The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

In the last 5 full Championship seasons the 8th placed team has finished on 34, 39, 39, 47, and 39 points. With how the table currently looks I think 40ish would hopefully be enough. Are we capable of taking 20+ points from a possible remaining 45? I personally don't think so.

The next few days are going to be very interesting. The club simply has to give Davidson the resources to bring in both a striker and a centre half of a decent standard or we will without a shadow of a doubt be playing League One football next season.

9 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

There’s no denying that was a really disappointing game, especially given they’ve had a fortnight to prepare and that Ayr didn’t look all that brilliant themselves. Stinking refereeing aside, I don’t think we did enough to win that. That said, there’s positives to be taken. 

Paton’s finish was top class. We don’t look as much of a bombscare at the back (Thomson and Bannon incidents aside). Our build-up play is a bit better also now we’ve abandoned the instance on not passing it further than 10 yds. I also didn’t realise Welsh had been sent off (must’ve been in the bog) until after the match also, so that either says something about our character or how crap Ayr were. 

I thought our defensive formation & positioning was really good throughout. The 2nd Ayr goal came as soon as we stepped off and began dropping deeper into our own box however. The reason why that formation works for Scotland is because there’s constantly someone pressing the ball (Usually McGinn, Adams or Dykes).

Understandably, our ‘QP B Graduates’ like Bruce and Mauchin need to find consistency. Both played very well v Dunfermline & Raith, but Mauchin especially was ripped apart in that first half before improving a little. I also felt despite his ‘Wing Back’ position, Bruce didn’t get forward anywhere near as much as he should’ve- although there was a constant lack of runners for him. These guys are still learning, but given our position we don’t have the luxury of a deep well of patience. I’d be looking at playing McPherson for now as he edges it defensively for me. 

I felt Thomas was pretty ineffective as a 10. When he broke through, he either dribbled into bother or was marked out the game. I fear though we don’t have another option to fit Thomas in given Davidson’s preferred 3-5-2 however. Same goes for Turner. He didn’t have anywhere near his usual influence. 

The need for experience and quality is blatantly obvious if we’re to make any go of a relegation battle. At very least Davidson’s said he’s working on bringing two experienced heads in. A Striker (Williamson/McLeish at the moment isn’t good enough be our backup) and CB to pair Bannon are essential. As said above, Celtic B prospects aren’t the ‘experience’ we need.

I agree with this summation. I also like a 3-5-2 set up but we must realise there is no place for Thomas in that set up. He is a winger and very effective at that but bring him into the middle and he just doesn't perform. He cannot be happy with this and I wonder if we might lose him in this window? Also neither Bruce nor Mauchin are up for these positions yet.

Edited by williebraveheart

15 hours ago, QPEast said:

The whole home dugout debate is the biggest nonsense I’ve ever heard and is typical of Queen’s Park fans. 

Can’t believe it was brought up at the AGM.

Tinpot.

It wasn’t brought up at the AGM. The AGM had closed. It was brought up in a general conversation, after the AGM,  about how things had changed for the worse over the last three years. Just one small example.

If that’s the biggest nonsense you’ve heard on social media you’ve a long journey ahead of you on PnB.

I'm sorry, I don't claim to be an expert in reading team formations on the pitch but why do people seem to think that we've played with a back three in variations of 3-5-2 or 5-3-2? I thought we were using a 4-4-1-1 formation with Dom playing behind Paton. 

1 hour ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

I'm sorry, I don't claim to be an expert in reading team formations on the pitch but why do people seem to think that we've played with a back three in variations of 3-5-2 or 5-3-2? I thought we were using a 4-4-1-1 formation with Dom playing behind Paton. 

You had Bannon and Thomson with Robson usually playing a bit wider (almost like a LB) Mauchin and Bruce were notably more advanced, although Bruce for some reason was very reluctant to move forward or make a run. 

It’s still absolutely absurd Paton has 16 goals in this team just over half a season in. Regardless if he’s got 2 years left on his deal, surely he’s offski if we’re in league 1 or even if we retain championship status? He’s only 2 goals behind Murray’s total from this point last year. Stick him in a United/Raith/thistle and he’s probably on 20 goals.

Edited by qpfc

On 10/01/2024 at 16:55, QPEast said:

I can’t see Haughey paying her to go. I think in his eyes, she probably did a good job. 

Unless she does rock up quickly at another post, I tend to believe she stepped down to ill health and didn't want to make a big song and dance about it.

Only The Sun mentioned Leeann Dempster’s health in their clickbait headline. Every other news outlet that reported the agreed statement did so ad literatum, but The Sun include their foreword which introduced two hyperlinked words - cancer and surgery - both of which when clicked led to numerous Sun pages with those two headings, neither of which featured Leeann Dempster and/or QPFC. Link below. And of course the emotive headline, “battle with cancer”.

And to be fair to Dempster, she wasn’t quoted as saying anything about her health, it was just The Sun doing what they do, trying to distinguish an article on a Google search with the trap of spurious language. You’ll notice none of this was in inverted commas, whereas the real quote was. And it’s only what a the Sun “understands”.

image.thumb.png.318e863b863665500d83ffa6f6f62b29.png

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/11754255/leeann-dempster-stands-down-queens-park-hibs-motherwell-cancer/

She had cancer a year ago, been in remission for sometime. Remission means there’s no trace of cancer based on the available testing methods, such as          x-rays, scans, blood tests. But of course a single cell wouldn’t show in these so it’s generally about five years before doctors will say for certainty that a patient is cured. After initial recover from surgery, being in remission allows a patient to get on with their lives. I’m confident with this language as I was diagnosed with skin cancer 13 years ago.

Haughey “introduced” her to the club and he, and others, had enough of her bullshit. I just want to be absolutely clear that the she has left the club because the club no longer need her services, not for health reasons.

But don’t feel too sorry for Ms Dempster. She’s been using her time helping her wife start up a business in North Ayrshire, working with dogs which she loves and which will be therapeutic for her, plus she has a full year’s notice from QP to keep her ticking over. Salary and pension. Roughly £140k, give or take. That’s why the published notification referred to her as “being available”. Not because she’s just lovely, because we’re still paying her wages.

Anyone who wants to believe what the Sun writes probably have enough of their own issues to deal with. Best of luck!

image.thumb.png.10952ff2878b9fc70195d47d90a4f62e.png
IMG_1293.thumb.png.1d29c616f93daea2665edeb7312d8f03.png

5 hours ago, CathcartSkins said:

Very poor refereeing decisions to be encouraging diving.

That said we do tend to create more opportunities for the opposition than they do themselves. 

Welsh was sent off for being silly. His first yellow was for dissent, when the Ref gave a foul against him which it never was. Unless there is VAR  or a Lino intervenes they do not change their mind, so you should just shut up and get on with the game as you are only a bad tackle away from a red card. Which happened.

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Only The Sun mentioned Leeann Dempster’s health in their clickbait headline. Every other news outlet that reported the agreed statement did so ad literatum, but The Sun include their foreword which introduced two hyperlinked words - cancer and surgery - both of which when clicked led to numerous Sun pages with those two headings, neither of which featured Leeann Dempster and/or QPFC. Link below. And of course the emotive headline, “battle with cancer”.

And to be fair to Dempster, she wasn’t quoted as saying anything about her health, it was just The Sun doing what they do, trying to distinguish an article on a Google search with the trap of spurious language. You’ll notice none of this was in inverted commas, whereas the real quote was. And it’s only what a the Sun “understands”.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/11754255/leeann-dempster-stands-down-queens-park-hibs-motherwell-cancer/

She had cancer a year ago, been in remission for sometime. Remission means there’s no trace of cancer based on the available testing methods, such as          x-rays, scans, blood tests. But of course a single cell wouldn’t show in these so it’s generally about five years before doctors will say for certainty that a patient is cured. After initial recover from surgery, being in remission allows a patient to get on with their lives. I’m confident with this language as I was diagnosed with skin cancer 13 years ago.

Haughey “introduced” her to the club and he, and others, had enough of her bullshit. I just want to be absolutely clear that the she has left the club because the club no longer need her services, not for health reasons.

But don’t feel too sorry for Ms Dempster. She’s been using her time helping her wife start up a business in North Ayrshire, working with dogs which she loves and which will be therapeutic for her, plus she has a full year’s notice from QP to keep her ticking over. Salary and pension. Roughly £140k, give or take. That’s why the published notification referred to her as “being available”. Not because she’s just lovely, because we’re still paying her wages.

Anyone who wants to believe what the Sun writes probably have enough of their own issues to deal with. Best of luck!

I'm sorry man but you need to let it go. She was struggling with illness the first 2 months into the season I can tell you that as factual information. Whether it was cancer or something else. 

I'm not saying that excuses anything from her CEO performance. But just drop it honestly. Big dissertation on why you think she wasn't unwell jeezy peeps. 

2 hours ago, Dooflick said:

Welsh was sent off for being silly. His first yellow was for dissent, when the Ref gave a foul against him which it never was. Unless there is VAR  or a Lino intervenes they do not change their mind, so you should just shut up and get on with the game as you are only a bad tackle away from a red card. Which happened.

Your first sentence is undoubtedly correct but can't agree that he should be blamed for receiving the first and it looked more like a yellow for a non- foul anyway. 

1 hour ago, SensibleSpider said:

I'm sorry man but you need to let it go. She was struggling with illness the first 2 months into the season I can tell you that as factual information. Whether it was cancer or something else. 

I'm not saying that excuses anything from her CEO performance. But just drop it honestly. Big dissertation on why you think she wasn't unwell jeezy peeps. 

Agree with you.  I think most of us seem to think she wasn't half as effective as we hoped she'd be. If she was very unwell during her tenure then I am genuinely sorry to hear that and doubtless that may have affected her peformance and public  profile at the club. The detail of that matter, however, is her personal business and not for social media.  Hope she stays well but I am glad she has moved on.

6 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

image.thumb.png.10952ff2878b9fc70195d47d90a4f62e.png
IMG_1293.thumb.png.1d29c616f93daea2665edeb7312d8f03.png

Just let it go

16 hours ago, SensibleSpider said:

Still trying  to make it a health thing. She was overpaid and an underachiever. End of.

I’ll happily let it go when the original poster does his part by accepting passing on gossip created by The Sun isn’t helpful. And the guys who believed him without question started flinging out the red dots.

17 hours ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Agree with you.  I think most of us seem to think she wasn't half as effective as we hoped she'd be. If she was very unwell during her tenure then I am genuinely sorry to hear that and doubtless that may have affected her peformance and public  profile at the club. The detail of that matter, however, is her personal business and not for social media.  Hope she stays well but I am glad she has moved on.

Don't know if this helps in any way re the CEO but I have it on very good info, that she was having 6 month check ups on her illness.

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Still trying  to make it a health thing. She was overpaid and an underachiever. End of.

I’ll happily let it go when the original poster does his part by accepting passing on gossip created by The Sun isn’t helpful. And the guys who believed him without question started flinging out the red dots.

Is it really that important?

On 28/01/2024 at 09:59, Zanetti said:

In the last 5 full Championship seasons the 8th placed team has finished on 34, 39, 39, 47, and 39 points. With how the table currently looks I think 40ish would hopefully be enough. Are we capable of taking 20+ points from a possible remaining 45? I personally don't think so.

The next few days are going to be very interesting. The club simply has to give Davidson the resources to bring in both a striker and a centre half of a decent standard or we will without a shadow of a doubt be playing League One football next season.

In fairness you've made that sound worse than it is. For example in 2018 Falkirk finished 8th on 47 points, but they were 17 points ahead of 9th. The actual 8th place total is irrelevant, what's relevant is the minimum points total that was required to finish 8th. Which was 32, 36, 39, 31 and 39. So 35 on average.

That said, I don't disagree with your estimate of 40 points being the safety line, if not higher. You can make a case for virtually every side from 4th to 9th having a decent end to the season, whether that's through current form like Morton or Airdrie, new managers/signings like ICT, Ayr and even QP, and then players returning from injury like Dunfermline. If Arbroath tail off that will also put the total up as teams will be getting 4 or 6 'easy' points.

To pluck a number out the air I'd go 42 points will be needed.

1 minute ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Aaron Healy out on loan to Dumbarton. Bit surprised it's to Dumbarton but a loan seems sensible... 

I think that's probably a good move for him. If he's ever going to make it at this level he needs to go there and look absolutely dynamite. Hope he does well.