jobbers despite the trajectory of their careers and lack of achievements still get touted for jobs and worse, considered for them by chairmen.

3 hours ago, Dooflick said:

We have already missed out, on a midfield internantional ,who has signed on a free for Inverness, who would have strenthened our midfield

I wonder whether he wasn't going to be too expensive for us? either way I genuinely don't see the midfield as being the issue., although I can see your point regarding the link up between the midfield and Paton, though I assume that's why we signed McKinstry, who fits the project profile a bit better - time will tell whether ICT or QP have got the best deal out of that one.  

MB said pre-season that QP will not sign anyone where we already have someone readily available, (around the same time we let Jake Davidson go, then had to go cap in hand to Celtic for MacPherson), so I cannot see anyone coming in January unless there's a significant injury, or someone leaves/is let go.  

Veldman's win ratio is 5 in 20, so 25%. That is with the better resources and in a league that should be far easier than Ross County. I'm not saying he should go either, but there comes a point. Well maybe there doesn't as we keep losing but you know what I mean.

Veldman has probably the next few games to save himself. The strange thing is despite ten league matches without a win it does feel as though he is just a few results away from either success or the sack.

On 14/11/2023 at 08:43, Spooky Spider said:

A very considered analysis and I think you've highlighted all the main issues. In the cold light of day (after my punching a door and storming out on Saturday!) I have to admit the team did look better and more cohesive. Not sure if Raith were just having an off day or we made them look bad, but performances are improving. I just wish they would get on and develop Lesser, a nice 2000 capacity stadium even if we are stuck in the Championship for two more years. Sick of Hampden now, cold, empty, leaky and that urine stank (urgh)

Serious question re your final sentence……do you believe you will be in the top division in next five years?

27 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Take your pick, Turner, Spong or Longridge.

I’m not swapping Wotherspoon for Spong at all. There’s an argument for Turner but the last month, he’s really showing us what he’s about now and knows where the back of the net is. Longridge, I’d swap but realistically our starting midfield consists of spong, Thomson and turner. Thomson if he had an ounce of composure in the final third would be in the Scottish premiership by now 

3 hours ago, qpfc said:

I’m not swapping Wotherspoon for Spong at all. There’s an argument for Turner but the last month, he’s really showing us what he’s about now and knows where the back of the net is. Longridge, I’d swap but realistically our starting midfield consists of spong, Thomson and turner. Thomson if he had an ounce of composure in the final third would be in the Scottish premiership by now 

Spong Is a fantastic wee player. 

I "player cammed" him for about ten minutes during the Raith match and he reminded me of Paul Lambert. 

I know I know calm down but he's that type of player. 

Simple gives and then make yourself available again if an out ball is required.

He's also an excellent tackler, not just removing possession but retaining it too. 

He seems just a wee bit short of pace, I haven't seen him run very fast, or maybe his excellent positional awareness doesn't require him to be busting a gut. 

He's my current favourite Queens' player, by quite a wee way. 

Clyde have signed Ian McCall. Says it all for me. I hoped for Ian Murray before he went to Airdrie. Still reckon he’d take us to the Prem, but still not this year even if he started tomorrow. The boy from Dundee Utd, Tam Courts, seemed a good fit for the Process.

As difficult as it is trying to work these youngsters into Championship games it would be impossible in the Prem. Doesn’t matter who head coach is, if we go up too soon these dull times will seem like the good old days compared to getting tanked every week in tier 1. Create the space for Veldman to shape his own team, give him support in January (net zero or not) and let him have a right lash at it. 

6 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Concern is that it’s unlikely for all three to go through the season without injuries suspensions - we’re also a bit light off the bench for centre mid.

Another reason why letting Davidson go was a bit weird; decent both in midfield and at RB, so would have eased the pressure on Longridge and MacPherson, though I suppose whether he'd want another season as a potential non starter is another matter.