The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

24 minutes ago, CathkinParkLoyal said:

Yes he is, and although I know many people here don't agree with me, there's growing evidence to suggest that's the clubs hope as well.

What evidence do you have for that statement? WH also not trying to buy Holyrood Sports Centre, QP are trying to get he lease of it for our community football.

4 minutes ago, pmonigatti said:

Open question to the room but would many people object to a proposal of QP moving to Cathkin if the plans for it were suitable for the premiership/championship sized ambitions that the club seem to have?

I'd imagine how I feel about it is pretty clear.

That being said though, if Lesser doesn't work for whatever reason, and we're determined to take public land I'd far more interested in seeing the feasibility of building something at the recreations ground between Cathkin and QP. 

They already host private events there during the summer, so the private access to public lands has already begun. It doesn't have anywhere near the same history or aesthetic appeal as Cathkin does, although I'm willing to hear why I'm wrong.

It's already flat which could make wider construction easier, and has enough space you wouldn't even necessarily take all of it and could leave the tree line and wider nature corridor in tack. It's sandwiched between Shawlands and Mount Florida good for pubs and lots of access to local transport. Also just think it would be a nice place to walk to a game placed between two parks.

9 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

What evidence do you have for that statement? WH also not trying to buy Holyrood Sports Centre, QP are trying to get he lease of it for our community football.

Who's bankrolling Queen's? And what statement in particular the Holyrood one?

10 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

If you just mean the wider Queen's moving to Cathkin theory I made a large post about it before. I'm friends with the guy talking GCC to court over the fence 

2 minutes ago, CathkinParkLoyal said:

Who's bankrolling Queen's? And what statement in particular the Holyrood one?

We all know who is bankrolling QP but he is not trying to buy Holyrood, I have been assured, by 2 of the QP committee, that QP are looking to lease it for their community football. I would have no problem with turning Cathkin into a nice stadium for QP to play in, but that is not going to happen.

1 minute ago, Dooflick said:

We all know who is bankrolling QP but he is not trying to buy Holyrood, I have been assured, by 2 of the QP committee, that QP are looking to lease it for their community football. I would have no problem with turning Cathkin into a nice stadium for QP to play in, but that is not going to happen.

I hope I don't come across like I'm being horrible or difficult mate I'm genuinely not trying to be.

Just wanted to clarify though that the lease JJA has for Cathkin includes an option that if it's ever to be sold it can only ever be to them. Also it's good optics if when removing a public assest with potential for further development it's under the guise of "It's for the kids though". I just cant help but notice the parallels.

For what it's worth I'm obviously not against kids playing football, and I hope it all works out as it should.

Whatever is going on behind the scenes it is plain for all to see that QPFC have no interest in further developing Lesser and that it never had the potential to be a stadium for a club with our ambitions. That together with Haughey's scheming suggests to me that our future does not lie within the Hampden Campus.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

A bit of an unknown for us - doesn't seem to have actually played for the first team (but has been on the bench). He does appear to have been key player for the Millwall U21 team that performed well in 22/23.

https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2023/june/26/seb-drozd-signs-new-millwall-contract/

By and large, our business in taking guys from English U21 teams seems to have been decent in recent seasons. 

Turner’s a very good player in our side,  Tizzard’s a good no-nonsense CB and Fieldson has started well also. Hopefully Drozd succeeds here too. 

11 minutes ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

By and large, our business in taking guys from English U21 teams seems to have been decent in recent seasons. 

Turner’s a very good player in our side,  Tizzard’s a good no-nonsense CB and Fieldson has started well also. Hopefully Drozd succeeds here too. 

I must say that Tizzard is starting to convert me. 

He's limited but truthfully he's pretty consistently steady. 

Still wouldn't be my first choice but doesn't give me the fear whenever I see his name on the team sheet. 

2 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Absolutely, the scouting team seem to be doing a pretty good job down south - long may it continue!

8 hours ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

I'd thin k that the time to change the goal posts and reline the pitch could easily be done between Saturday 1700 and Sunday morning. I hope we can stick to the Saturday!

https://glasgowwarriors.org/hampden-park-to-host-1872-cup-opener/?utm_source=Maileon&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HAMPDEN+1872+CUP+MARKETING&utm_content=https%3A%2F%2Fglasgowwarriors.org%2Fhampden-park-to-host-1872-cup-opener%2F

Warriors chaps need to get the history right...the first game at Hampden between the two cities was 1885. More than one Hampden old fruit!

For those who didn't make the game, the score was recorded as follows in the The Queen's Park FC History...

"The first Rugby match played on Hampden Park was an Inter-City game between Glasgow and Edinburgh, December, 1885, when the western city were the victors by a goal and a try to a try." Feel free to speculate what that means 🤷‍♂️

Worth noting that our pre-Xmas fixture these last two years has been on the Friday night.

8 hours ago, CathkinParkLoyal said:

Yep they're bankrolling them. They've made available funds to turn Cathkin into a cat A pitch. The funding also include floodlights and improvements to the wider facilities. It was mentioned as well they're had been plans drawn up judging the feasibility of a single stand alongside the pitch where the chairs currently are. Funding had also been secured via the Cryuff foundation to turn the pitch up beside the old nursery into a fives pitch. Breaking with tradition though, they plan to charge for access where from what I understand Cryutf pitches are typically free to use.

I'm not sure if it's completed yet, but also heard Haughey has been also trying to purchase the Holyrood sports complex. When you put it all together it starts to make sense, especially with us holding the Euros. Games at Hampden, lots of decent training bases nearby, Queen's could do quite well out of it.

Not quite but getting close...it's Queen's Park Foundation that's at the front of it. 

Foundation reports Progress on Holyrood Sports Centre | Queen's Park Football Club (queensparkfc.co.uk)

7 hours ago, CathkinParkLoyal said:

If you just mean the wider Queen's moving to Cathkin theory I made a large post about it before. I'm friends with the guy talking GCC to court over the fence 

I'm sure your "guy" knows what he's doing but the Haughey empire have a long history of getting Glasgow Council to do what they want them to. It's not within their scope to fight over a fence. If they are being persistent it's because they have something bigger in mind. You're on the right track with the multi-site perspective. And it's not just about football venues either.

Our arrangement with the Scottish FA includes an understanding that both sides will be flexible when there is a requirement to do so concerning the fixture calendar. This amendment is evidence of one of these occasions and we look forward to welcoming our fans and those of Raith Rovers to Hampden Park on Friday 20 December.”

Was this flexibility communicated to supporters when they purchased season tickets? 

43 minutes ago, Kirkcaldybanjo said:

Rovers should never said yes to this.

Might be some TV money compensation.....? 

BTW I've absolutely no inside track on this, but at least we've all not been punted to Lesser, which was worst case (but entirely possible considering the clusterf*ck QP committee) scenario. 

For what it's worth I do sympathise, and I'm sure a lot of QP fans do. 

Any chance that the talents of our podcast team could get El Presidente or some other member of the reclusive committee on to SpidersTalk for a chat? (Don't send the briefing notes in advance though, or the BBC will pull the broadcast).