The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

I’m fairness, we were absolute jobby with eleven men. Incredibly harsh red card from initial viewing but will need to see again to the see gap between the attacker and covering defenders. 

There’s been one man that’s cost us 6 points the last 2 weeks and it’s none of the players. The effort and application shown from the squad has been outstanding so far 

Must admit at the time I thought it was a red - and it's going to continue happening given our obsession with spending ages camped on the oppo box trying to craft the perfect chance, whilst maintaining an incredibly high (and inexperienced) line at the back.

I appreciate he scored but Turner at times looked lost and whilst I appreciate we were down to 10 men, seeing Paton on the edge of our own box receiving a throw in shows just how deep he is going trying to get involved with the play. 

At the start of the season I reckoned we'd be 6th/7th and genuinely I'm still happy with that given the squad and manager inexperience.  Rovers one of the leagues better sides, but the rest of the league will take no prisoners either - we haven't got the cushion of a Cove or Hamilton and I doubt the project will benefit much from a re-visit to L1.....I'm happy to be patient but we can't consistently chuck games away, especially when we've done so much to get our noses in front.

6 hours ago, qpfc said:

I’m fairness, we were absolute jobby with eleven men. Incredibly harsh red card from initial viewing but will need to see again to the see gap between the attacker and covering defenders. 

There’s been one man that’s cost us 6 points the last 2 weeks and it’s none of the players. The effort and application shown from the squad has been outstanding so far 

4:35 is the drag down for the red. I’d say it’s a red, but it was incredibly harsh that a uncalled push on your player happened a few seconds before and then that happened. That keeper is going places, and I wonder how long you have him on contract. Signing below 18 is 3 years max, and he signed January of this year, so you could have a pretty decent window where he may bring some real money.

Interesting that QP's goals came from long balls where we crossed quickly and our forwards could run at/face goal. Can't really remember us getting anything on target with the patient tippy tappy stuff as by the time we got a shot off the Raith defence had flooded the box and were throwing bodies in the way. Is my memory letting me down here or do we just need to have a go at goal more often?

Edited by Stuntiethumper

1 hour ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Interesting that QP's goals came from long balls where we crossed quickly and our forwards could run at/face goal. Can't really remember us getting anything on target with the patient tippy tappy stuff as by the time we got a shot off the Raith defence had flooded the box and were throwing bodies in the way. Is my memory letting me down here or do we just need to have a go at goal more often?

A reluctance of QP players to shoot has been a source of frustration since January 

I don’t get the chat about Paton needing more service, from what I’ve seen the goals he’s scored is from service without that he wouldn’t have as many goals. He said as much in his interview (nice guy btw) 

Actually I think the midfield and wingers have plenty crosses into the box but Paton isn’t there because he plays very deep. Not a reflection on him I think he’s a very good player but to say he needs more service from a footballing perspective is incorrect. Maybe he needs to stay higher in the box he is the striker after all?? Everyone has an opinion 😄

On 01/09/2023 at 16:46, qpfc said:

Tbf I’ve heard McKenna is contracted until 2025. Could be nonsense obviously but I’d imagine if he continues the way he’s going for the entirety of this season, we’ll get a considerably larger fee when he inevitably leaves 

I read txrover's comment above and he may be more up to speed than me on this, but I thought that there's a rule which means you can't offer a youngster a contract past his 17th birthday which is December in the big guy's case. As I say, I could be wrong. Again.

His agent will be weighing up options before he signs anything. 

He kept us in the game on Saturday and is undoubtedly an exceptional talent. Get him selt for a squillion quid with loads of add on clauses and loaned back to us.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

On 02/09/2023 at 21:21, Spider1975 said:

At the start of the season I reckoned we'd be 6th/7th and genuinely I'm still happy with that given the squad and manager inexperience.  Rovers one of the leagues better sides, but the rest of the league will take no prisoners either - we haven't got the cushion of a Cove or Hamilton and I doubt the project will benefit much from a re-visit to L1.....I'm happy to be patient but we can't consistently chuck games away, especially when we've done so much to get our noses in front.

I think you'll be top four with ourselves and Partick. I think Saturday was a bit of an anomaly and your players will take a lot from it. The high line will likely cost you a lot of goals, but I think (as you say) most clubs won't have the depth we do to make the changes to turn that game around.

You're certainly light years ahead of Morton and looked far more effective than Dunfermline's hapless front line. I didn't get to Firhill earlier in the season but much like ourselves they have good depth. L

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I think you'll be top four with ourselves and Partick. I think Saturday was a bit of an anomaly and your players will take a lot from it. The high line will likely cost you a lot of goals, but I think (as you say) most clubs won't have the depth we do to make the changes to turn that game around.

You're certainly light years ahead of Morton and looked far more effective than Dunfermline's hapless front line. I didn't get to Firhill earlier in the season but much like ourselves they have good depth. L

The top 4 now will be the top 4 come the end of the season. Dundee United, Raith Rovers, Queens Park and Partick Thistle - of that I have no doubt 

23 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Any info been posted yet about the Qp vs Dunfermline game on the 16th?

Definitely gonna be at Hampden? Prices etc?

Definitely scheduled for Hampden. Too soon for tickets but you can drop a line here and might get an answer. They’ll at least know prices. Tickets at Lesser were £20 but I wouldn’t be surprised if it sneaks up a quid or two.

tickets@queensparkfc.co.uk

Also, hospitality package now available. Note that this happens at Lesser. Info here…

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/dunfermline-hospitality-now-on-sale/

1 hour ago, Spider1975 said:

I'll take that

I can only think about looking up the table once we can become detached from 9th and 10th by a considerable margin. Early days of course but it seems to be a bit of a circus at Inverness and I’m not convinced with Ayr at all 

1 hour ago, Spider1975 said:

I'll take that

17 minutes ago, qpfc said:

I can only think about looking up the table once we can become detached from 9th and 10th by a considerable margin. Early days of course but it seems to be a bit of a circus at Inverness and I’m not convinced with Ayr at all 

You'll be absolutely fine. You look like you have a reasonably consistent goal scorer in Paton and teams will get caught into pressing high with your style of football letting lads like Thomas do damage. 

You're not hamstrung by a manager who is consistently picking Kirk Broadfoot each week with no signs of a replacement. I think Caley will pick up soon, and it's very hard to tell with Ayr.

On 02/09/2023 at 19:51, an86 said:

We were 1-0 down when the red card incident happened. We were 2-1 up when Robin Veldman started making absolutely mental substitutions. The defeat is on one man and it isn’t the ref. 

It was strange taking off a midfield player and putting on a forward and instead of a defensive type player, e.g.Bannon.

Will Tizzard's red card appeal unsuccessful surprisingly enough.  Real shame as though I don't want to be that person always complaining, I thought the refereeing on Saturday was poor.

Still, will give, I assume, Reid an opportunity - thought he played well against Livingston pre-season

Just now, CathcartSkins said:

£9 per game for the Members to have access, with steward supervision, for their half-time purvey.

I’m completely “meh” on that one. Never liked the two tier setup of the support. Only became a member to vote to go pro, only stayed a member to keep the cup games on the ticket. Free tea for all or free tea for nobody imo.