The McTominay Conundrum

ArabFC

9 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

But this verison of the fan base wouldnt have had guys like Fletcher, Park, O'Shea or Irwin either. And those guys successes speak for themselves.

This might be a modern fan thing, I think the vast majority of Man Utd fans liked those players. The players you mentioned were very good but were also hard workers that helped balance the team but in the last few years the gap between the top clubs has accelerated to such an extent now that almost every player at these top clubs has to be a superstar in their position.

Fergies era was not even that long ago.

He's obviously not a terrible player or anything, but I do understand why Man United fans get annoyed at him.

He's not a great passer from midfield, can take way too long on the ball, sometimes doesn't look like he's in control of his limbs (either while dribbling or as a target man), has the well-documented issues in buildup. I think it's testament to his mentality and ability to squeeze the most out of what he does have that he's managed to overcome those issues and have a career at a high level for so long. Man United may be a mid-CL/upper-EL team now, but that's a higher level than pretty much any other Scottish player has consistently performed at in recent years. 

He's been terrific for Scotland lately, but it's easy to forget the criticism he was getting before this great run of form. I'm sure if you look back at the match threads from Faroe Islands (A) and Czech Republic (Euros) then you'd see folk slagging him off for his performances in midfield. He is an unconventional player - one arguably playing in the wrong era - so it's easy to see why fans of a dysfunctional club find it hard to take to him. 

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

He's obviously not a terrible player or anything, but I do understand why Man United fans get annoyed at him.

I can't disagree particularly with anything you've said. However, one of the big differences between him and I think a lot of the people around him at Man Utd right now is he has a growth mindset. He is not their very best passer, however he is improving quite rapidly and put someone through for a goal at the weekend alongside a bunch of other intelligent build up play. He maybe didn't play well in those Scotland games but he is a far better player now than he was then.

He has had his bad games too obviously, including occasionally this season, but the trend is clear. 

If you couldn't see his worth against one of the world's best club teams last weekend you're blind imo.

Edited by The Algebraist

No surprise to see McTominay thrive with a competent sitting midfielder beside him. Mainoo reminds me of a better version of Gilmour at that age. I hope that they play together for the rest of the season, definitely gives McTominay more freedom to do his own thing

On 18/03/2024 at 20:10, Kevin Finnerty said:

Not sure why any professional footballer with a modicum of self-respect would feel the need to "debate" some youtuber who thinks he's crap, to be honest.

:lol: 

f**k sake