The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

2 hours ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Callum's pre-match interview talking again about his preference for a back four but being unable to play it due to injuries but will do once players return and a signing "that is almost over the line" comes through. Wonder if that signing is Ujdur? If so, it sounds close by the way Callum is talking.

It will be Ujdur. Good player.

17 hours ago, Zanetti said:

I genuinely don't believe it for one second. There were quite a few clubs after him, and the rumour last month was around 250k. Negotiations also apparently went on for weeks; there's no way it was to walk away with such a low amount, even if there are significant add-ons.

Even £250k is ridiculously cheap for talent like that with two years left on his contract.

6 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

Likewise, I hope that report isn't accurate and in all other cases would give it zero credit, but there's always that 5% of me thinking that this is a QP that has an unnerving ability to shoot itself in the foot sometimes and previously allowed a Championship top scorer to leave for very little.

5% is very gracious. With Team Haughey not involved in the first team activities that leaves all transfer business conducted by the same people who a) gifted our Home to the SFA b) blew over a million quid on a construction contract that left us with a pile of steel and a few holes and c) did the team sheets at Inverness.

The list of transfer activity in this league is a fair reflection of who is going for it, and who is hanging on. Tonight’s game might be our last win for a while. Enjoy yourself etc etc.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/scottish-championship-transfers-summer-2024

I think our incoming transfers have all been solid in isolation; had we not lost Paton, Wilson, Bannon, and likely Fox for the majority of the season to injury, I'd be feeling really good about the season ahead. As it stands however there's still a lot of work to be done unfortunately.

2 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

It will be Ujdur. Good player.

Reckon it will be a back five tonight.  Scott, Reid/Tizzard, Thomson, Kerr, Mauchin.  Some good players in there but they won't have played much together as a unit. Will be a challenge to keep a clean sheet.

50 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

5% is very gracious. With Team Haughey not involved in the first team activities that leaves all transfer business conducted by the same people who a) gifted our Home to the SFA b) blew over a million quid on a construction contract that left us with a pile of steel and a few holes and c) did the team sheets at Inverness.

The list of transfer activity in this league is a fair reflection of who is going for it, and who is hanging on. Tonight’s game might be our last win for a while. Enjoy yourself etc etc.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/scottish-championship-transfers-summer-2024

Love the positivity- no way are we sure to win tonight 

30 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Reckon it will be a back five tonight.  Scott, Reid/Tizzard, Thomson, Kerr, Mauchin.  Some good players in there but they won't have played much together as a unit. Will be a challenge to keep a clean sheet.

If CD is keen on changing to a back four then I'd hope tonight would give him the opportunity to try it out with relative comfort, either way I'm looking forward to seeing who he goes with.

51 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I think our incoming transfers have all been solid in isolation; had we not lost Paton, Wilson, Bannon, and likely Fox for the majority of the season to injury, I'd be feeling really good about the season ahead. As it stands however there's still a lot of work to be done unfortunately.

Yeah, weirdly it's Fox and the still absent Savoury who are the ones who are tipping the balance towards pessimism at the moment for me.

4 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

So….how much do you read into the fact there are two building control officers chatting with a QP rep on the touchline?

Stadium probably riddled with RAAC. 

1 hour ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

A double for Roddy before halftime. Could be turning out to be a great signing.  

Remind me to thank Caley Thistle for their help.

Seems to be a bit more like what I expected mckinstry to be

Speaking of, any word on the mystery man?

2 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

So….how much do you read into the fact there are two building control officers chatting with a QP rep on the touchline?

Were there any brown envelopes changing hands?

7 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

After tonight I'm convinced more than ever that Lesser is unsuitable for Championship football.

As for the game - some nice goals in a routine win. McGregor looks a good buy, Rudden did some nice lay offs and at other times treated us to some fresh air shots. A couple of youngsters given a debut as subs but I wouldn't be expecting them to make regular appearances once the real stuff starts. Oh aye, and the centre back situation got downright surreal when Tizzard had to leave injured and there was no Reid on the bench (injured or suspended?). The much awaited signing from Inverness seemed a little closer when the rumour went round that Freddie had his photo taken with him. We probably need another two centre halfs minimum and another striker and maybe another right back as Cammy Kerr was playing on the left side of central defence.

Thought we played well enough tonight, Elgin's press was pretty good in the first half at times but ultimately it was a professional performance and we got the job done. Echo the comment about MacGregor, I think he's going to be a brilliant signing for us, absolutely bursting with creativity.

Have a feeling that how these league cup games have gone so far will be fairly reflective of the way this season does in general, unless we do some serious work in the remainder of the window; we'll be decent going forward and no doubt score plenty, but we'll also concede regularly with some absolute stinkers.

Ujdur was at the game tonight though, kitted out in a full QP tracksuit so that must be imminent. Another defender or two and who knows?

My take on the evening. Good, solid performance. Could have been a few more. Second half was pretty impressive. Wish our defenders’ legs would stop falling off. Lesser Hampden is absolutely rubbish. 

I'm actually wondering if the pitch is too wet or something. Sprinklers blasting for ages before the game and at half time, despite rain really not that long ago. Is it just that the pitch is soaked so players are slipping and that's what's causing the injuries? Saw Mauchin slip on it, obviously tizz went down pretty badly, then there's Charlie fox and Lyndon dykes. All a bit weird for the best pitch in the country