The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

In field matters, I'm definitely warming to Josh McPake. He got whacked twice on Saturday and just got on with it rather than fling himself to the deck. Another goal too.

Decent enough crowd against Montrose and hopefully we're at the big park for the Thistle game. Looks like lots still to be done at Lesser and we have to have two "test events" prior to a competitive fixture, I think.

10 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

In field matters, I'm definitely warming to Josh McPake. He got whacked twice on Saturday and just got on with it rather than fling himself to the deck. Another goal too.

Decent enough crowd against Montrose and hopefully we're at the big park for the Thistle game. Looks like lots still to be done at Lesser and we have to have two "test events" prior to a competitive fixture, I think.

Yes absolutely. I wasn't convinced initially but has surely earned his starting place. I'm not sure of his contract, but would be happy to secure him.

22 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Yes absolutely. I wasn't convinced initially but has surely earned his starting place. I'm not sure of his contract, but would be happy to secure him.

His contract at Rangers still has another year on it after this season. I think he's definitely improved too, and I'd have him back (in this league anyway) but I suppose it'd have to be on loan again.

Another win for the Spiders and we're turning on the style towards the New Year. I thought Montrose were terrific in spells and really unlucky not to score. Rory McAllister looked absolutely knackered and quite heavy to be honest. 

Few outstanding saves by Ferrie, who probably deserved his MOTM. Dom Thomas was the standout outfield player imo, very creative and direct. 

Great run and finish by McPake, he must have been burst that late in the game and running that distance, happy days. It felt like a late winner although we were in the lead the way it secured the victory after some very nervy moments. What a great opportunity to reach a cup final and grow the QP dream. I'd like to thump Clyde in the Quarters. 

QP are piling on the agony and putting on the style :) 

Is there a spare QP jacket for Owen Coyle? he's wore the same layers since August.   

18 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

With reasonably priced tickets yesterday we comfortably had a bigger attendance for a challenge cup game vs Montrose than would be available in the East Stand at Lesser Hampden. One small stand for potentially massively important games against teams with big supports of their own is just not feasible (for logistical and possibly even safety reasons)

Should make for an interesting discussion point at the AGM if we ever get round to having one. 11th of December and still no notice of when the meeting will take place .

The President’s got himself a new office out at Lochinch…

image.gif.334df33730ba9d2e3119baaf35fa0174.gif

6 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Yeah I’ve been pleased with McPake’s contribution the last 6-7 games, getting a healthy number of goals and assists. He seems so much more comfortable on the left wing compared to the right side where he looked incredibly lost and pretty ineffective. If he produces this type of form over the next couple months then I’d be inclined to try and strike a permanent deal. 

Im sure it wouldn’t be too hard to have some sort of mutual agreement with rangers to cancel the last year of his contract in order to sign for us permanently. It’s pretty evident that he’ll never break into the Rangers first team. I’m sure Jack Thomson had 6 months left in his deal at rangers and we snapped him up permanently last January 

Edited by qpfc

36 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I've seen a few rumours on Twitter today that Northampton Town are keen on McPake, although I think going to a League Two club down south would be a sideways move at best. 

Aye would be disappointed to lose him in those circumstances. There is a recall option for him in January so I guess it depends on how McPake is enjoying things here. Personally I feel it would be daft for him to leave at this stage. He’s had numerous loan spells in his career and it seems like he’s having his best form at QP and most likely there’s a pathway for him to play for us permanently. He’s not irreplaceable by any means but I’d rather not lose a winger mid season who’s now beginning to show his potential

I see the bores who think we’re a history project from the 1880s, rather than a living, breathing football club in 2022 are back.

Yet to hear what the significance of this building was within a football heritage context. Lesser Hampden wasn’t a football stadium until the 1920s, so the “football heritage” claims are historically illiterate. 

Really sorry (I’m not) that these people are sad about the quaint old building not being there when they’re walking into Hampden now. We should really be taking into consideration that we’re inconveniencing someone’s heritage project, rather than building our future.

The self-appointed voices of our and Scottish football’s “heritage” were nowhere to be seen when things were looking dicey for us a couple of years ago. They’d have been the first ones crying in front of a camera if the worst had happened as well.

24 minutes ago, an86 said:

I see the bores who think we’re a history project from the 1880s, rather than a living, breathing football club in 2022 are back.

Yet to hear what the significance of this building was within a football heritage context. Lesser Hampden wasn’t a football stadium until the 1920s, so the “football heritage” claims are historically illiterate. 

Really sorry (I’m not) that these people are sad about the quaint old building not being there when they’re walking into Hampden now. We should really be taking into consideration that we’re inconveniencing someone’s heritage project, rather than building our future.

The self-appointed voices of our and Scottish football’s “heritage” were nowhere to be seen when things were looking dicey for us a couple of years ago. They’d have been the first ones crying in front of a camera if the worst had happened as well.

I agree with all of that! As a club you have a right to progress, and space within Lesser Hampden is limited...however, and I do think this is a valid criticism, hasn't it essentially been demolished to make way for the 'Royal Box'?  😆

Didn't the club used to punt the line about it being the oldest building in current use by a football club, or some such bollocks? As you say, an86, Lesser wasn't built until the 1920s and the old farmhouse underwent various changes over the years so that all that remained was the outer shell (and even that had been altered) and part of the adjoining byre.

I guess Queen's should have set up a heritage farm centre complete with a flock of sheep instead of trying to build a fit for purpose stadium. Mind you, t'Committee have managed to make a complete mess of that side of the stadium anyway what with the Royal Box and demolishing a partly built new stand.

9 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

I agree with all of that! As a club you have a right to progress, and space within Lesser Hampden is limited...however, and I do think this is a valid criticism, hasn't it essentially been demolished to make way for the 'Royal Box'?  😆

Think both issues can be separated. It was a building with no historical footballing significance and we had no space or purpose for it. It had to go.

Should we have replaced it with a minimal capacity pad for the suits? In my opinion, no we shouldn’t. The latter will still be more useful to the club than a quaint and ultimately useless building, though.

Seems he’s punting a book. That would explain the sudden raking up of this nonsense. These chancers will talk up our heritage and history, but have zero interest when it comes to what the people who meaningfully contribute to our club actually think.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Seems he’s punting a book. That would explain the sudden raking up of this nonsense. These chancers will talk up our heritage and history, but have zero interest when it comes to what the people who meaningfully contribute to our club actually think.

Ged O'Brien is a well-respected football historian who never fails to emphasise the importance of Queen's Park in the development of the game of football as we know it today. You may not agree with his views on the Farmhouse but it is people like Ged who bring the history of our club to an international audience. 

3 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

Didn't the club used to punt the line about it being the oldest building in current use by a football club, or some such bollocks? As you say, an86, Lesser wasn't built until the 1920s and the old farmhouse underwent various changes over the years so that all that remained was the outer shell (and even that had been altered) and part of the adjoining byre.

I guess Queen's should have set up a heritage farm centre complete with a flock of sheep instead of trying to build a fit for purpose stadium. Mind you, t'Committee have managed to make a complete mess of that side of the stadium anyway what with the Royal Box and demolishing a partly built new stand.

Lesser Hampden was originally sited just to the south-east of the main stand when it was built in 1903. Later moved to it’s current site in 1923. The only claim to the farmhouse and it’s byre being the “oldest football building in the world” seems to have come from the club, no doubt in our more spartan years when our claim to fame was all about being old and inventing everything. Bigger fish to fry now.

The story goes that the farmhouse was converted to a Pavillion as the club didn’t have enough money to build a new one. There but for the grace of god… More than a shade ironic that it’ll finally get it’s final coat of paint 100 years after the sheep were moved out. Hope the CEO is reading…there’s a third strip waiting to tell this story. Cha-ching!

image.thumb.jpeg.af53fb6d2124349bc87f628abdcd02a6.jpeg