The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

County are a bit of an anomaly in that MacGregor has been involved for years but only recently has it felt like he's taken it up a notch. Of course, selling off your oil and gas business to an industry leader for a huge sum of money will help with that. But County have always had a similar home crowd of about 2000 or so since the mid 00s. 

Aye it was only really 2018-ish when they got relegated where we went public with the 'I'm buying the Championship this season' line and County's spending seems to have snowballed since then, with like you say, no real increase in home crowds (increased away crowds and prize money of course).

He was always doing it, but didn't 'admit' to doing it as such until about 5 years ago.  It's now widely accepted what County managers have, within reason, blank cheques.

4 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

No, not at all but, (and maybe I'm new to this) I don't see Ross County getting half the stick that QP are for also having a rich benefactor, who has been involved since the early nineties and has seen them rise from the Highland League to being established in the Premier League.

I think he does tbf, although even at that there are a few differences - a long time supporter of the club vs a supporter of another club who has got involved for reasons; someone who has built a decent sized and well turned out stadium ideal for their crowds vs someone who has built a massive (and terribly designed by the looks of some of the photos from last night) folly with barely enough room for crowds in the League below your current standing; someone who has been quite forthcoming in the press (sometimes more than is needed) vs someone who is pretty quiet about things and dismissive of criticism. 

4 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Some QP posters are getting stick for their bizarre denial that you're spending significant money on player wages. 

Is also true. Maybe the years of being amateur has dulled their senses and they think that whatever they do it is still with the Corinthian spirit running through the club. I couldn't care less how much they pay players and I'm actually interested to see how the new manager and the likes of Hepburn get on, but the idea that people on a multi club forum may have an interest in the running of other clubs seems to get on some QP fans goat for some reason. Some of them are almost Falkirk like in the way they'd rather it was just their own fans talking about how great everything is.

8 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I think he does tbf,

Yup, see correction post earlier.

8 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

but the idea that people on a multi club forum may have an interest in the running of other clubs seems to get on some QP fans goat for some reason. Some of them are almost Falkirk like in the way they'd rather it was just their own fans talking about how great everything is.

Again, might be worthwhile reading QP fans' comments over the previous 267 pages.  In playing terms, yes, things are as good as they've been for quite a while, save a bit of a blip last season, but in general terms, there's as much critique from QP fans as there is from elsewhere.  It is, as you say, a multi-club forum, I just suppose it'd be nice if there was some new, insightful, interesting and dunno, maybe evidential based commentary, rather than just the same old retreads being repeated ad nauseam.

2 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Did Paton and Savory join for a laugh then? 

Thats why I said "some are on decent salaries"

2 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Did Paton and Savory join for a laugh then? 

That second paragraph is interesting. After having a go at me for making an incorrect statement, you then try and pass off your wage structure by saying that directors and other senior staff will deduct several hundred thousand (How's that for speculation?). However, is there anything in your accounts that says how much your directors received? 

Surely I'm on safe ground to suggest Dempster, Bueker and Coyle (at the time of the accounts) earn "several hundred thousand" pounds between them. 

You can access the latest accounts at Companies House if you need them. 

Am I missing something with Savoury being on a ridiculous wage here ? Im aware he was rated by Peterhead to some degree and I think Airdrie (who were league 1 at the time) and QOTS were interested but I really can’t imagine we pulled out an obscene wage to bring him in. The guys career prior to Peterhead was blighted with injury and didn’t play for anyone for over a year. Just because he had an excellent season this year doesn‘t mean his wage suddenly now blows out every team in the championship

I don’t doubt that Paton and Thomas will be on a decent wage. If you want genuine quality, you need to pay a premium to entice these guys at this level (the 2k suggestion on Thomas is still wild btw). For me, the frustration are comments over the last 2 years which suggests our entire squad are on premiership type wages. I’ll accept Thomas and Paton will be getting a solid contract but you look at some of the core players who have been pivotal reasons in making so much progress on the pitch

Calum Ferrie- Released from Dundee 

Charlie Fox- Released from Bromley

Jack Thomson- Released from Rangers(included an unimpressive loan at Clyde) 

Tommy Robson- Laughing stock amongst many championship fans for his thistle and Falkirk spells 

Lee Kilday- Away now but was a player deemed to be past it when joining in league 2 and struggled massively in league 1 with injuries. Excellent championship season last season 

Jake Davidson- Released from Dundee United after a few unsuccessful loans. Played a massive role at right back and was part of 2 incredibly successful seasons 

Dom Thomas and Simon Murray will always be the two highlighted regarding the first team expenditure and again I’m never going to deny they’ll be on good contracts. However, there’s a reason after 3 full seasons of professionalism, there have been at most, the same 3-4 players named when making Gretna comparisons. That’s simply because when you see the names I listed above, majority of teams at this level would not have any sort of double take if they signed them. 

Sometimes, good coaching and scouting can take some credit maybe ? 

Edited by qpfc

I’d just like to say thus multi-club thing is new. Historically, match threads were open season but club topics were normally closed doors, give or take the odd civilised observation. It seems to me this new version is being engineered by a handful of individuals to mask their obsession with Queen’s Park.

Let it go. Torment The Greenock for a while. Respect your elders.

Yours in sport

On players coming to QP rather than other clubs , there is attractions such as central belt, players taken care of , back room and training set up. It’s not all about money. 
president said we had offers for 3 players recently and we didn’t want them to go, and the players didn’t want to go. 

22 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I’d just like to say thus multi-club thing is new. Historically, match threads were open season but club topics were normally closed doors, give or take the odd civilised observation. It seems to me this new version is being engineered by a handful of individuals to mask their obsession with Queen’s Park.

Yours in sport

Nonsense. The multi-club thing, where fans of other clubs post in the thread dedicated to a specific team, has been ongoing for as long as I've been on this site and probably well before that too. 

1 hour ago, Dti said:

On players coming to QP rather than other clubs , there is attractions such as central belt, players taken care of , back room and training set up. It’s not all about money. 

The Hampden factor will be back as well. It wasn’t far off the main draw back in the day - now it must be the cherry on top if players have got options elsewhere. 

6 hours ago, mcjameos said:

Thats why I said "some are on decent salaries"

Surely I'm on safe ground to suggest Dempster, Bueker and Coyle (at the time of the accounts) earn "several hundred thousand" pounds between them. 

You can access the latest accounts at Companies House if you need them. 

Glad you agree. I'm sure you'll also agree that seing as you gave money for them both that you have infact, bought young players, happy days. 

Are you? You've got QP fans finding it wild that they might be paying large wages, meanwhile you're on safe ground to assume that you're paying several hundred thousand pounds to three people? 

I'm aware which is why I asked you about your directors claim, it was very odd. 

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Yours in sport

That’s a load of shite.

I don’t know how folk are finding the energy to get this worked up about a team that isn’t their’s. I simply couldn’t bring myself to become emotional about an opposition team in this league, unless I was watching a game involving them. 

Edited by an86

27 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Glad you agree. I'm sure you'll also agree that seing as you gave money for them both that you have infact, bought young players, happy days. 

Are you? You've got QP fans finding it wild that they might be paying large wages, meanwhile you're on safe ground to assume that you're paying several hundred thousand pounds to three people? 

Oh dear, I give up. Been interesting. Enjoy your season. 

22 hours ago, mcjameos said:

Hope we do stick with retaining possession and playing it out from the back.  Hoofing it clear (like the tail end if last season) to only have it come straight back at you is never going to win games. As you say we'll lose some stupid goals but we will become more confident / composed and get better at it. 

Yip, I'd like to see where this goes and, of course, we have to accept that we'll be caught out at least once every game. Hoofing it up can work if you have someone like Murray chasing after it, but the high balls to wee guys like Williamson and Shields last year contributed to our downfall.

I've been impressed with what I've seen so far. We'll see how it pans out in the first league match up at Inversneckie.

13 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Yours in sport

No, the multi club aspect has always been a thing. It's mostly that QP have been too shite over the years for many outside of your own fanbase to take an interest.