The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

So, apparently, was Sheridan, and he worked out ok for us in the run in.

You're thinking of Welsh.  Sheridan just never got on the pitch.

Sad to see Bannon go, was hoping for the club to be able to hold on a bit more for the young players than selling them outright (McKenna, Bannon, etc.).

Hopefully this is not a trend but a necessity (at the time) - the club should try and play them for 2/3 years, get a replacement in the meantime (preferably another youth coming through) and sell them on a high while securing it's own future, rather than this stop-and-go period.

27 minutes ago, an86 said:

Entirely predictably, the Celtic game doesn’t look to have captured the imagination. Feels inevitable that we’ll end up squeezed into one section and selling hundreds of away tickets. 

Why would we care about a friendly with likely Celtic B players. 

41 minutes ago, QPEast said:

Why would we care about a friendly with likely Celtic B players. 

In fairness, according to Shields, Celtic are mandated to play a "first team". I don't know the exact terms of that, but I'd imagine it means players that have played x minutes in the premiership last year or whatever. You might not see the full first 11 but there ought to be recognisable names in there.

Worst comes to the worst I've got a pal in the Celtic U18s so I might get to see him getting booted by Charlie Fox

4 hours ago, SpiderFromMars said:

Sad to see Bannon go, was hoping for the club to be able to hold on a bit more for the young players than selling them outright (McKenna, Bannon, etc.).

Hopefully this is not a trend but a necessity (at the time) - the club should try and play them for 2/3 years, get a replacement in the meantime (preferably another youth coming through) and sell them on a high while securing it's own future, rather than this stop-and-go period.

I'd have liked to have kept Bannon another season, but the McKenna one I can understand. I don't think you can justify keeping a sub goalie (albeit the best sub goalie in the league) around to develop when you can get £300k cash in hand. I don't know all the financials but I'd imagine that money went to paying Danny Wilson and co's wages, which kept us up last season

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Entirely predictably, the Celtic game doesn’t look to have captured the imagination. Feels inevitable that we’ll end up squeezed into one section and selling hundreds of away tickets. 

Thought it was ST holders and Member’s only, hence I haven’t given it a passing thought.

13 hours ago, an86 said:

And at £15 for a pre-season game not sure how anything else was ever going to happen.

1 hour ago, On the bench said:

And at £15 for a pre-season game not sure how anything else was ever going to happen.

Exactly.  I think someone at the club has over-estimated how much of a draw watching Celtic is to Queen's Park fans.  If it had been free for season ticket holders I'd probably have gone, but £15 for a friendly a few days before we're away to Peterhead then Hibs in competitive games is a bit hopeful.  

Seeing our paper thin squad played off the park by the Celtic first team (not appealing)

or

Seeing our paper thin squad take part in a training exercise with Celtic B Team (not appealing)

Presumably both options also come with a bunch of local wee guys trying to get in having not been able to get actual tickets 

If a friendly fixture with the Premier league champions doesn't excite then what will?  Personally the Celtic fixture is probably the only one in July that tempts me. No disrespect intended to Peterhead and Co but I've got other things I could be doing on my Summer Saturdays. I would like an away day in Leith for the Hibs game  but a Tuesday night fixture makes that a very tricky ask with work so I reckon I'll end up watching that at home. 

A few good signing announcements might change my mind though but until then I'll probably wait until August to catch a game.