The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

4 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Doesn't change the fact that Davidson's currently doing no better a job with a stronger squad.

Marginally stronger squad, aye. We were absolutely rubbish under Veldman. Honking. Dreadful. Stinking. There were very, very few occasions when I believed we could get a result. I don’t go into games feeling like that now, despite the recent ropey spell. Don’t think Thomas’ absence was a coincidence in terms of the recent poor run. We have no squad depth. 

Saturday showed me that we’re still up for the fight and that’s going to have to continue to be the case. If it is a playoff, it’s important that we go into it off the back of solid performances. It’s going to be about getting the basics right. If we can do that, we have absolutely nothing to fear from the coming games, however many of them there are. 

Any scenario where Robin Veldman remained in charge this season would have seen us with significantly less points than we have now, regardless of January signings.

He was a disaster and I saw nothing to suggest things would improve. 

7 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Any scenario where Robin Veldman remained in charge this season would have seen us with significantly less points than we have now, regardless of January signings.

He was a disaster and I saw nothing to suggest things would improve. 

Aye. It’s hard to overstate just how bad it was. Opposition fans openly laughing at how we set up. 
d4dfc1c7-0ace-4e32-ab06-8749e7eb2a00.thumb.jpeg.ddaa2096faf652ba32c1f47204f30752.jpeg

Edited by an86

5 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Doesn't change the fact that Davidson's currently doing no better a job with a stronger squad.

Granted the squad is stronger however still no depth but not sure I agree Davidson is doing no better a job.  Veldman only managed 13pts from 14 games (PPG - 0.93) whereas Davidson currently has 20pts from 15 games (PPG - 1.33).  Although still not great Davidson's points per game are over 40% better than Veldman from a similar number of games.  I realise that points per game is compounded by numerous ifs, buts and maybes, however over 36 games this difference would likely have seen us safe already being that it equates to an additional 14pts. 

Beuker had credit in the bank given the promotion to the Championship from L2 and in some of the signings that he was at least part of, (Savoury, Boateng, Thomas, Paton etc), so it was a reasonable assumption that he had done the homework and that we granted a degree of trust in Veldman's ability.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it does seem mad that we took a youth coach from the continent, gave him an eclectic bunch of kids and asked him to make an assault on the Championship..  

You live and learn. 

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Aye. It’s hard to overstate just how bad it was. Opposition fans openly laughing at how we set up. 
d4dfc1c7-0ace-4e32-ab06-8749e7eb2a00.thumb.jpeg.ddaa2096faf652ba32c1f47204f30752.jpeg

Incredible that we are the team supposed to be defending the goal in this photo 

2 hours ago, mcjameos said:

Granted the squad is stronger however still no depth but not sure I agree Davidson is doing no better a job. 

Of course I'm cherry picking, but we've one point and no goals from the last four games. Davidson had a good start, and it's hopefully, probably enough to have saved us from relegation for which I am thankful, and there's no argument that over the course he's bettered Veldman. But one point and no goals from the last four games... And let's not forget that Veldman was the Championship's August manager of the month.

13 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

Don't know if anyone noticed but a certain 17yr old, ex QP 'keeper was sat on the bench for Bournemouth at the weekend!

Seem to remember someone saying that Bournemouth had 5 keepers on their books when he rocked up there.

Already making the bench for the first team, for a 17 year old, that's meteoric progress!

15 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Of course I'm cherry picking, but we've one point and no goals from the last four games. Davidson had a good start, and it's hopefully, probably enough to have saved us from relegation for which I am thankful, and there's no argument that over the course he's bettered Veldman. But one point and no goals from the last four games... And let's not forget that Veldman was the Championship's August manager of the month.

Yep, the last 4 games are a worry. Veldman will definitely be remembered but doubt his manager of the month award will be the reason 😜.

20 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

Laurie Ellis won a manager of the month early on and he too was rubbish.

I seem to remember we drew nearly half of our games that season and couldn't defend a lead.  Don't quite know what it is with QP and defending.  We just don't seem to got it quite right since we turned pro.

They appear to be doing some prep work behind the goal at the Somerville Drive end of Lesser Hampden. If they are starting a stand build, I’d expect it to be completed in time for the 26/27 season based on previous build times of the other stands. 

They appear to be doing some prep work behind the goal at the Somerville Drive end of Lesser Hampden. If they are starting a stand build, I’d expect it to be completed in time for the 26/27 season based on previous build times of the other stands. 

And much smaller than it needs to be!

14 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

Interesting although I thought I saw a post AGM post saying that the plans for stands that were "on file" were for the Letherby Drive end.  

17 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

Feels like this is going to have more to do with Scotland pre-Euros than QP next season? 

1 hour ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Feels like this is going to have more to do with Scotland pre-Euros than QP next season? 

A second Royal Box is the most Queen’s Park outcome. 

“What!?! Why are you all angry?”