Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

2 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

You are totally right. Sadly two of the clubs affected also voted against B teams. Is it a coincidence?

I’m confident that B teams will soon be voted out. Edinburgh Uni being replace by Broxburn swings the vote.

Next up has to be at least 2 teams down from the LL. I’d like to see 3 teams down with the champions from West and East up automatically and a playoff for 2nd in West and East and Champions of the South for the 3rd promotion place but I can hit dream.

Before anyone asks, the South not being automatically promoted for me is obvious given the score lines in the playoffs. Gretna a shoe-in to go down next year and I don’t expect to see them back anytime soon after that.

Increased relegation won't happen until what's below has been sorted. Everyone keeps on going about the west teams but their isn't enough of them licensed. You can't pick and choose who you want up if south has to be a tier 6 league. It needs to go into the west

4 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

You are totally right. Sadly two of the clubs affected also voted against B teams. Is it a coincidence?

I’m confident that B teams will soon be voted out. Edinburgh Uni being replace by Broxburn swings the vote.

Next up has to be at least 2 teams down from the LL. I’d like to see 3 teams down with the champions from West and East up automatically and a playoff for 2nd in West and East and Champions of the South for the 3rd promotion place but I can hit dream.

Before anyone asks, the South not being automatically promoted for me is obvious given the score lines in the playoffs. Gretna a shoe-in to go down next year and I don’t expect to see them back anytime soon after that.

Why should there be two teams down from LL? When the West joined they were never promised that and still joined up. 

The LL is the only league in the pro game that has AUTOMATIC relegation for its bottom club. Maybe they should change that to a play-off like the Highland League and SPFL. 

So much disrespect here for the SoSFL. At least they have had a champion club to take part in the play-offs. 

It is quite clear the LL are not going to open up anymore spaces. So lets stop crying about it and move on. These threads are embarrassing. Its like three bald men fighting over a comb. 

17 minutes ago, It's Me said:

It is quite clear the LL are not going to open up anymore spaces. So lets stop crying about it and move on. These threads are embarrassing. Its like three bald men fighting over a comb. 

Not for next season, but with one [about to be former] EoSFL board members club now in the LL that time is approaching. Gretna going down next season with another EoS/WoS club coming up, it would probably be enough to tip the balance come a vote.

4 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Not for next season, but with one [about to be former] EoSFL board members club now in the LL that time is approaching. Gretna going down next season with another EoS/WoS club coming up, it would probably be enough to tip the balance come a vote.

We thought the same thing about the B team vote with more former SPFL teams coming down... That went well! 

30 minutes ago, It's Me said:

Why should there be two teams down from LL? When the West joined they were never promised that and still joined up. 

The LL is the only league in the pro game that has AUTOMATIC relegation for its bottom club. Maybe they should change that to a play-off like the Highland League and SPFL. 

So much disrespect here for the SoSFL. At least they have had a champion club to take part in the play-offs. 

Sorry?

2 minutes ago, Spyro said:

We thought the same thing about the B team vote with more former SPFL teams coming down... That went well! 

Not sure why former SPFL clubs would tip that balance given the money on offer from the B teams.  However, this isn't about B teams.

The LL needs to increase pro/rel, it wasn't voted on at AGM on Monday so there is scope to have it tabled again at next years AGM.  I would imagine that Broxburn are another pro-reform vote, although it may take another season or two, but it's coming.

55 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Not sure why former SPFL clubs would tip that balance given the money on offer from the B teams.  However, this isn't about B teams.

The LL needs to increase pro/rel, it wasn't voted on at AGM on Monday so there is scope to have it tabled again at next years AGM.  I would imagine that Broxburn are another pro-reform vote, although it may take another season or two, but it's coming.

I can't see it happening until below changes to either a 2nd lowland league. The west get more licensed clubs and or sosfl find their place. 

Although it could be seen as being unfair for sosfl teams at tier 6 to go in near the bottom of wosfl

10 minutes ago, searchers1963 said:

I can't see it happening until below changes to either a 2nd lowland league. The west get more licensed clubs and or sosfl find their place.

What's stopping relegation is self-preservation. Not the excuses that come from it.

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

Apparently this was raised at a lowland league club meeting in February or March and not one club backed the idea that was put forward from Tranent. I think that speaks volumes and clearly shows how they feel about things. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, It's Me said:

The bottom team in the Lowland League are not automatically relegated. It depends on what happens with relegation from League Two/promotion from tier 5.

Edited by stanley

2 hours ago, It's Me said:

35 minutes ago, It's Me said:

Apparently this was raised at a lowland league club meeting in February or March and not one club backed the idea that was put forward from Tranent. I think that speaks volumes and clearly shows how they feel about things. 

Your poor grasp of basic facts is embarrassing

3 minutes ago, It's Me said:

So was it not put forward by Tranent and not one other club backed it? 

APPARENTLY so. But going by your previous statement about relegation, forgive me for taking it with a pinch of salt

Posted (edited)

Has any explanation ever been given as to why the lowland league is apparently capped at 16 (excluding ‘guests’) yet the highland league is allowed 18?

Not only does the highland league struggle a lot more to get games played but the gulf from top to bottom is enormous.

IMO the lowland league should also be 18 teams (with no b-teams) but if the SPFL insist on 16 then why not shrink the highland league to match.

ETA: even at 18 plus 2 guests I reckon the lowland league could easily fit in a 38 game season especially if they ditch one of the 200 diddy cups.

Edited by Clyde01

12 minutes ago, Spyro said:

APPARENTLY so. But going by your previous statement about relegation, forgive me for taking it with a pinch of salt

You can take it however you like, but that is what happened. 

The LL clubs could vote to change the rules to increase the number but any changes need approved by the SFA board.    

Been posted before that SFA have said it won't increase from 16. 

I think the SFA worry that another 2 votes in the LL could cause them issues down the line.

28 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

The LL clubs could vote to change the rules to increase the number but any changes need approved by the SFA board.    

I think the SFA worry that another 2 votes in the LL could cause them issues down the line.

Also it wont leave any room to slot in b teams

56 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

That's good to know. We now won't be having anymore b teams. And leaves room for 2 teams to be promoted when current b teams get voted out.