The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I thought McKinstry was good at Motherwell, and was surprised a top flight side didn't pick him up tbh. Reading how poor he's been in your threads was a surprise and I wonder if he's one who'll take a while to realise he needs to use his talents at this level to get higher rather than his CV?

Given how late he signed for us I can only assume he was holding out for a club at a higher level, but I suspect none were willing to give him the time he needed to get match fit.

There should be no consideration signing Mckinstry again for next season. Other than a decent 2nd half at Dunfermline, he’s been as good as a man down on the pitch. Would much rather we tried elsewhere for a replacement 

5 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Still, Davidson's signings have all been spot on so far, presumably because he uses his eyes and brain to pick his targets rather than an algorithm so I have faith in him.

Amen to that.  Had forgotten about Oakley, had put him firmly into the 'RB sticking plaster' list.

I'm sure it's unintentional (or just very, very unfortunate) but every time I hear McKinstry interviewed he just sounds rather arrogant, almost a vibe of being better than where he's ended up - in stark contrast to his performances imho.  With a fit and functioning Grant Savoury I just dont see where he fits into the side - other than on the bench.

5 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

I agree about Thomson, but that would leave the question of how you fit Thomson, Welsh, Savoury & Thomas into Davidson's preferred 5:3:2 formation

We've been experimenting with 3-4-1-2 with Dom Thomas behind Paton & Sheridan so I think Welsh, Savoury, Turner and Thomson make up a decent pool to pick from in the middle of the park. However, I wouldn't say no to a man-eating no 6 with an extra set of lungs. 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

We've been experimenting with 3-4-1-2 with Dom Thomas behind Paton & Sheridan so I think Welsh, Savoury, Turner and Thomson make up a decent pool to pick from in the middle of the park. However, I wouldn't say no to a man-eating no 6 with an extra set of lungs. 

You'd need Scott and AN Other as the wide players in the 4, most likely Savoury would play in that central 10 role, so the two in the middle would be from Thomson, Thomas, Welsh, Turner.  A brave man it'd be to drop Thomas, so if he and Savoury become the creatives it leaves no place for Tino. You're then left picking from Thomson's dynamism or Welsh's experience.....and I can't see either being overly happy on the bench.  Probably my main bug-bear about the system is that the extra CB means that we can't really field our strongest 11....unless Thomson is content with being one of the 3 at the back.

Edited by Spider1975

6 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

Screenshot_20240512-173559.thumb.png.debbcd814c0cd698b400c269d4be6437.png

They really should have had that at lesser... 

I think the game they played there was a very good turnout for the standard of the league, would be very disappointed if they don't try it at least a couple of times next season. Different atmosphere to the usual qp games definitely but absolutely worth the £5 or whatever it was

7 hours ago, starshot131 said:

They really should have had that at lesser... 

I think the game they played there was a very good turnout for the standard of the league, would be very disappointed if they don't try it at least a couple of times next season. Different atmosphere to the usual qp games definitely but absolutely worth the £5 or whatever it was

You’re absolutely right. The women have often been treated as an afterthought this season and next season they should categorically be at lesser. 

I may be chatting out my arse, but am I right in saying the pitch at Lesser has been dug up & relaid?

13 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

You'd need Scott and AN Other as the wide players in the 4, most likely Savoury would play in that central 10 role, so the two in the middle would be from Thomson, Thomas, Welsh, Turner.  A brave man it'd be to drop Thomas, so if he and Savoury become the creatives it leaves no place for Tino. You're then left picking from Thomson's dynamism or Welsh's experience.....and I can't see either being overly happy on the bench.  Probably my main bug-bear about the system is that the extra CB means that we can't really field our strongest 11....unless Thomson is content with being one of the 3 at the back.

It’s a tough one, your middle two could be

Thomson - Welsh/Other

(Other if Welsh is Injured)

Thomas

Savoury - Paton

I don’t see Thomas being played as a CM, he’d be very ineffective there. Given Savoury’s goal scoring form last season however, could we play him as a second striker almost, although we’re sacrificing Sheridan’s aerial threat. 

4 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

You’re absolutely right. The women have often been treated as an afterthought this season and next season they should categorically be at lesser. 

I may be chatting out my arse, but am I right in saying the pitch at Lesser has been dug up & relaid?

I think the pitch at Lesser was being reseeded or something so there is a fair excuse for them not being at lesser and in fairness to the club Craig Joyce regularly talks about the support they have has from the club. That doesn't alter the fact that New Tinto Park is poor in terms of spectator facilities and location.

As the women will be welcoming Rangers, Celtic, Glasgow City, Hearts, Hibs Partick Thistle etc next season, there is potential for reasonable crowds ( and income)  - New Tinto Park  has no seats and is uncovered except for a glorified bus shelter that might accommodate 100 folk (about 25 of whom could actually see the game) - surely a good opportunity to utilise the City Stadium and generate some local interest - and income)

1 hour ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Chase Oakley or re-sign Sheridan if we can?

Someone on the Ayr thread saying Oakley scored 9 league goals in 23/24. Given how poor we were and both Thomas and Paton exceeded that tally it sounds quite low for the team finishing 5th. For me, if Sheridan is still sufficiently fit (and assuming Paton remains) think I'd rather offer Sheridan an extension. 

6 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

New Tinto Park  has no seats and is uncovered except for a glorified bus shelter that might accommodate 100 folk (about 25 of whom could actually see the game) - surely a good opportunity to utilise the City Stadium and generate some local interest - and income)

Not happening, as I understand it. Unless we’re paying to have somewhere else done up, it’s difficult to see how the team will be playing locally. Lesser Hampden really is a vacuum of missed opportunity in every conceivable way. 

22 minutes ago, an86 said:

Not happening, as I understand it. Unless we’re paying to have somewhere else done up, it’s difficult to see how the team will be playing locally. Lesser Hampden really is a vacuum of missed opportunity in every conceivable way. 

any idea why not? - have we promised it to Celtic under 9's?

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Lesser I think sums up the way that the club has been operated in the past couple years; very backwards. I can't wait until we can leave lesser and these banter years behind us.