The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Glen Johnson to leave the club...

I can't see this as good news, obviously the guy has family reasons which is fair enough but for us he's been brilliant, can't imagine we'd have the best goalie in the league and have had a goalie with such a price tag if not for him. I wonder if we'll get an adequate replacement

Also, with him and nujiten leaving, you wonder how much continuity there is in the coaching staff for us. Are we going to wind up with a completely different staff from what we had this time last year?

Posted (edited)

Very sad to see Johnson go. The improvement in Calum Ferrie is quite stark and we sold a (big!) 17 year old wean to Bournemouth for a few quid under his watch.

All the best and many thanks.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but the English media linking Ruari Paton to Port Vale.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but the English media linking Ruari Paton to Port Vale.

250k bid, their fans are claiming.

It's a lot of money but I think his goals are more valuable; we're unlikely to find a proper replacement for him.

23 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Even for a club like Port Vale, that's not a stack of cash. Replacing him would be horrendously difficult for us. Hopefully it's a loada mince.

Was in the butchers today and you won't get much mince for £250,000.

46 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

250k bid, their fans are claiming.

It's a lot of money but I think his goals are more valuable; we're unlikely to find a proper replacement for him.

I would be telling them to stick a zero on the end & we'll think about it

Huge blow if it’s ultimately true. I think there’s no doubts when Paton signed a 3 year deal last summer, there would be an intention to sell him if he performs well for the club but i was always hoping this scenario would arise next summer and not this year. I’d be looking for slightly more than 250k given his contract status, age and goal record. 

The margins are so fine in the championship, where losing a natural goalscorer could plummet you right down to the bottom of the table 

Makes the Sheridan release all the more baffling if Paton’s offski 

7 minutes ago, QPEast said:

Let's get real, we aren't rejecting a 250K bid for any player.

Don’t see why we shouldn’t be looking for more money. Goalscorers at any level come at a premium and there’s no doubts that there will be other suitors down south willing enough to pay that fee. Paton’s current stock is sky high and given he’s got 2 years on his deal left, 23 years old, consistently scores and is never injured, we should be trying to get teams down south to pay over the odds

34 minutes ago, QPEast said:

Let's get real, we aren't rejecting a 250K bid for any player.

I don't think so either, but that doesn't mean we couldn't get more. That's in the range of what Ayr got for Akinyemi, who had a lot less time left on his contract, at an older age, from a club playing at a lower level.

8 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I don't think so either, but that doesn't mean we couldn't get more. That's in the range of what Ayr got for Akinyemi, who had a lot less time left on his contract, at an older age, from a club playing at a lower level.

Yeah we got £300,000 (ish) plus add-ons

I think interest and bids for Paton were inevitable but the teams that have been linked with him so far have not spent that kind of transfer fee for a player in 20 years or more if ever. If he is to be sold it needs to be done early in the summer and not at the end of the window so we have enough time to source a proper replacement. A good chunk of the fee would need to be put back into his successor and the first team squad otherwise losing our star striker would be a huge gamble.

Also worth noting that 250k is slightly less than the prize difference between finishing 3rd and 8th in the Championship last season. A player of Paton's calibre is worth more than just what you can sell him for (unless he's just absolutely desperate to leave, which would surprise me).

57 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Also worth noting that 250k is slightly less than the prize difference between finishing 3rd and 8th in the Championship last season. A player of Paton's calibre is worth more than just what you can sell him for (unless he's just absolutely desperate to leave, which would surprise me).

If there’s interest from England, I think most would want to go. It’s a short career and a good season could see him go up another level. The money down there, even if he only made it to League One, is very, very decent. 

Schoolfriend and fellow Queens Park fan Mark Mackill has penned the lyrics to a catchy tune for Scotland at the Euros. Have a listen to band Kuil perform it, enjoy and share. It's rather good!