League One 22/23 Table Predictions

5 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Awch it's just a laugh. Stop being a wee tadger and jump back onto the Championship pages where the serious people live.

Ok, Brian.

OK, so my current knowledge of most clubs is lacking to say the least, but here's the votes of the South Lanarkshire Doonhamer regardless (and subject to revision when we know what the squads actually look like) ...

1 - Falkirk - I like McGlynn as a manager, and The Bairns have to get their shit together sometime (plus I might get a wee greenie from @Marshmallo for putting them top!) and with the Pars will have the biggest budget (not a guarantee I know)

2 - Dunfermline - No surprise, at this point I've gone for the sides who I think will have the biggest budgets. Not sure about McPake as a manager (the Dees seemed to be split on keen or not keen), but the squad will be strong, time will tell

3 - Kelty Hearts - Think they are being bankrolled by someone, but don't honestly know if their budget will reach those of the Bairns/Pars.  They've got players who've coped at a decent level so with additions would think they will be in with a good shout at the playoffs.

4 - The Mighty Blue Machine (aka QOS) - OK, guilty as charged, so this is the optimist fan in me putting them in 4th!  Gibson is relatively untried as manager (although he has Grant Murray as support) and we don't know if he'll play another season yet (personally I think playing and managing is always a step too far).  As usual we need to see who we recruit - and as others have said, although Queens are FT our budget will be poor for a FT club which will limit recruitment.  A repeat of our last visit to L1 ten years ago when we had the title wrapped up by March winning by 25 points certainly ain't happening again in what is a much stronger league)!

5 - Airdrie - So unlucky last season, seem well run these days, but the new management team (both players) could be seen as a risk (same for QOS I know).  Have lost some key players, but might recruit well.  Could easily make the playoffs in place of QOS or Kelty.

6 - Montrose - Don't know a lot about them other than they've been really sound at this level for a while now and have a solid manager in Petrie who seems able to spot a player and set his team out well.  Can't see them being in relegation trouble and could equally make the playoffs at the expense of QOS/Kelty/Airdrie.

7 - Alloa - I've never known an Alloa side that gave us an easy game.  Fully expect another strong showing and of course Mark Durnan will recover his old form and play (4) blinders against his old club Queens.  Don't see Alloa being in relegation trouble.

8 - Peterhead - Know very little about the club (although worked up there in the early 80's).  Saw them against Dundee in the cup and thought they were excellent, but don't know how many of that team they have been able to retain.  Very experienced manager in McInally, so I'm thinking they will be OK by the end of the season.

9 - Edinburgh City - Watched the playoffs with Annan and liked the look of the lad Innes Murray who was on loan from Hibs (OK he might not be there this season).  They have some experienced players but I've no knowledge of their budget (do they have a rich sugar daddy backer, dunno?).  Something tells me they may struggle in a strong L1 this season.

10 - Clyde - Sorry Bully Wee fans.  I've zip knowledge of your likely squad or budget, but with the recent exit from Broadwood and being nomadic yet again something tells me that times are tough at Clyde, and it could be a struggle to stay up.

New management teams at Falkirk, Dunfermline, Queens and Airdrie (will Thomson stay on at Kelty?) makes forecasting doubly difficult.

And ... aye, its just a wee bit of fun this early when we're all bored stupid in the close season ... so pile in folks!

Edited by Otis Blue

8 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

... New management teams at Falkirk, Dunfermline, Queens and Airdrie (will Thomson stay on at Kelty?) makes forecasting doubly difficult.

^^^ Oooops, apologies for tempting fate Kelty!

14 minutes ago, laughing gravie said:

Falkirk to win the league? 🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

Need to read the small print ... purely going by probable relative sizes of budgets at this stage ... until all the squads have been assembled and then everyone will revisit this thread.  Still think they will be seriously in the mix with McGlynn at the helm.

21 minutes ago, laughing gravie said:

Falkirk to win the league? 🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

Has hell frozen over already😱😱😱😱😱

They’ve now got a competent manager and should have a bigger budget than most if not all the teams in the league.  They’ll certainly finish above Alloa.

47 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Need to read the small print ... purely going by probable relative sizes of budgets at this stage ... until all the squads have been assembled and then everyone will revisit this thread.  Still think they will be seriously in the mix with McGlynn at the helm.

You’re definitely new here. We all laugh at Falkirk in this place. Been a few seasons since they’ve been around you. It’s fine, you’ll get used to it.

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

1. Dunfermline

2. Airdrie

3. Kelty Hearts

4. Montrose

5. Falkirk

6. QOS

7. Alloa

Peterhead

9. Edinburgh City

10. Clyde

I'll join in the fun as well. I am pretty sure about the foot of the table with a bottom three who will keep swopping places. Don't see anyone being a wee bit adrift like East Fife.

At the top 4 money may well be the key but that's not always meant the title. I don't see Kelty doing a Cove and Thomson going suggests mid table safety target.

As for the rest maybe Montrose will not have that resilience of recent seasons but that's me grasping at Straws. That leaves the relegated sides and it's unusual for both to still be competitive. Alloa will be a bit better and Falkirk under McGlynn should surely win more games but will fans stick with them if there is no quick successes. 

For my own lot it's not as bad as I feared and being always optimistic I see a top 4 as safe. We will then do a Queens Park.

Dunfermline 

2 Falkirk 

3 Alloa

4 Airdrieonians

5 Kelty Hearts 

6 Montrose  

7 Queen of South 

8 Edinburgh City

9 Peterhead

10 Clyde 

Edited by Chapelhall chap
Spelling

2 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I'll join in the fun as well. I am pretty sure about the foot of the table with a bottom three who will keep swopping places. Don't see anyone being a wee bit adrift like East Fife.

At the top 4 money may well be the key but that's not always meant the title. I don't see Kelty doing a Cove and Thomson going suggests mid table safety target.

As for the rest maybe Montrose will not have that resilience of recent seasons but that's me grasping at Straws. That leaves the relegated sides and it's unusual for both to still be competitive. Alloa will be a bit better and Falkirk under McGlynn should surely win more games but will fans stick with them if there is no quick successes. 

For my own lot it's not as bad as I feared and being always optimistic I see a top 4 as safe. We will then do a Queens Park.

Dunfermline 

2 Falkirk 

3 Alloa

4 Airdrieonians

5 Kelty Hearts 

6 Montrose  

7 Queen of South 

8 Edinburgh City

9 Peterhead

10 Clyde 

Difficult one to predict as teams haven't had their full squads signed up. As for the Falkirk prediction, no hard feelings, just don't think it will happen over night and no surprise from the red dot from the Falkirk poster

12 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Difficult one to predict as teams haven't had their full squads signed up. As for the Falkirk prediction, no hard feelings, just don't think it will happen over night and no surprise from the red dot from the Falkirk poster

Quite agree on the early nature of squads.  I don't see a red dot beside my post so no need for hard feelings. I also put them 2nd so they could fall at the semi final stages? 

16 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I see you meant an earlier post. Trying to watch Tennis and catch up!

4 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

They’ve now got a competent manager and should have a bigger budget than most if not all the teams in the league.  They’ll certainly finish above Alloa.

Hell has frozen over.

Budget means her haw. They've shown this by underachieving the last few years.

Same old, same old.

If they finish above Alloa, they'll have deserved it.  Not holding my breath though.

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

So why pick Falkirk?  Just because McGlynn is now manager?

Put lipstick on a pig, it's still a 🐷

15 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

You’re definitely new here. We all laugh at Falkirk in this place. Been a few seasons since they’ve been around you. It’s fine, you’ll get used to it.

12 hours ago, laughing gravie said:

So why pick Falkirk?  Just because McGlynn is now manager?

Put lipstick on a pig, it's still a 🐷

I've definitely hit a raw nerve here!

OK, so I get the ... "lets all have a good laugh at the "Big Time Charlies" who have come down to earth with a bump" thing.  And why not, if the fans of the bigger (relatively) clubs choose to dish it out in the first place then they've got to expect the same coming back at them with interest.  That's part of the fun of these forums, no problem there and you're entitled to wind them up.

However, as you guys both know deep down, eventually Falkirk will get it right - it's just a matter of when and not if.  The Bairns (and the Pars) are the (relatively) big fish in this division next season and they will have the bigger budgets.  Now generally/statistically over a reasonable period of time a bigger budget will mean better quality players/better quality coaches and that should lead eventually to being top of the particular pile.  The caveat in there of course is that during that "period of time" the bigger budget doesn't necessarily guarantee success - because we all know that a club can splash the cash on players and managers that turn out to be duds/basket cases - show me a club that hasn't got that on their CV, eh?  However, eventually, in the longer term the Bairns will get it right again (as will the Pars) - its just a matter of time ... and why isn't it about to be their time next season?

So when we are all surmising how this league turns out (and before the squads are finalised), all we have to go on are the usual things like assumed relative sizes of budgets, along with some other current info.  So is it a surprise that a lot of folk are suggesting the Bairns/the Pars could well top this league?  As I said in an earlier post - will be interesting to revisit this in say early July when we have a good idea of what the squads and management teams actually look like.

Plus of course ... we're all bored stiff during close season, hence why we're all posting such pish in the first place (me included)!

I'll wait till I see what the squads are looking like nearer the start of the season but stating the obvious I think us, Dunfermline, Montrose should be in the mix, totally unsure on Kelty, QoS. Airdrie I'd normally have said would be a stick on for top four but they have a rookie manager.

1st. Dunfermline Athletic
2nd. Falkirk
3rd. Queen of the South
4th. Airdrieonians
5th. Kelty Hearts
6th. Montrose
7th. Alloa Athletic
8th. FC Edinburgh
9th. Clyde

10th. Peterhead

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

... 2nd. Queen of the South ...

I like your prediction Ross ... but I think you need to take a wee lie down till you feel better ...