The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

11 hours ago, Zanetti said:

In terms of another option up front, Davidson really needs to be looking for essentially someone who brought the same traits as Sheridan to the team, but who can last more than about 60 minutes; good in the air, can hold the ball up, and get behind defenders. They don't need to be a prolific scorer if they work well and Paton carries on doing what he does best.

I would agree we need a replacement for Sheridan, as that was a system that worked wonders in avoiding relegation.

Going forward I wonder whether CD changes/ develops how we set up next season. 

What got us here does not necessarily get us to where we want to be next. 

Can't agree with the "replace Sheridan" sentiments enough. Sadly, modern football looks to have one lone striker rather than the two and it makes your team a bit one dimensional. You could see the difference when Sheridan partnered Paton last year and when Murray had a partner previously.

I'm wondering if we didn't Sheridan a contract or he has other offers.

13 hours ago, QP's in my DNA said:

Welcome Adam.......but like any new poster on any fans forum, and given your "pals" comments.?

It would be nice for us on the Queen's Park forum "pay at the gate",  supporters to know the following   🐵

Why should we    2) laugh at Inverness ????

I, like many Queen's fans, who have been lucky enough over the years to attend not only home, but away games, at Inverness.....  and  Dingwall, Elgin, Peterheid, Cove , Montrose and best of all for an away day...Arbroath. I've scrounged lifts, borrowed bus fares, dodged train barriers, but of course I've always payed to get in.

Your "new" first post makes me think you are the kind of guy who is here to tell us that the complete mis-management that is the redevelopment of Lesser Hampden was not the fault of any current QP Committee member, and we should ignore such disgraceful decisions concerning  building a glorified "Punch and Judy" box to house those self imagined glitterati.

So Adam could you answer the following questions................after all, it is close season (for us), so we are desparate  for any news.

1:- Do you have any connection with any QP committee member ?      You don't have to say which one !

2:- Do you have any connection with  CITY ?????  in all it's manifistasions ????

2:- Do you have any connection with any football club in the Glasgow area that 99.99 % of the rest of the QP family think are toxic ?

Well of course, It would be nice to believe, you' re a genuine , brand new, football  fan with an interest  in QP, brought about by the  fantastic efforts of certain members of the hard working staff that go unrecogniseat The Nc Alpine StIUM

If your a Queen’s Park fan like you say you are, you should recognise Adam.

14 hours ago, QP's in my DNA said:

Welcome Adam.......but like any new poster on any fans forum, and given your "pals" comments.?

It would be nice for us on the Queen's Park forum "pay at the gate",  supporters to know the following   🐵

Why should we    2) laugh at Inverness ????

I, like many Queen's fans, who have been lucky enough over the years to attend not only home, but away games, at Inverness.....  and  Dingwall, Elgin, Peterheid, Cove , Montrose and best of all for an away day...Arbroath. I've scrounged lifts, borrowed bus fares, dodged train barriers, but of course I've always payed to get in.

Your "new" first post makes me think you are the kind of guy who is here to tell us that the complete mis-management that is the redevelopment of Lesser Hampden was not the fault of any current QP Committee member, and we should ignore such disgraceful decisions concerning  building a glorified "Punch and Judy" box to house those self imagined glitterati.

So Adam could you answer the following questions................after all, it is close season (for us), so we are desparate  for any news.

1:- Do you have any connection with any QP committee member ?      You don't have to say which one !

2:- Do you have any connection with  CITY ?????  in all it's manifistasions ????

2:- Do you have any connection with any football club in the Glasgow area that 99.99 % of the rest of the QP family think are toxic ?

Well of course, It would be nice to believe, you' re a genuine , brand new, football  fan with an interest  in QP, brought about by the  fantastic efforts of certain members of the hard working staff that go unrecogniseat The Nc Alpine StIUM

Aren't you just an absolute ray of sunshine.

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Can't agree with the "replace Sheridan" sentiments enough. Sadly, modern football looks to have one lone striker rather than the two and it makes your team a bit one dimensional. You could see the difference when Sheridan partnered Paton last year and when Murray had a partner previously.

I'm wondering if we didn't Sheridan a contract or he has other offers.

the other problem with replacing Sheridan is that players of his quality are hard to find and every club is looking for one (or two). I suspect we only got Sheridan because no one, other than Davidson, thought he was a player of that quality. Hopefully Davidson knows of some more, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Might point to a more prominent role for McLeish next year (which I’m fully in favour of) but a bit of experience to help with Ruari’s development would be ideal.

I know we’ve got a semi-disgruntled St Johnstone fan who keeps his eye on here. Did CD play two up front for Saints? 

1 hour ago, Arachnophile said:

the other problem with replacing Sheridan is that players of his quality are hard to find and every club is looking for one (or two). I suspect we only got Sheridan because no one, other than Davidson, thought he was a player of that quality. Hopefully Davidson knows of some more, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'd much rather be in a position where we need someone who can win headers and be a general nuisance to opposition defences than be looking for an outright goalscorer! Fortunately we have one of those, and they're much harder to come by.

18 hours ago, Dave said:

IMO, because they acted like absolute clowns when pumping a dejected, disjointed Robin Veldman side, and fluked a win over us in the run-in while telling us we'd be going down with the Arbroath. 

Also, Duncan Ferguson on £5,000 a week. 

The rest of your post is not opinion and is utter nonsense. Any new QP fan active at games and/or online is welcome. There will be plenty that have been here for years with wild & varying views on everything behind the scenes that we won't all agree with.

And as for your comment about being connected with Rangers or Celtic, open your eyes and realise almost everyone in this city will be. I grew up in a Rangers supporting family until I found my own way about 17 years ago. If you're going to instantly disapprove of anyone who already has Celtic or Rangers connections, you're not going to grow a support in Glasgow. We need to encourage those willing to follow QP over them.

Was this posted from the sandy beaches of Antalya? 

19 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Alan Irvine was an exceptional talent and made the goal that was my best moment as a QP fan when he crossed for Gerry Crawley to score at Stenny to complete a 4-3 win from being three goals down in 1981 when we won the Second Division.

It was a really special team which included possibly the best technical footballer I've seen in a QP jersey, John McGregor, who went to Liverpool.

That Stenny match was unforgettable! 3-0 down at one stage and got it back to 3-1 by half time. Pitch invasion when the 4th went in!

That really was some team - I was working the car park when the Chairman of Liverpool swung by in a Bentley or similar to check out John McGregor. I also remember a wonderful volley from him struck from outside the 18 yard box from a rehearsed corner. 

Alan Irvine's wonder goal from his own half v Partick Thistle already been mentioned. 

15 minutes ago, CTQP1867 said:

That Stenny match was unforgettable! 3-0 down at one stage and got it back to 3-1 by half time. Pitch invasion when the 4th went in!

That really was some team - I was working the car park when the Chairman of Liverpool swung by in a Bentley or similar to check out John McGregor. I also remember a wonderful volley from him struck from outside the 18 yard box from a rehearsed corner. 

Alan Irvine's wonder goal from his own half v Partick Thistle already been mentioned. 

I remember that day as if it was yesterday. I was a ballboy back then between 1980-82 and we were to play the Stenny ballboys that day. We were due to travel on the supporters bus to get through for the game and our game and am sure there were 2 buses that day going through. We got on the bus and it got down to Cumberland Street and broke down while the other bus was away ahead and didnt know our bus had broken down. They couldnt get another bus as a replacement, so we had to walk all the way up to Queen Street Station to get the train through, so we didnt get there until after the game was well into the first half and found out we were 3-0 down. Our game didnt go ahead due to only having so many of us there, who were on the other bus, and the rest of us on the broken down bus. It was amazing watching us come back from 3-0 down and win 4-3 and at the end of the game due to having only 1 bus there, there were the supporters from the broken down bus to get back to Glasgow as well as the ones who travelled through on it and it became full up and no seats or room left, so the ones who hadnt got the bus just ended up getting the train back to Glasgow and so ended up just myself and one of the other ballboys left and one one of the committee members said to go with him and he would sort out getting us back to Glasgow, so we ended up going for after match pies/sandwiches with the players, management, committee and we came back to Hampden on the team bus with them which was an experience.

That game was mega special!

I remember being on the bus that broke down and heading to Queen Street station only to find out that the train would get us there well after kick off. Undeterred, a few of us headed to Buchanan Street bus station, but again, the bus wouldn't get us there til after 3 p.m.

Desperate times call for desperate measures-TAXI! 

Can't remember what it cost five of us but it seemed like a King's ransom at the time. 

We made it in time and you can imagine how we were feeling as Stenny' s third goal went in without reply......

Contrast that with the way we were feeling when our fourth hit the back of the net!

Magical!

'mon the Spiders!🕷️🕸️ 

I remember a few going to try and get other ways of getting to Larbert since the train wouldnt get there til after kick off. We were lucky as missed seeing all the Stenny goals go in and just saw the QP goals go in 

2 hours ago, CTQP1867 said:

That Stenny match was unforgettable! 3-0 down at one stage and got it back to 3-1 by half time.

Seems a lot of people on here were also at this game. Was standing near the halfway line with my Dad and had the dubious pleasure of seeing all the Stenny goals. At 3-0 down an older Stenny fan near us was shouting (for what seemed like forever) about how crap we were and couldn't understand how we were top. It was quite funny watching him go quiet when he found out why.

2 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Was this posted from the sandy beaches of Antalya? 

After a good few Efes as well. I'm glad it made sense. 

58 minutes ago, Dave said:

After a good few Efes as well. I'm glad it made sense. 

Fetch Assombalonga from Antalyaspor on your way back please 😁. He's out of contract and should be a cracking partner with Paton up front. 

Good memories there of that Stenny game. Pre mobile phone, of course, so no one knew what had happened to the other bus until the ones that had travelled by bus / taxi / train dribbled in. As bus convenor, I took a verbal pasting that day, but it all ended up ok.

Posted (edited)

In other news, this year's FA Cup final will be the first contested by the same teams in consecutive years since QP and Blackburn Rovers tussled for it back in 1884 and 1885.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

9 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

In other news, this year's FA Cup final will be the first contested by the same teams in consecutive years since QP and Blackburn Rovers tussled for it back in 1884 and 1885.

Were you the stagecoach convenor for those games?

1 hour ago, harlowspider said:

Were you the stagecoach convenor for those games?

Indeed! Worst part of the trip was the pigeons we used to send back the scores during the game crapping all over us on the way down.