The McTominay Conundrum

ArabFC

59 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I think this just goes to show that even the very best managers have their blind spots.

Clarke arguably didn't have a fucking clue what he really had until the damp squib that was the last Euros. He does now.

Edited by Thumper

Just now, Thumper said:

Clarke arguably didn't have a fucking clue what he was doing until the damp squib that was the last Euros. He does now.

To be fair to Clarke his first task was to just get us beating the teams we should after years of hibsing it against pot 4/5/6 level pish. I’m not sure we were really ready to be a top 24 team in Europe and playing in the euros but the quirky format that meant a league C team had to qualify helped us and a great performance in Serbia to win our second straight penalty shootout.

The euros themselves were a bit of a reality check but I still maintain we should have beaten Czech Republic. Patrik Schick was just a far better finisher than anyone on our team that day but IMO we were the better team despite the 2-0 defeat.

Since then though it’s been nearly constant improvement. The only real disappointment since the euros was that June window last year, but we did well to render the Ireland result meaningless at least. I’ve forgiven Clarke for Denmark away in September 21 because he had a lot of covid related call offs and we actually played alright for the last 75 minutes albeit we were already 2-0 down. 

I really believe something special is being built here. Not only are we going to absolutely romp home in qualifying but I think we can realistically target a run to the quarter finals in Germany. Getting out of the group should be a minimum target. Next thing after that is making some noise in UNL League A and then we can start thinking 2026 World Cup. 

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

To be fair to Clarke his first task was to just get us beating the teams we should after years of hibsing it against pot 4/5/6 level pish. I’m not sure we were really ready to be a top 24 team in Europe and playing in the euros but the quirky format that meant a league C team had to qualify helped us and a great performance in Serbia to win our second straight penalty shootout.

Yeah I edited it. Obviously Clarke understood the assignment but it's only since then that he's realised the true potential he has to hand instead of just trying to slot in whoever the press generally considers to have the most skill points in a given position into that hole. Couple that with an extremely strong team spirit and he's gotten a squad that's already got more raw talent than any of the last 25 years playing like more than the sum of their parts.

It must be so fucking weird being like eight years old right now and seeing "away to Cyprus" next on the fixture list and not having an immediate ghastly stomach-clenching reaction.

Edited by Thumper

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Yeah I edited it. Obviously Clarke understood the assignment but it's only since then that he's realised the true potential he has to hand instead of just trying to slot in whoever the press generally considers to have the most skill points in a given position into that hole. Couple that with an extremely strong team spirit and he's gotten a squad that's already got more raw talent than any of the last 25 years playing like more than the sum of their parts.

It must be so fucking weird being like eight years old right now and seeing "away to Cyprus" next on the fixture list and not having an immediate ghastly stomach-clenching reaction.

I'm impressed you can empathise with an 8 year-old.

Are you 9 years old?

4 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

I'm impressed you can empathise with an 8 year-old.

Are you 9 years old?

Ah, 02:15 BST. What a surprise that professed teetotaller TONTROOPER has randomly started picking fights with his abominable patter again!

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Ah, 02:15 BST. What a surprise that professed teetotaller TONTROOPER has randomly started picking fights with his abominable patter again!

Picking fights?.....pray tell.....what ails ye sir?

I also take issue with "professed teetotaller"....who the fek told you that?.........

Douglas Ross?

Edited by TONTROOPER

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Going to Celtic according to the Internet.

The average wage of an EPL player is around £80k a week. He must be around this figure, as a Man Utd player who has extended his contract a few times he is likely above this figure. 

Celtic have a wage structure, doubt they will go much above £30k a week, £35k-£40k at a maximum. 

Transfer fee I would expect Man Utd would look for £30-£40m for him.

How journalists/reporters/in the know bloggers can make these things up and it actually gains traction is incredible.

.....same goes for Tierney.

44 minutes ago, ahemps said:

The average wage of an EPL player is around £80k a week. He must be around this figure, as a Man Utd player who has extended his contract a few times he is likely above this figure. 

Celtic have a wage structure, doubt they will go much above £30k a week, £35k-£40k at a maximum. 

How journalists/reporters/in the know bloggers can make these things up and it actually gains traction is incredible.

He is actually one of their "lower earners" on around a measly 60k a week.

3 hours ago, ahemps said:

KT is a bit more reasonable because of his past with Celtic and his personal reasons.

Still think the Newcastle links (for both of them) are the best options. Not to far from home for KT and they'd both probably be starting players. KT especially.

Celtic are - as you rightly say - going to be outpriced on the wage front, presumably.

51 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

McTominay would struggle more at Celtic than he would at Liverpool or Newcastle. 

What.

And he isn't coming to us this side of 30. And neither is Tierney or any other proven player EPL really in their prime.