The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

The club are absolutely at it announcing B team signings. The lack of self awareness is ridiculous 

Summer Recruitment been a total joke (again) and once again the communication from the club is back to being totally non existent  

There is zero buzz about the upcoming season. We stayed up by the skin of our teeth last season and currently we’re in a worse position, on paper at least. I thought this summer would be a real opportunity to kick on and show how serious the club are about being a stable championship club but there are zero signs of that 

Is there any clarification on Stuart Mckinstry or is he just going to disappear into the abyss by the club and pitch up randomly elsewhere 

Obviously I'm in the minority here but I don't think announcing a signing like McKenzie is a bad thing at all. We needed depth at LB, we all knew that, and now we have it. I don't expect him to be better than Scott but if he's at roughly camy Bruce level then I think that's a valuable player to have. So long as we have a couple of exciting signings at some point then I'm perfectly happy for us to scoop up all the rejected old firm b team players.

I imagine there will be more signings in the near future, but none of us know. Stay calm folks

11 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

Really grim reading when you see all the teams moves listed like that

WTF are we doing 

30 minutes ago, starshot131 said:

Obviously I'm in the minority here but I don't think announcing a signing like McKenzie is a bad thing at all. We needed depth at LB, we all knew that, and now we have it. I don't expect him to be better than Scott but if he's at roughly camy Bruce level then I think that's a valuable player to have. So long as we have a couple of exciting signings at some point then I'm perfectly happy for us to scoop up all the rejected old firm b team players.

I imagine there will be more signings in the near future, but none of us know. Stay calm folks

Our current squad is weaker than the one which only just hobbled across the finish line last season, and we've not even been rumoured to be interested in any of a number of players who are exactly what we need, and have ended up at other Championship clubs.

The League Cup starts in less than two weeks and our only signings so far are a backup goalkeeper and a young boy for the reserve team. Don't think it's unreasonable for people to be at the very least losing their patience a bit, given how last summer's recruitment ended up going.

Just now, adamqpfc said:

can't say i'm overly moved by this friendly tomorrow night, will probably be a last min decision. i take it most are in the same boat ?

I’m really hoping there will be a few recognisable “trialists” in our team before they are announced.

Absolutely won’t happen though. 

With Dunfermline adding Wotherspoon (good signing) we are now well clear in last place in terms of number of signings.

To the shock of nobody, the model of “Callum decides what players he wants and Darren signs them” isn’t working  

4 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Our current squad is weaker than the one which only just hobbled across the finish line last season, and we've not even been rumoured to be interested in any of a number of players who are exactly what we need, and have ended up at other Championship clubs.

The League Cup starts in less than two weeks and our only signings so far are a backup goalkeeper and a young boy for the reserve team. Don't think it's unreasonable for people to be at the very least losing their patience a bit, given how last summer's recruitment ended up going.

I do think though that we have a better squad than the one that started last season, and really that was the issue. If we play as we did in the second half of last season then we shouldn't be in a relegation place.
As I see it it's:
McKenna -> Ferrie
Longridge -> Longridge
Fox -> Fox
Tizzard -> Tizzard
Robson -> Wilson
Spong -> Scott
Thomson -> Thomson
Turner -> Welsh
Thomas -> Thomas
Hepburn -> Savoury
Paton -> Paton

I don't see any downgrades in that team tbh. We need to remember that last season was one long losing streak followed by a normal second half of a season, it seems a lot of people forget just how damaging the Veldman era was for us.
If anyone wants to bring up Davidson's PPG, now would be the time!

I accept there have been losses since the end of last season, but we will realistically still get at least one big signing and we will go to the loan market. We will be fine, I really do believe that. Davidson is a good manager and he knows what he's doing, and we have a good starting 11 here. Depth has improved since the start of last season, and will be helped by loans.

With regards to people losing their patience given how last year went, people seem to be complaining that we're not doing what we did last year. A lot of what I've seen has been "by this point we had made x signings last year" - clearly that didn't work out very well for us. 

Club needs to make more signings, but it has two months to do so. We don't need to get so worried before the team have even kicked a ball

Not downgrading from dross like Barry Hepburn is not the benchmark we should be going for though.

We just got over the line last season and the squad was dead on its feet by the end of that Airdrie game.

All the other teams in the league, all of them, have recognised the importance of doing good business early and not scrambling around at the end of the transfer window.

I have no doubt Davidson knows exactly what he wants/needs, he expressed frustration himself already at missing out on players. I fear our sham Director of Football model is to blame.

26 minutes ago, starshot131 said:

I do think though that we have a better squad than the one that started last season, and really that was the issue. If we play as we did in the second half of last season then we shouldn't be in a relegation place.
As I see it it's:
McKenna -> Ferrie
Longridge -> Longridge
Fox -> Fox
Tizzard -> Tizzard
Robson -> Wilson
Spong -> Scott
Thomson -> Thomson
Turner -> Welsh
Thomas -> Thomas
Hepburn -> Savoury
Paton -> Paton

I don't see any downgrades in that team tbh. We need to remember that last season was one long losing streak followed by a normal second half of a season, it seems a lot of people forget just how damaging the Veldman era was for us.

I accept there have been losses since the end of last season, but we will realistically still get at least one big signing and we will go to the loan market. We will be fine, I really do believe that. Davidson is a good manager and he knows what he's doing, and we have a good starting 11 here. Depth has improved since the start of last season, and will be helped by loans.

With regards to people losing their patience given how last year went, people seem to be complaining that we're not doing what we did last year. A lot of what I've seen has been "by this point we had made x signings last year" - clearly that didn't work out very well for us. 

Club needs to make more signings, but it has two months to do so. We don't need to get so worried before the team have even kicked a ball

Yes we do

As said before fighting for bottom half   no intention of going for it

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, starshot131 said:

As I see it it's:
McKenna -> Ferrie
Longridge -> Longridge
Fox -> Fox
Tizzard -> Tizzard
Robson -> Wilson
Spong -> Scott
Thomson -> Thomson
Turner -> Welsh
Thomas -> Thomas
Hepburn -> Savoury
Paton -> Paton

I honestly have no idea how you can look at the business other clubs are doing and be comfortable with where our squad is. The division is a lot more balanced now, there won't be an Arbroath for us to take 12 points from, so we'll need to be better than we were last season.

That's why Davidson's points per game (which would've had us 5th averaged out across the whole season, I think) doesn't matter either. I agree that he's a good manager, but how do you know he's also not unhappy with the fact that we targeted a few players like he mentioned in his recent interview and didn't get them?

Fully agree that our starting 11 is solid enough, but what happens when Welsh's injury history catches up with him, Wilson ends up out for a month because of his apparent fitness problems, or even Paton takes a knock or gets suspended? Do we even know if Savoury will be ready for the new season starting? Depth is what let us down last season, so people are absolutely right to be frustrated with us, as of yet, doing nothing about it.

Not being as shit as we were shouldn't be the objective when we have a solid group of players under contract and something to build on. I don't expect us to be competing with Raith or Thistle for signings, but Cammy Ballantyne for example would've been ideal for our right back problem and we weren't even one of the clubs taking a look at him (if you believe the press).

The loan market will always be useful for clubs at this level, but it's incredibly hit or miss and not something I'd like to see us hedging all our bets on. I'm sure the signings will come, but at this stage we've objectively not done anywhere near enough.

Edited by Zanetti

Almost like having a director of football with no experience, not even a little, no experience would cause a slow intake of players as he got up to speed with the role. 

2 hours ago, Gall09 said:

I’m really hoping there will be a few recognisable “trialists” in our team before they are announced.

Absolutely won’t happen though. 

Yup  maybe it will  Tommy Rialist + Tomas Rilaist  😂

Look, I am as concerned as anyone else at the lack of visible action on the signing front.  When the club tells you nothing, Its very easy to believe that nothing is exactly what is happening. 

Hopefully we are wrong and there is stuff going on behind the scenes. There is still over 4 weeks until our first league match. I can't believe we will not have made significant signings before then. 

I hope.

In the meantime some kind of statement of intent from the club would be helpful - if they are hoping to bring in a certain number, just tell us. 

On a side note, you have to wonder if some other teams see this season as the best chance to get promotion (with no clear and obvious favourite) and might just be over-extending themselves financially a bit.