The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

2 hours ago, an86 said:

I thought the boy Turley looked poor against us, despite the goal. He obviously scored after me turning to my mate and slaughtering him. Looks a prototype over coached academy player who has decent technical ability but zero knowledge of how to play a game of eleven a side fitba. I know it’ll be pointed out that he’s just signed a four year deal, but we’re talking about a football club who gave Johnny Kenny a five year contract. 

Could get more on board with Dane Murray. He’s 21 years old and unlikely to make it at Celtic, so any loan could end up a full-time move if he’s decent and we’re in desperate need of defenders. I’m willing to cut slack on the defensive options because of injuries, but even without that our bench is so weak. Truly inept transfer business and making it up as we go along as usual. 

The other option I thought of for the attacking mid position is the lad Molotnikov from Hibs. He caused QP all sorts of trouble in the cup game. He’s likely to be someone Hibs will want to go out and get games so would love it to be at QP.

Since Beşiktaş signed sports scientist Anton McElhone from Queen's Park and forged the first link between my two clubs, tonight I invoke my right to post the first of many Beşiktaş appreciation posts this season and share this masterpiece with you. Enjoy! 

Screenshot_2024-08-03-21-19-13-518-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Since Beşiktaş signed sports scientist Anton McElhone from Queen's Park and forged the first link between my two clubs, tonight I invoke my right to post the first of many Beşiktaş appreciation posts this season and share this masterpiece with you. Enjoy! 

Screenshot_2024-08-03-21-19-13-518-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

1 degree of separation between Rudden and Immobile
Madness

Also, there seems to be a bit of discourse the now about the backing of the club, thought I'd chime in
I appreciate I'm probably not the most eh... experienced... here, but I've been going my whole conscious life, and long enough to see the very stark differences in the club from when I was younger.
Clearly on the park we have nothing really to complain about. We have a mid-level championship squad with a bottom-end L1 fanbase, there's no getting around that. It's been growing for sure, but not enough to sustain what we're seeing. I personally don't think we've had many completely awful signings in the past couple of years (going back to Johnny Kenny probably), and the window isn't over yet. I think that with regards to this there is too much negativity, both on here and at the games. I think it was the Kelty game where the second half kicked off at 3-0 and I heard "how about you sign some players" shouted. I'm tempted to ask how many more goals up we ought to be.
Off-the-park, more needs done. I'm big into German football, and it's always crazy seeing the voice the supporters have in their clubs, and because of that the sheer passion on show from them at games. QP need more input from supporters, especially with regards to the stadium situation and communication on club hierarchies. As it stands a lot of us are complaining about the results of processes which we know little to nothing of, which isn't the right situation for us or the club. Probably we would be a lot more understanding were we kept in the loop about why things are the way they are. Hopefully the SLOs help with this

TL/DR: Too much negativity in a lot of aspects from oldyins who should know fine well we're doing alright
Not enough action from club regarding important off-the-park matters

43 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Well, they do play in black and white.

23 hours ago, spiderman1867 said:

I'm really disillusioned with our fanbase at present. Some of the comments on here and the shouts from the "young" team up the back last night beggars belief. "Sign players" , "booooo", unbelievably this one I heard too "  haughey out". Really!! Do you think if haughey left we'd be able to pay a player like dom thomas's wages?Apparently he's one of highest paid players in the league. We need a reality check.We have a fanbase of roughly 800 I'd say. We're punching above our weight even being in this league and yet some people have been calling for the managers head.Its similar to a club like Bournemouth fans in the epl now thinking they have a devine right to be in the top league when in reality they are probably 2 leagues above where they should be.Lets just calm down and enjoy where we are,if we finish 8th in this league every year with the current fanbase we have I'd be delighted .I've been supporting this club over 40 years and this is the most exciting times I've ever had.Lets just get behind the team and cut out the nonsense negative shouts please.

FWIW. Having watched QP in the 80’s when you could hear a fag packet hit the floor amongst the 1-200 spectators, I’m all for the atmosphere the current fanbase bring….all of which is pretty much solely down to the guys at the back.  The players as a unit wont always be beyond criticism but Morton away last year aside, I think they generally get very well supported and the link between the fans and the playing staff seems strong.  

I get that without Haughey we might not be playing Championship football but the counter arguement to that would be that under his stewardship we have wasted the funds from the one true asset we had and have currently very little to show for it.  I’d add also that if often appears that in light of full, thorough and transparent communication and explanations, decisions being made by the hierarchy are done so not generally for the benefit of the club, moreso for political positioning within the SFA of for the benefit of friends and family.  For that reason I feel that any critique of the encumbants is justified. 

5 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Is the Thomas goal the best big biff since the days of Davie Galt?

It’s up there. Thought it was going about a yard wide when he hit it. Kurtis Roberts had a couple of absolute missiles, but those are the only ones springing immediately to mind. 

Don't blame people for forgetting he existed, but Ronan Darcy scored an absolute screamer on the tattie field at Firhill in League One too. Probably not quite as good as Thomas or Galt's goals though!

29 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Is the Thomas goal the best big biff since the days of Davie Galt?

It's certainly up there. Charlie Fox's volley in the famous last game of the season against Dundee was quite a swing though.  Like on Saturday we conceded again  a few minutes later 😅

Edited by Stuntiethumper

3 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Kurtis Roberts two in the same game get my vote. His first time volley was possibly the best goal I have ever seen and I have been around for some time.

Still get a warm feeling when I think of the 7-1

Weirdly, I think we've had a 6-goal victory every season since then apart from the cut-short-by-covid season and our league 2 campaign where we almost went unbeaten. Funny old game

18 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Kurtis Roberts two in the same game get my vote. His first time volley was possibly the best goal I have ever seen and I have been around for some time.

It was a beauty. As was Bob McHugh's strike at Firhill against Cove.

14 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

It was a beauty. As was Bob McHugh's strike at Firhill against Cove.

Good shout, the McHugh one. Totally forgot about that.