The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

8 hours ago, foreverarover said:

I'm sorry Simon Murray ain't a youngster, he was a decent player on a bloody good wage. That deffo isn't the definitive of finding a youngster. 

Agreed, poor example admittedly and should have explained it (and the timeline) better, (he was 27/8 when he joined) the point being although he was a decent player, I'm not sure how many others, given the knee injury were interested, he was obtained for no outlay and sold on for a profit, essentially it could be argued QP added value, (others better informed will correct me, but I think he was the first player QP have received a fee for).   Not so long after Beuker arrived Murray left, (about a year), since when the focus has been on youth.  

Had it not been for his injury, it's not unreasonable to suggest that Grant Savoury may have left over the summer for a profit and although it's (thankfully) gone quiet over the last few months, Callan McKenna was touted as a potential sale too.

I believe that the youth dev stuff is Haughey's vision and a few names were brought to him and dismissed before they landed Beuker. So that would suggest we stay on a similar path? No point in doing all the Elite status stuff and then flushing it to start overpaying for ex-prem jobbers. Obviously it would be nice to hear this from the man himself but we've never had that pleasure/courtesy. 

I'd be pretty stunned if we didn't have a transition plan in place. The rumour has been out there for long enough. New guy will have his own ideas / want to put his own stamp on things but would be daft to rip up the structure and processes that are already in place. 

17 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

The £5m question and the acid test of 'the vision'.  Can they, have they, found someone to continue the project in a similar way?  

How much of the youth development plan was down to Haughey's vision, or has it been Becker's ambition that has driven it?  If the latter, have QP identified someone to continue that work and will they be doing so with the intellectual property acquired over the last few years?

My fear, I suppose and despite the ups and downs of the last 18 months, is that given the 10 year deal, succession planning hasn't been at the forefront of the Leadership Teams' thoughts and with that comes a bit of regression or, God forbid, a quiet shelving of the whole idea?  

Then again, I am an eternal pessimist!  

I’d say your last para is pragmatic, not pessimistic. 

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

My immediate hope from all this is that Veldman takes the opportunity to breath and make his own choices for the rest of this season. He can still be with the programme without feeling the pressure to throw on 3 subs with minutes to go and a win in hand. 

Despite my seething about him, I’ve softened having had a bit of time to reflect. Could tell how much that Raith Rovers result hurt him and he seems a genuinely nice guy. The fact that Malky Mackay is unemployed also has me firmly back aboard the Veldbus. Really want it to work for both him and us. 

Utterly lifeless performance. Every single game, the first thing that goes wrong we simply don’t recover. Over 100 days since we last won in the league and over 100 days since we last stopped a cross. Pathetic defending all round once again 

Mckinstry granted he clearly isn’t fit was so so poor for the 2nd goal. Zero attempt to stop the cross

Desperately want this to work for Veldman but nobody is learning and we’re making the same errors week after week 

Morton away mid December is still bookmarked as the game Veldman will get sacked if we’ve made zero progress until then imo 

We neither have the players nor the management for this division. I have no argument with trying to develop our own youngsters but we have gone grossly over the top with this plan. I remain to be convinced that we are not being taken for a bunch of mugs for somebody else's plaything. Emperor's new clothes comes to mind.

3 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

We neither have the players nor the management for this division. I have no argument with trying to develop our own youngsters but we have gone grossly over the top with this plan. I remain to be convinced that we are not being taken for a bunch of mugs for somebody else's plaything. Emperor's new clothes comes to mind.

Awful toothless lacklustre performance. Its slow motion football being played in slo-mo reply tempo. We can't hurt any defence if we allow them 20 seconds to get back and behind the ball on every attack.  Ben Mc Pherson where were you tonight Son. Your player got MOM for Thistle. That's not good enough for youth standard. 2nd goal killed.the game. Agree with QPFC on McKinstry not even getting a tackle in to stop the cross. We completely capitulated in the last 15 minutes of the 1st half and didn't show up for the 2nd half. I'm worried about the fact that we keep going behind ....I'm really worried about the guts in this team 

I doubt there is a team in any Scottish league who would accept this run of results. The last time we won a game of any importance was way back in August. I think we all keep hoping that Veldman and this pool of players will turn things around but it just feels like one step forward is always followed by two steps back.

Today was another opportunity to show we were making progress and once again it turned out to be a massive disappointment. It now feels inevitable that Veldman will go and the plan will need to be adjusted. It's just a case of when.

28 minutes ago, Mission said:

I doubt there is a team in any Scottish league who would accept this run of results. The last time we won a game of any importance was way back in August. I think we all keep hoping that Veldman and this pool of players will turn things around but it just feels like one step forward is always followed by two steps back.

Today was another opportunity to show we were making progress and once again it turned out to be a massive disappointment. It now feels inevitable that Veldman will go and the plan will need to be adjusted. It's just a case of when.

We would! One win in eleven...

I've seen us lose 8 at Ibrox in a Scottish Cup tie, I've seen us lose 6 at Rugby Park in the cup, but both times I stuck it out to the end. Today I walked out with 10 - 15 minutes to go, so pish was that performance. The first time I've left a Queen's game early. Was there anyone left at the end?

2 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

I've seen us lose 8 at Ibrox in a Scottish Cup tie, I've seen us lose 6 at Rugby Park in the cup, but both times I stuck it out to the end. Today I walked out with 10 - 15 minutes to go, so pish was that performance. The first time I've left a Queen's game early. Was there anyone left at the end?

As an aside the highlight of that game at Ibrox was seeing Rangers fans being arrested for fighting with each other.