Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

1 hour ago, leomessi1984 said:

Good to see the league more even at the bottom. With Gretna improved there is not a clear 1 or 2 for the drop. A sign the the system is beginning to work somewhat, however still a ways to go. A team from the West getting up next for me would be good to see.

Clydebank are fully focused on winning the WOSFL. With Darvel dropping, Beith and Talbot in a transitional state and Pollok, well their issues are offield they will not have a better chance to reach the playoff.

Which if they do will be a 3 way I feel, with Star looking the strongest in the SOSFL once again.

p.s. Hopefully, Broomhill will be cast adrift  About time this pet project was put to bed.

On 03/10/2024 at 07:07, Connor7 said:

The most competitive the league has probably ever been so far. 

1/3 of the way through, and it’s hard to call at the top of the table. No runaway leader as of yet. 

Bottom of the table is very similar, any of the bottom 4 could go down! 

Yet from about 7th to 14th the seasons probably as good as over apart from cup ties. 

This is the issue with Scottish football, leagues of 10 have teams playing each other far too often yet anything around 16+ teams will be stuck with meaningless games and it's only October. No real fix I suppose.

EK probably still odds on but credit to the former junior clubs and Braves pushing them this far. 

1 hour ago, Omnishambles said:

Berwick being mid table with a -21 GD is mad. That good run at the beginning of the season will likely keep them out of any real trouble.

In their opening 4 matches they conceded on average one goal per game. In the 8 matches since they've conceded over 3.5 goals per game.

Other weird ones: Hearts B took 12 points from their opening 5 games, and have only taken 3 points from their past 7 games. All of Broomhill's points have come on the road while all 12 of CSS' points have been won at home. 

It mainly concerns the "trust trophy" debacle where ex SPFL clubs were invited to participate as "guests" ahead of licenced clubs who had finished above them in the LL.

They also have issues with the make up of the SPFL board and a perceived lack of representation for clubs lower down the pyramid.

37 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The article's from August and the meeting was supposed to have been held on September 5th.

It did take place. Seems Doncaster did not cover himself in glory.

22 minutes ago, Nicholas Rage said:

He almost never does, in front of the cameras or behind closed doors.

The LL have been put on the naughty step by the SFA for sticking them into the Scottish Govt for doing nothing about themselves in their SPFL guise over inviting their mates into the Trust trophy thus giving them handouts.

Its about time someone took this cartel on.

Edited by Eadie is God

10 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Yet from about 7th to 14th the seasons probably as good as over apart from cup ties. 

This is the issue with Scottish football, leagues of 10 have teams playing each other far too often yet anything around 16+ teams will be stuck with meaningless games and it's only October. No real fix I suppose.

EK probably still odds on but credit to the former junior clubs and Braves pushing them this far. 

tbf if Broomhill and East Stirlingshire werent so woeful there would be plenty to interest 12th down. Also to be honest everyone down to Stirling Uni is still in with a shout, the results so far this season show that theres not really a team that wont take points of anyone else. EKs spending power once again is likely to be the defining factor and theyve been doing their usual signing every time a bad result comes, I just hope that if it is them again they can actually do something other than totally bottle the playoff. Theyre an absolute cork in the bottle at the moment on the likes of Bo'ness, Tranent, Broxburn and Linlithgow. 

Will be interesting to see if Caley Braves can keep up their results as well, theyve had an incredible start so far.

11 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

If they allocate the SFL Trust Places they way they should do then the competition to finish in the top 6(?) would be vast!

There’s no doubt there should also be at least 2 (should be 3 for me) down and there you have the best league in Scotland.

Set that up then there’s a strong case for automatic promotion to the rest of Scottish fitba.

Just now, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

If they allocate the SFL Trust Places they way they should do then the competition to finish in the top 6(?) would be vast!

There’s no doubt there should also be at least 2 (should be 3 for me) down and there you have the best league in Scotland.

Set that up then there’s a strong case for automatic promotion to the rest of Scottish fitba.

Hard agree on the idea of 2 down automatically and 3rd bottom goes into a playoff with the tier 6 winner who finishes last in a round robin for promotion. Obviously needs a licenced winner from each T6 league, but would certainly reduce on seasons ending prematurely. 

As for the SPFL Trust Trophy debacle, you are absolutely right, theres no reason why the SPFL have done it the way they did this season except to give a hand to their old pals, its frankly corrupt. 

1 minute ago, bigwullieac said:

Hard agree on the idea of 2 down automatically and 3rd bottom goes into a playoff with the tier 6 winner who finishes last in a round robin for promotion. Obviously needs a licenced winner from each T6 league, but would certainly reduce on seasons ending prematurely. 

As for the SPFL Trust Trophy debacle, you are absolutely right, theres no reason why the SPFL have done it the way they did this season except to give a hand to their old pals, its frankly corrupt. 

I’m not sure about 3rd bottom playing off against 3rd in the round Robin as the LL finishes over a month before Tier 6.

If it didn’t I’d agree though. I’d like to see WoS/EoS Champions automatically promoted and 2nd in each could play each other then the winner of that plays the the SOS champions for the promotion spot.

Understand SOS have been part of this for a long time but that league needs merged with the WOS as it’s simply not up to the standard of the others.