The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

1 minute ago, MattyD said:

I should have put on a disclaimer. I am massive fan of his so probably biased I suppose just the same as the followers who can’t see past certain other players. 

The point I’m trying to make is the lack of consistency when evaluating player performances. Hepburn is the example Im using but there are plenty of others. 

The certain other players, if it’s who I think you’re getting at, have credit in the bank because they’ve proven they can play very, very well at this level. Something Barry Hepburn is yet to prove he can do. 

1 hour ago, MattyD said:

I agree that’s the game where he had plenty space to make an impact however to make an impact you need to get the ball. He hardly had any of the ball despite being in good positions for a pass, which happens quite regularly. 

He done fine yesterday, just didn’t produce anything magical like we know he can do but that wasn’t all on him.  I actually think he would be better playing at higher level, the style of football in the championship probably doesn’t suit him. 

Where were you yesterday afternoon?

This was the interesting part of Beuker’s rant this week. Not surprising if fans have taken it as a jibe but my guess is this was aimed at the Committee. What we know about them is they are small-minded, conservative with a small ‘c’, out of their depth and at any given time have a two year shelf life. By contrast, Beuker likens himself to Steve Jobs and talks in terms of years whereas any Board in Scottish football talks in terms of weeks and months.

I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t leave soon. He openly refers to van Gaal as his mentor and it’s a perfect opportunity to tactically retreat from the backwaters of Scotland to the safety of Holland. Significantly, the new role that has been touted has no hands-on responsibilities such as recruitment and contracts, which he has full control of at QP. He’s entirely responsible for the squad we have at the moment which is wildly off balance. Veldman’s last two interviews, plus his willingness to change the gung-ho tactics that saw us on that losing streak, suggest to me he’s realised he was told he was getting a Mercedes Benz but it’s actually a kit car with some of the wrong parts delivered. 

I hope Beuker goes. Veldman should stay to see if he has the gumption to speak to the board and demand what he’s short of (Beuker also made some remark recently about “what happens when you can’t afford players” or similar) to be successful. Be the first team coach and let the rest worry about the rest. We don’t have any money so whether it’s Veldman or someone else, the personnel availability will be the same problem, and that includes needing to free up some of the payroll. If the likes of Healy can’t make a tackle all the coaching badges in the world won’t fix that. His men v boys analogy might be clumsy (it is his second language) but he’s only repeating what many on here are saying, and even more thinking. I find his “embarrassing” comment more of a worry. If the boss starts feeling his decisions are the problem he’ll never build a team. 

image.thumb.png.8b8974a55f4e4244d45cfbcc75f5744c.png

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

1 hour ago, an86 said:

As the public face of the first team, the manager is always going to take the flack, though. If you walk into a job, knowing that someone else is calling certain shots relating to tactics or selection, then I have limited sympathy. Why would you put yourself in that situation? 

Don’t know about the ‘why would you..’ but I do have some sympathy.

An example yesterday would be maybe start with Healy/Hepburn and bring on Longridge to help see out the game… that just doesn’t seem to be our vibe.

Not saying he’s completely blameless either - why’s that the 2nd week in a row they’ve been toilet in the 1st and only turned up in the 2nd half / why do we keep inviting crosses into the box under no pressure.

Frustrating thing is we do still seem close to clicking…  spreadsheets and process are never going to get you the performance that rovers dug out yesterday. 

1 minute ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Don’t know about the ‘why would you..’ but I do have some sympathy.

If you take a gig as a head coach, and it is the case that someone else is calling certain shots regarding subs, then you’re making a rod for your own back by accepting those terms. It’s your reputation that takes the hit for results. It’s an issue of self-respect as much as anything. Imagine having to stand there and sign off subs you don’t believe in and then go out and face the music. 

4 minutes ago, an86 said:

If you take a gig as a head coach, and it is the case that someone else is calling certain shots regarding subs, then you’re making a rod for your own back by accepting those terms. It’s your reputation that takes the hit for results. It’s an issue of self-respect as much as anything. Imagine having to stand there and sign off subs you don’t believe in and then go out and face the music. 

Don’t disagree. Also not a big fan of ‘don’t worry about short-term success Zach Mauchin got ten minutes’. 

I feel sorry for Veldman, he looks a broken man in his after match comments. I thought we played well yesterday up until the subs and late goals disaster. Had we won 2-1 against a team 2nd in the league the mood all round would have been very positive. Ten league games without a win speaks for itself. Veldman is no fool, he knows questions are being asked about his tactical ability. He might even quit before he gets axed. 

I reckon like others have already mentioned, he has 2 or 3 more games to start winning or its over. No club is going to accept a failure to win in over a dozen or more league games. He has to prove he can turn things around in the next few games or he is toast.

8 hours ago, It is our time to shine said:

There are quotes such as "its a man's game and playing like men". Alex Bannon also references this in his post-match video (also posted on U Tube).

Whilst I would never want anyone to lose their job, Robin must listen to advice over the next few days and realise that if he doesn't get some experience in and some tried and tested championship level players.................then he will not be here much longer to oversee the Journey and The Process. Despite how much in love with football and young players development a new coach can be, if you don't get results then you don't get the time to develop. It's like an enigma inside a conundrum. There has to be a balance. In saying that, some of the young squad players are giving it their best shot despite the managers mad mad substitutions yesterday, evident in a few other previous matches too ( Raith away and also starting 11 at Partick). Bringing in Barry Hepburn for Louis Longbridge is and will always weaken the team. Longridge busts a gut every game and gives 100%. Hepburn is still a prodigy who will never fulfil his potential until he gets serious about playing man's football. This is not BM under 19 standard with tippy tappy touch football and avoiding a hard tackle. He is treating the club and the team with great contempt for not giving his absolute best. He should be starring every week but fails to turn up and impact the game that you would naturally expect from a loanee from a European Giant.  I would give him 2 months to shape up or send him back to Munich. Healy is nowhere near ready and his lack of guts in getting back for the equalizer told me that , he is nowhere near ready based on the 4 or 5 times we have seen him play this season. Mauchin and Healy defending the right side is under 16 schoolboy tactics or desperate management decisions. And if its anything to do with data referred to in previous posts then pull the plug out of the machines and use your eyes and your gut to keep 3 good players ( 4 including Longridge) on the field and not weaken the team. Get the starting 11 fully fit for 90 minutes and only use the subs if there is a bad injury. Robin needs to get experienced level players lined up for January 2nd transfer window otherwise he won’t be around, and Queens Park will be in  relegation battle that could end badly. The BOD's also need to realise this and give the management a helping hand with some funding for the experienced players that are needed. The entire Queens Park support know this is required. Getting McKinstry fit and getting Grant Savoury back would be like 2 new / fresh players. A striker to help out Ruari Paton, some experience in midfield to hold the team together and finish / close out a game, a couple of "old heads" in the squad and on the bench to either make a difference as an impact substitute or to give experience to the young squad and show them how it’s done, how it’s played out at Championship level. A few more goals from other players is also wanted. Paton on 12, Turner on 5 and no-one else above 3. That’s not good enough from the other forwards and midfielders after 19 competitive games this season. We have shipped 27 goals in the league and another 5 in the cups. That’s 32 in 19 games or 2 goals per game. Does this signify a major defensive issue also ????. Well, I am glad that I off loaded that…..I’m away to apply for my UEFA B licence now 😊

I couldn't be bothered saying anything, but this is a good post.

2 hours ago, MattyD said:

I should have put on a disclaimer. I am massive fan of his so probably biased I suppose just the same as the followers who can’t see past certain other players. 

The point I’m trying to make is the lack of consistency when evaluating player performances. Hepburn is the example Im using but there are plenty of others. 

Well in that case as a massive fan, you should be the one who's the most disappointed with his performance yesterday. He was a ghost. 

3 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Robson and Fox really should have dealt with the cross for Raith’s second goal. Defensively poor, neither takes responsibility to mark the player. Header far too easy for them. 

This…but also if you watch the first Raith goal its both Robson and Fox who don’t defend well that leads to that too.

I even wonder if the substitutions are an easy target. Had Veldman kept McPherson and Dom Thomas on the pitch and the same result happens then he’d have been lambasted for not managing the game properly aswell.

RV is of course ultimately responsible for the game management, but if we are looking objectively 2 of the 3 goals are down to poor defensive play by Robson and Fox, who played the full 90.

Its all about opinions though!

1 hour ago, pmonigatti said:

This…but also if you watch the first Raith goal its both Robson and Fox who don’t defend well that leads to that too.

I even wonder if the substitutions are an easy target. Had Veldman kept McPherson and Dom Thomas on the pitch and the same result happens then he’d have been lambasted for not managing the game properly aswell.

RV is of course ultimately responsible for the game management, but if we are looking objectively 2 of the 3 goals are down to poor defensive play by Robson and Fox, who played the full 90.

Its all about opinions though!

I completely agree, and felt that regarding the first goal too. It was all too easy up against Robson and Fox. Neither of which have had anything near a good spell since our fall off a cliff 9-10 months ago. 

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

If the likes of Healy can’t make a tackle all the coaching badges in the world won’t fix that. His men v boys analogy might be clumsy (it is his second language) but he’s only repeating what many on here are saying, and even more thinking. I find his “embarrassing” comment more of a worry. If the boss starts feeling his decisions are the problem he’ll never build a team. 

image.thumb.png.8b8974a55f4e4244d45cfbcc75f5744c.png

Healy showed some flashes last season to suggest there’s a player there. There were certainly games when you wouldn’t have had him out of place as a Championship level player and he made positive contributions. We’ve not seen that this season. Others have regressed as well. That’s part of the overall story as well. 

Edited by an86

2 hours ago, pmonigatti said:

It’s all about opinions though!

Academy boys Lewis Reid and Alex Bannon have been our best pairing over the last month. The build up is so much better and creates more chances from the fullbacks.

They will get better and better, although with Fox one of the big names and Tizzard a loanee signing they will end up playing more than most.

20 minutes ago, Take Me Home Cathcart Road said:

Academy boys Lewis Reid and Alex Bannon have been our best pairing over the last month. The build up is so much better and creates more chances from the fullbacks.

They will get better and better, although with Fox one of the big names and Tizzard a loanee signing they will end up playing more than most.

Tizzard is not a loanee. He’s our player. 

20 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

sounds like you are actually asking me a question so here's my answer. We had 11 players on the pitch and at least 10 of them are mature enough to continuously play and compete at this level. When I saw the starting eleven, I agreed this was our strongest team barring any current injuries. This 11 train all week to play only once a week and again barring bans or injuries should be able to consistently do so all season. There is no reason to replace any of them with any of the kids on the bench

Sorry for late reply. Some other posters have further and better reinforced my position I was indeed asking, so I appreciate the answer which is that you would not have made any subs from that bench. I can see why you said that but Thomas - whom I feel sometimes looks like our only real creative force -was out on his feet and Veldman only really had Healy who regularly came on as a sub last season as a like for like replacement. Healy had a poor game. That is primarily Healy's fault. Unless we sign different players a different manager might need to make the same decisions.

Edited by Tangled web

5 hours ago, Take Me Home Cathcart Road said:

Totally agree regarding Reid and Bannon currently being our strongest centre back pairing.

They wont be immune to mistakes but I certainly feel more confident when they are in the team although i understand Reid being on the bench was due to management of an injury. 
I think (and hope) we see that pairing again going forward, Fox in particular hasn’t been the calming influence he should be. In truth I think back to last year and felt he was a bit of a liability at times.

Ontop of that, McKinstry getting game time cannot come quick enough!

27 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Huge fan of Reid and Bannon. Nagging doubt that here, if anywhere on the pitch, the best thing for either one’s development would be a bit if experience alongside them. 

I don’t disagree. Really would like us to move to a back 3 to allow that.

20 hours ago, pmonigatti said:

I even wonder if the substitutions are an easy target. Had Veldman kept McPherson and Dom Thomas on the pitch and the same result happens then he’d have been lambasted for not managing the game properly aswell

This is 100% the case. I am going to suggest that our 2nd half game plan was to concentrate on our right and for McPherson and Thomas to work their socks off to create opportunities with the understanding that they would not necessarily need to stay on the park for the full 95 minutes. 75 minutes so far so good. 

Murray sees where this gives him an opportunity and sticks on Dylan Eason - a very good player to be able to bring on - and tells him to stay out on the left wing (first time I have seen Eason play so wide)

Now Raith are getting traction on our left so Veldman puts on the guys that have been training all week to do this job. Mauchin  gives it his best shot - and does OK. Healy is not up to Eason and gets done and Fox let's his man get too much space. The coach can only work with the tools that he has.