The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

15 hours ago, G_&_T said:

The problem is the club designed a stadium fit for the bottom two tiers, but when fully professional which surely implies aspirations of the top two tiers. Could it be the club didn't envisage such on-the-field success so quickly?

But that's the thing, as @Burnieman alluded to in his previous post, the stadium is too small for League Two, at least not without further development, so that can't be used as an excuse.

I always liked Dumbarton and East Fife's grounds. Yes, they're basic, but the capacities are big enough for that size of  club, and you get a good view of the pitch from wherever you're sitting/standing.

Seen a fair bit on Twitter suggesting Kenny is off to shamrock rovers. Think it’s best for all parties to cut the loan as unfortunately it’s been a bit of a disaster. He was always going to have a tough time competing for a place with Murray but even when he’s had the chance, he’s not shown anything to suggest he’s capable of playing at this level. Imperative to bring another striker in January to really keep Murray on his toes or even play up top with him. 

Edited by qpfc

23 hours ago, G_&_T said:

The problem is the club designed a stadium fit for the bottom two tiers, but when fully professional which surely implies aspirations of the top two tiers. Could it be the club didn't envisage such on-the-field success so quickly?

You have summed up in two sentences, where our committee have failed the club.

The club (ie committee) only saw as far ahead as:-

1:- Getting us away from the dreaded trapdoor of League 2. 

2:- Turning professional and thereby allowing the club to benefit financially from the sale of players who have come through the club's youth system and have therefore benefitted from the club's training skills and support.

That same committee have failed drastically to envisage the potential for support, on the southside of Glasgow, for a non-sectarian, family based local community involvement at grassroots level.

This has been exposed, by firstly, the successful recruitment of a first rate experienced football coach, who is steeped in the club's history, despite never having played for the club (but did live for decades with Hampden No2 as his back garden). And who has propelled (no other word for it) the club to unforseen heights in the Premiership so far: and this committees subsequent failure to plan ahead for an alternative home ground to match onfield success.

Secondly, they have been exposed by the successful recruitment of a team who have not only raised local awareness in the community but have managed to procure inward investment via sponsorship and matchday hospitality.

Yet despite these two successes the committee are mired in a disgraceful catalogue of failure :-

1 :- To communicate on even the most basic level with the supporters of the club, and therefore the media at large, with updates on what is happening.

2:- To explain what the structure of the club now is, since becoming a full-time professional club.

3:- Do we have a full time CEO, and if so, what are the responsibilties of said position, and why does said CEO have literally no contact with the people who support the club.

4:- Why did the committee agree to the change to the original plans for a circa 4000 capacity stadium, to the latest plan to accommodate 900+ home fans in a single stand with a glorified "Royal Box"  accommodating only 40 or Committee members and their friends and in so doing incur a £800,000 legal fee in deviating from said plan.

I could go on......but presumably many more Club Members who participate on this forum will have many such questions to put before our esteemed committee, at the forthcoming AGM,  on what will inevitably be the last chance before the exalted few take their seats in their much ridiculed "Royal Box

Imagine this scenario........... if our first team coach is as successful as he was last season, and gets us into the last playoff place, then gets us promoted .

Yahoo will be my first reaction !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like me..................... given that my first game supporting Queens was over 70 years ago,   how much of a laughing stock will our club then be, if w ere to appear in the Premier League with a stadium with a capacity of less than 1000. 

And who will then explain to Lord Haughey where his investment has been squandered?

Will it be our Chairman ??????   Will it be our missing in action CEO ??????

Mibbes aye mibbes naw

22 minutes ago, QP's in my DNA said:

You have summed up in two sentences, where our committee have failed the club.

The club (ie committee) only saw as far ahead as:-

1:- Getting us away from the dreaded trapdoor of League 2. 

2:- Turning professional and thereby allowing the club to benefit financially from the sale of players who have come through the club's youth system and have therefore benefitted from the club's training skills and support.

That same committee have failed drastically to envisage the potential for support, on the southside of Glasgow, for a non-sectarian, family based local community involvement at grassroots level.

This has been exposed, by firstly, the successful recruitment of a first rate experienced football coach, who is steeped in the club's history, despite never having played for the club (but did live for decades with Hampden No2 as his back garden). And who has propelled (no other word for it) the club to unforseen heights in the Premiership so far: and this committees subsequent failure to plan ahead for an alternative home ground to match onfield success.

Secondly, they have been exposed by the successful recruitment of a team who have not only raised local awareness in the community but have managed to procure inward investment via sponsorship and matchday hospitality.

Yet despite these two successes the committee are mired in a disgraceful catalogue of failure :-

1 :- To communicate on even the most basic level with the supporters of the club, and therefore the media at large, with updates on what is happening.

2:- To explain what the structure of the club now is, since becoming a full-time professional club.

3:- Do we have a full time CEO, and if so, what are the responsibilties of said position, and why does said CEO have literally no contact with the people who support the club.

4:- Why did the committee agree to the change to the original plans for a circa 4000 capacity stadium, to the latest plan to accommodate 900+ home fans in a single stand with a glorified "Royal Box"  accommodating only 40 or Committee members and their friends and in so doing incur a £800,000 legal fee in deviating from said plan.

I could go on......but presumably many more Club Members who participate on this forum will have many such questions to put before our esteemed committee, at the forthcoming AGM,  on what will inevitably be the last chance before the exalted few take their seats in their much ridiculed "Royal Box

Imagine this scenario........... if our first team coach is as successful as he was last season, and gets us into the last playoff place, then gets us promoted .

Yahoo will be my first reaction !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like me..................... given that my first game supporting Queens was over 70 years ago,   how much of a laughing stock will our club then be, if w ere to appear in the Premier League with a stadium with a capacity of less than 1000. 

And who will then explain to Lord Haughey where his investment has been squandered?

Will it be our Chairman ??????   Will it be our missing in action CEO ??????

Mibbes aye mibbes naw

Just in time for Post of the Year award. Well said sir! 👏

On 20/12/2022 at 11:05, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Took this at Starks a few weeks ago. Have a guess why the concrete in the lower half is darker than the upper half? 
image.thumb.jpeg.d84bb58236162d145829147b2a11133a.jpeg

Pulled some older/other shots of the railway stand, and the concrete is all uniform colour. Given the look is of wet/moist concrete, and knowing the pitch is heavily watered before each half, I suspect moisture from that. Would also explain the heavier/wetter portions and the irregularity toward the top of the darker section.

Edited by TxRover

On 21/12/2022 at 20:40, G_&_T said:

Would that not mean demolishing the current dressing rooms? Also isn't there now a water tank on the west side? I like the idea, but don't think it's likely, from what I've seen and heard.

Yeah that was what I was going for. I saw some photos of the changing rooms going up and they are just timber kit and lightweight cladding. You could probably run a bulldozer through them in an afternoon. Pretty sure they've only got a temporary permission anyway (5 years) 

1420079223_Screenshot2022-12-23at10_17_18.thumb.png.c6a67f8ffecf47b2faa18d30f3d73777.png

From looking at the plans of the pavilion it looks like there would be plenty of space to reconfigure/ extend the basement for changing rooms with the new stand being pulled about 50% towards the pitch from where the old terracing was.

The water tank might be more tricky though. You can't really build over the top of them as they need maintenance access from above and would be a bit of a ball-ache/ expensive to move. I live nearby but haven't been down in a while, I assume it is fairly substantial? Unfortunately M&E consultants never think about where they put their plant so just plonk stuff down anywhere to give the shortest pipe runs, unless you've got someone checking their proposals things always end up in stupid places. 

I don't know what it is with Scottish football but be it Aberdeen or Queens Park there seems to be some sort of inferior complex - a huge level of short-sightedness, fear and lack of ambition when it comes to building stadiums. It seems to be a problem that grips Scottish football. Both clubs seem hell bent on building a stadium which is clearly going to be inadequate for their needs. Queens Park have the potential to tap into a large pool of supporters. Did you not have over 3k inside Hampden recently? That says it all really. Queens Park becoming an established Championship side or even reaching the Premiership would be a brilliant thing for football in Southside and across Glasgow as a whole. IMO. As someone else alluded to, there is a market there for a Glasgow club which isn't dripping with bigotry.

I don't know what this "Royal Box" malarky is but it sounds total gash from what I'm reading. Queens Park should be pursuing plans to build a bigger stadium. Should they get promoted it will be an embarrassment them playing in a 1k stadium and fans will end up being be locked out. Not a great way of trying to attract new supporters.

I dip in and out of this thread for a wee read from time to time. For all the great work QP are doing on the pitch it's such a shame that some of the stuff happening behind the scenes appears to be a complete shambles. With the existence of social media it's not difficult to keep supporters in the loop of the clubs activities, you wonder what planet these people are on sometimes.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

I don't know what it is with Scottish football but be it Aberdeen or Queens Park there seems to be some sort of inferior complex - a huge level of short-sightedness, fear and lack of ambition when it comes to building stadiums. It seems to be a problem that grips Scottish football. Both clubs seem hell bent on building a stadium which is clearly going to be inadequate for their needs. Queens Park have the potential to tap into a large pool of supporters. Did you not have over 3k inside Hampden recently? That says it all really. Queens Park becoming an established Championship side or even reaching the Premiership would be a brilliant thing for football in Southside and across Glasgow as a whole. IMO. As someone else alluded to, there is a market there for a Glasgow club which isn't dripping with bigotry.

I don't know what this "Royal Box" malarky is but it sounds total gash from what I'm reading. Queens Park should be pursuing plans to build a bigger stadium. Should they get promoted it will be an embarrassment them playing in a 1k stadium and fans will end up being be locked out. Not a great way of trying to attract new supporters.

I dip in and out of this thread for a wee read from time to time. For all the great work QP are doing on the pitch it's such a shame that some of the stuff happening behind the scenes appears to be a complete shambles. With the existence of social media it's not difficult to keep supporters in the loop of the clubs activities, you wonder what planet these people are on sometimes.

There's also history of building stadiums that are too big, usually with borrowed money. The benefits of bigger/better stadiums might not be enough to repay loans.

I don't doubt QP & Aberdeen will mess up several times more over the years.

The problem with Scottish football is there isn't enough quality in board rooms to make good decisions on anything, including stadium builds.

19 hours ago, QP's in my DNA said:

The most laughable attempt at revisionism in the lower leagues of Scottish football, since Gretna and their Lucozade-swilling jakey owner were punting their eco-stadium on the Solway Firth.

Which worked out swimmingly for everyone involved. 

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

The most laughable attempt at revisionism in the lower leagues of Scottish football, since Gretna and their Lucozade-swilling jakey owner were punting their eco-stadium on the Solway Firth.

Which worked out swimmingly for everyone involved. 

If you had a heart you'd get them the details of the Morton supporter who was contracted to design it.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

On 23/12/2022 at 07:36, jamamafegan said:

On 23/12/2022 at 09:40, Sergeant Wilson said:

There's also history of building stadiums that are too big, usually with borrowed money. The benefits of bigger/better stadiums might not be enough to repay loans.

I don't doubt QP & Aberdeen will mess up several times more over the years.

The problem with Scottish football is there isn't enough quality in board rooms to make good decisions on anything, including stadium builds.

There is a fair bit of institutional memory in fitba about the fiascos of the 80’s-90’s and minimum capacity hijinks. Raith, for one, is saddled with a totally inappropriate lash up of a stadium because of a scramble to get to the 10,000 seat requirement that was in place. As a result, we have a couple of sore thumb 3,300 seat stands on either end of the pitch that now need £500,000+ of deferred maintenance and some such to continue to meet health and safety standards. Top that with knowing the work would be needed, and still retrofitting the rooftop floodlights to LED, thus ensuring you HAVE a to fix those worthless b*****ds, and then having the owner come out saying he wants to sell out!