The McTominay Conundrum

ArabFC

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Fletcher was eventually liked by United fans, but there was a spell when he was roughly McTominay's age where he was the whipping boy, round about the same time Roy Keane namechecked him in the infamous interview that got him sacked.

Overall I dont think that's true, even in their run to the champions league final (which he was suspended for) which he was absolutely excellent. It was acknowledged by everyone else, alot of and id say most man u fans couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Wether thats an anti Scottish bias I dont know, but I cant help thinking it is. And also that McTominay wouldn't receive nearly as much criticism if he were English (or playing for england).

There was definitely a spell at Man U where he was derided as "only getting picked because he was Scottish", and some roaster put him up for sale on eBay. He won over the utd fans eventually tho. 

With Scotland it felt like we loved him at first because we had a young man u player to call upon ... then the dimmer section of our support got angry with him because he wasn't Ronaldo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...