The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

23 hours ago, QP MAD said:

Does anyone know yet if there is going to be another supporters bus for the Aberdeen game ? 

Yes. It was arranged today after a reasonable response over the weekend and you should be able to book your seat later today. 

4 hours ago, Dti said:

Back page of Herald

IMG_0847.png

Thanks for posting this.  I am a confessed huge fan of AVFTT and have always felt like Craig gets a poor/unfair and unwarranted press - genuinely enjoy the content he and the rest of the team produce.  He's been the only journalist that I can think of within the MSM, (outside of podcasts), to suggest perhaps not all is well at QPFC.

We, (us/QP) give and get a fair amount of flak on PnB over how the club is run etc etc, so it's refreshing(?) to read an article written to highlight the club's mis-steps in a manner sympathetic to the support.  Won't go over in too much detail the controversial subject of our ex-CEO her record & departure, but he does imply that perhaps Ms Dempster could have been subject to a little more scrutiny over her role in this along with the stadium debacle.  

Have referenced in previous posts, but he also questions the club's identity crisis at the moment post Marjin Beuker, (something that the Spider's Talk gents mentioned in their last podcast with the B team signing of  Canadian Josiah Sowa).  I was, rightly or wrongly a signed-up apologist for the Beuker plan, albeit I think the letting go of the balancing view of Owen Coyle and appointment of his mate and apologist Robin Veldman was probably the biggest error of that period.  Given the 10-year plan of a dutch-style, Scottish youth development programme to fund the clubs future existence seems to have been shelved and given Haughey's plan to walk away after 10 years, where do we see ourselves?  Davidson, as far as I'm aware isn't noted for significant youth development and certainly that side of things seems to have been diluted recently in order to make way for more experienced players to keep us in the Championship - a league that our stadium is not fit for and that won't allow the growth in support needed to fund the club's existence beyond L1, if not L2.  The mass exodus of back room staff during the summer has also gone without much comment.  

The club has done an extraordinary job in growing the support from three to four figures over the last few years but that rate of growth will need to increase substantially I'd have thought in order to maintain the financial muscle needed to remain anywhere near the Championship & with the best will in the world, I cannot see the Royal Box bringing in sufficient sponsorship to make up that shortfall.  If that is indeed the case, exactly how many player sales each summer will we require to maintain the hierarchy's ambitions?  I do share his fears that without some sort of clear statement from those in charge as to what the direction of travel is and how we go about funding and achieving this, that we are sleep-walking into a rather uncertain future.

Edited by Spider1975

20 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

I agree with this. It may seem bizarre to find any positives in such a comprehensive defeat but our battle this season is not with Hearts or any of the other full time clubs.

Unfortunately, our next opponents are Rangers ( the Hunnies, surely?)

Hunettes, surely? Hunnies almost sounds likeable

4 hours ago, Dti said:

Back page of Herald

IMG_0847.png

Made a point of buying the Herald to read this. Two mistakes in an otherwise good article. First he says that we are no longer Professional and then that we are the Tenth oldest club in the world. We are at least the third oldest and in my opinion actually the second oldest before Notts County who claim to be the second oldest.

1 hour ago, Spider1975 said:

Thanks for posting this.  I am a confessed huge fan of AVFTT and have always felt like Craig gets a poor/unfair and unwarranted press - genuinely enjoy the content he and the rest of the team produce.  He's been the only journalist that I can think of within the MSM, (outside of podcasts), to suggest perhaps not all is well at QPFC.

We, (us/QP) give and get a fair amount of flak on PnB over how the club is run etc etc, so it's refreshing(?) to read an article written to highlight the club's mis-steps in a manner sympathetic to the support.  Won't go over in too much detail the controversial subject of our ex-CEO her record & departure, but he does imply that perhaps Ms Dempster could have been subject to a little more scrutiny over her role in this along with the stadium debacle.  

Have referenced in previous posts, but he also questions the club's identity crisis at the moment post Marjin Beuker, (something that the Spider's Talk gents mentioned in their last podcast with the B team signing of  Canadian Josiah Sowa).  I was, rightly or wrongly a signed-up apologist for the Beuker plan, albeit I think the letting go of the balancing view of Owen Coyle and appointment of his mate and apologist Robin Veldman was probably the biggest error of that period.  Given the 10-year plan of a dutch-style, Scottish youth development programme to fund the clubs future existence seems to have been shelved and given Haughey's plan to walk away after 10 years, where do we see ourselves?  Davidson, as far as I'm aware isn't noted for significant youth development and certainly that side of things seems to have been diluted recently in order to make way for more experienced players to keep us in the Championship - a league that our stadium is not fit for and that won't allow the growth in support needed to fund the club's existence beyond L1, if not L2.  The mass exodus of back room staff during the summer has also gone without much comment.  

The club has done an extraordinary job in growing the support from three to four figures over the last few years but that rate of growth will need to increase substantially I'd have thought in order to maintain the financial muscle needed to remain anywhere near the Championship & with the best will in the world, I cannot see the Royal Box bringing in sufficient sponsorship to make up that shortfall.  If that is indeed the case, exactly how many player sales each summer will we require to maintain the hierarchy's ambitions?  I do share his fears that without some sort of clear statement from those in charge as to what the direction of travel is and how we go about funding and achieving this, that we are sleep-walking into a rather uncertain future.

I think there was nothing wrong with the Beuker plan, so long as it has a competent manager to keep it going. The issue really was Veldman being put straight in as first team manager of a relatively poor squad. I think under Coyle that team would have finished higher, although there's no getting around the fact that Veldman was landed in the shite a bit with the players he got. I hope there is still a progressive mindset from the committee/whoever the f**k runs the club, and I hope that the youth system really does work out in the long-term, but as you say we need the finance to keep it up, which involves growing the fanbase instead of growing the sponsorships

On 11/08/2024 at 10:24, Arachnophile said:

it looks as though this will be the women's home kit this season, featuring a (slightly) different sponsor (the City Charitable Trust)

image.png.75821cace4a269e038e42103df7836c8.png

They wore the black and white kit (with yhe new sponsor) yesterday at home.

Hopefully black and white will continue to be the home kit (even though the current design is terrible)

Just a guess, but is it possible that the new home kits weren't ready in time for the squad photos being taken?

Just now, Ben Reilly said:

They wore the black and white kit (with yhe new sponsor) yesterday at home.

Hopefully black and white will continue to be the home kit (even though the current design is terrible)

Just a guess, but is it possible that the new home kits weren't ready in time for the squad photos being taken?

I was wondering why Hearts were wearing their change kit as I'd have thought black & white vs Maroon would have been more contrasting than Black & white vs whatever colour you call that kit (creamy yellow??)

Speaking of kits, in the absence of a particularly decent home or away option currently, are there any sites doing good retro QP kits?

Toffs are even managing to offer a Third Lanark(!) shirt, but not a QP one. Score Draw only seem to do a couple of Scottish teams

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Byekick said:

Speaking of kits, in the absence of a particularly decent home or away option currently, are there any sites doing good retro QP kits?

Toffs are even managing to offer a Third Lanark(!) shirt, but not a QP one. Score Draw only seem to do a couple of Scottish teams

There have been a couple of websites that have popped up doing them over the years, but cannot vouch for their quality or reliability.

Maybe something we could raise via the new SLOs when they are appointed. Applications closed 12 days ago, and I know the club requested dissertations from those interested, but I'm surprised they haven't been chosen yet (and no pending announcement teased in the week ahead post from earlier today).

Edited by Dave

1 hour ago, Byekick said:

A few years back I got Toffs to custom make me a couple of retro QP away shirts, the late 70's/early80's Bukta red with black bib but in long sleeve with the red/black hoops and also the early 80's white with the red/black stripe going down the sleeves and also got a couple of away shirts, the mid 80's Bukta white with black pinstripes and the late 80's Umbro red with the black/white shoulders from a website cant unfortunately remember the name off and were all good quality shirts. In fact it might have been Dunnotar the name of the company

qp8081a_orig.png

qp8183a_orig.png

qp8388a_orig.png

qp8891a_orig.png

Edited by hampdenspider

1 hour ago, Byekick said:

There are a few Queen's tops on the classic football shirts website (www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk), but they're not the cheapest 

9 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

Nor like us to sign an ex ICT player

Seemed like he played out wide a bit for Inverness so hopefully he’s been brought in as a wide option as opposed to a Paton replacement

I did think we were a winger and striker away from completion so hopefully another striker comes in before the end of the window 

23 minutes ago, Byekick said:

Deep in this Nutmeg / The Guardian piece with out of work managers... Kevin Thomson was on the shortlist for the QP job last time out.

Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 09.19.35.png

We roundly criticise them however I'm rather impressed that the QP Committee were so concerned about the amount of goals we were shipping at the time that they interviewed an ex-Secretary of State for Defence for the job.

54 minutes ago, Byekick said:

Deep in this Nutmeg / The Guardian piece with out of work managers... Kevin Thomson was on the shortlist for the QP job last time out.

Screenshot 2024-08-13 at 09.19.35.png

Never understood why this guy keeps getting linked with pretty much every Championship job going. Winning the League Two title with that Kelty team he had barely even constitutes as an achievement; very glad we went for Davidson instead.

41 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Never understood why this guy keeps getting linked with pretty much every Championship job going. Winning the League Two title with that Kelty team he had barely even constitutes as an achievement; very glad we went for Davidson instead.

Aye the issue with winning league 2 is that if you're given a small cash injection it becomes such a breezy time
I still think Ray McKinnon's a shite manager, but you couldn't NOT win L2 with the team we had. The fact we didn't go undefeated says a lot about how good he is imo.
Obviously Clyde are going through the same thing of getting in the big money signings, and if they win L2 it won't say anything about Ian McCall, he's still a clown