League One 22/23 Table Predictions

11 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

No not at all. All I’m trying to say is Airdrie and Montrose both had a smaller budget than Falkirk last season and both finished in the playoffs, miles ahead of Falkirk points wise. Two teams with hard working players that were collectively hard to beat over the course of the season. And then you look at Falkirk who massively underachieved, giving away cheap goals every single week and losing 4-1 and 3-0 at home to Airdrie and Montrose. When on paper, that should not be happening due to their squad and budget, but the hungrier team won on the day. Which brings me to my point that having a hard working team that play for each other is half the battle, instead of having a expensively put together team of individuals that think they’re too good for League 1. I’m in no way saying that you can’t have both a big budget AND a good team on the park. 

Players are not robots though why would they not be trying hard????

There is more to football and winning games than that, it’s a team game, building a team and environment where you can get the most out of the group is the key to success or failure. They have appointed dud managers and from top to bottom have been a mess of a club overall 

Doesn't mean they’re not trying or working hard though

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Because Falkirk were very poorly managed and squandered there budget on pish, there's absolutely no train of logic that says that if Falkirk has less money, they'd somehow be better. 

I didn’t say that, and if it came across that way, it wasn’t intended. I was trying to say with tongue in cheek, that if they had less money they’d  have a different team that would maybe have more fight. It wasn’t meant to be as deep as you think it is. But anyways, I’m not going to sit and argue over something daft. See you in the new season ⚽️ 

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Players are not robots though why would they not be trying hard????

There is more to football and winning games than that, it’s a team game, building a team and environment where you can get the most out of the group is the key to success or failure. They have appointed dud managers and from top to bottom have been a mess of a club overall 

Doesn't mean they’re not trying or working hard though

You’ve basically just said in your second sentence exactly what I’ve been trying to say haha. But yes, I agree on your point on their managers! 

I'm going to keep my powder dry until I see the final squads, however, I'm still enjoying reading other fans early thoughts and predictions. Unless you are Rangers or Celtic budget size is rarely an accurate indicator of league position. At least the managers are firmed up now and most squads are at least 50% assembled, so some early predictors are there.

The one thing I will predict now is that Alloa will do better than most are predicting here so far (approx average 7th place finish). Under Rice their late season form last season was good, they seem to have managed to keep most of their squad from last season and I think Rice will do okay there and does get the best out of young players. My prediction is they will make the play offs.

Done in the form of nicknames just to be different. Looks a tough league to call next season I’ll probably be not even close. 

1 Pars

2 Doonhamers

3 Bairns

4 Hearts

5 Diamonds

6 Wasps

7 Gable Endies

8 Blue Toon

9 Bully Wee

10 Citizens 

Doonhamer

On 05/06/2022 at 11:43, EdinburghBlue said:

Edinburgh City will be bottom unless they radically revamp their squad. Probably the worst team to come up in recent years. 

Based on the "fight" for 4th place between ourselves, Stenny and your team then I can't disagree. Three bald men fighting over a comb. Cove, Queens Park and Kelty showing that you need a whole ton of cash to get out of League 2 and survive and thrive in League 1. 

Unlike 12 months ago, we have pinned down some key players and the manager onto two year deals, so there is a desire to keep the majority of the promotion winning squad together.

City fans will know that it took MOTM performances in the play-off games from Brian "Ballon D'Or" Schwake and Innes Murray to get us promoted. Both have now departed so I'd say that signing a Goalkeeper, Centre Mid and Striker from the leagues above on loan is essential. 

On 05/06/2022 at 11:43, EdinburghBlue said:

Edinburgh City will be bottom unless they radically revamp their squad. Probably the worst team to come up in recent years. 

I'd absolutely agree with this!

We were a poor/average, mid table league 2 team for three quarters of last season.

Although most of the players deserve their chance in league one, we will also need to start signing 5 or 6 better quality to have a chance of staying up.

If City can finish third bottom next season then that's a good result for us! 👍

Falkirk, Dunfermline etc. The Bigger clubs should fight out the title.

Unless you are Rangers or Celtic budget size is rarely an accurate indicator of league position.

Aye it’s weird that, out of four leagues in Scotland, three of them were won by the team with the biggest budget!

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Aye it’s weird that, out of four leagues in Scotland, three of them were won by the team with the biggest budget!

League 1 being the exception, although despite Cove being part time I’d wager they're budget was up there and must have been pretty hefty. Guys like Vigurs, Fyvie, Reynolds, Draper ect will all be on similar money if not more than the likes of Falkirk or Dunfermline are paying full time players. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

League 1 being the exception, although despite Cove being part time I’d wager they're budget was up there and must have been pretty hefty. Guys like Vigurs, Fyvie, Reynolds, Draper ect will all be on similar money if not more than the likes of Falkirk or Dunfermline are paying players full time players. 

I would suspect cove would have had the second biggest budget behind falkirk. Queen’s Park would have been close behind them as well. So it is a pretty good indicator

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

I was talking about league position in general as opposed to those who win the league. for every Kelty or Kilmarnock there's an Aberdeen, hibs,  dunfermline, falkirk etc etc who way underperform v budget (or an Arbroath who overperform). Kilmarnocks budget dwarfed Arbroaths yet over a whole season Arbroath were only 10 minutes from beating them to promotion.  

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

I was talking about league position in general as opposed to those who win the league. for every Kelty or Kilmarnock there's an Aberdeen, hibs,  dunfermline, falkirk etc etc who way underperform v budget (or an Arbroath who overperform). Kilmarnocks budget dwarfed Arbroaths yet over a whole season Arbroath were only 10 minutes from beating them to promotion.  
Budget played a massive part even there I'd argue. If it was Arbroath who could have afforded to bring Lafferty in then I expect they'd have been promoted.

12 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

It’s not a guarantee, there’s a reason we play the games and not just submit our accounts. 

Arbroath overperformed, we underperformed but the 8 other championship sides performed around about how you’d expect.

I’m pretty sure dick Campbell would have loved to had the ability to go make the January signings Killie did. I doubt there’s a single manager who would tell their board that they’ve got the squad they want and not to worry about giving them any more cash.

This season was a bit of an exception in the premiership as teams like aberdeen and hibs went through changes. However, they are generally up there.

There will always been anomalies, however, the majority of the time, budget is the biggest indicator of whether a team will be successful