Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

16 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

What is it with you guys and boycotts, did you not try that last season as well?

Again, why are we being singled out, unless you are another paranoid one who believes Cowden are controlling everything?  Will you be boycotting Berwick, ES and Albion Rovers as well? Bizarre.

No, probably just Cowden. If the thinking is the same amongst the support that are the supporters club.

4 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

No, probably just Cowden. If the thinking is the same amongst the support that are the supporters club.

missing out on a day out in Cowdenbeath, good solid high street plenty boozers

1 hour ago, lithgierose said:

Think if spfl had gave a reason how they came to how teams were invited would have helped. Not sure if linlithgow will be running a bus to Cowden this coming season.

Going to football games are personal choice. If you choose not to go to a particular place then that’s your prerogative. I will be visiting Linlithgow if I can. 

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

There is a difference between pinning the "blame" on Cowdenbeath, which I clearly haven't done, and pointing out that the club is being absolutely shameless in accepting these entirely undeserved invitations to participate in competitions they have no business being in. The posts from the fans on the last couple of pages sum this attitude up too, not even a tiniest glimmer of embarrassment about the whole thing, just gloating.

I think the Cowdenbeath fans are embarrassed but doing their best to cover it up.

Posted (edited)

It is OK to take bias out of these situations. I am a Hearts fan but I remain completely against B teams being in the Lowland League.

It is not the fault of the fans of the four former SPFL for the cup decision nor can they really do anything about it (and clearly some of the posts from the Cowden fans on here are people deliberately trying to get a reaction).

In isolation, the decision to invite those clubs is just a strange/bad one. The overall picture, however, certainly points towards the authorities doing what they can to limit the impact of the pyramid on established SPFL clubs. The bronze licensing rules are just another part of that process and I wouldn't be surprised if more things like this happen in future years.

Edited by stanley

2 hours ago, onecowden said:

Going to football games are personal choice. If you choose not to go to a particular place then that’s your prerogative. I will be visiting Linlithgow if I can. 

At least you will be able to get a pie&bovril and still see the game. And be able to go for a pish inside the ground 🤣

3 hours ago, lithgierose said:

It’s quite bizarre that fans would boycott another team on the grounds of a decision made by a governing body which is not influenced in any way by either club.

You guys do have previous for this, I’d actually forgotten about the supposed boycott from this past season after we pumped you out the Scottish Cup, I can’t even remember what the perceived slight was.

Didn’t like the wooden seats in the old stand or your supporters bus couldn’t get parked as close to the ground as you liked, something like that?  Hopefully there will be some Rose fans that will think for themselves and not do what the supporters club tell them.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John S said:

I think the Cowdenbeath fans are embarrassed but doing their best to cover it up.

Embarrassed ? No. Grateful - yes. Strange decision - yep. Understand some of the ire on here but not the ridiculous finger pointing. Perhaps the LL should be approaching the SPFL with a view to regularising the situation with regards to the invitations to this cup. If clubs knew that a top 6 (or 8 depending) league finish would secure an invite then that, at least, would offer some kind of incentive to the clubs to crack on throughout the season - which after roughly about the end of September seems to become essentially meaningless for the majority.  

Edited by ronaldincoo

Posted (edited)

There seems to be very little or poor dialogue between SPFL and Lowland League board. Why?

Surely top 5 / 6 teams getting into Challenge Cup can give most teams in Lowland League something to play for all season as quite tight between 5th to 11th - basically like European places for Lowland League teams as well as having 2 guaranteed relegation spots.....LOL.

It is clearly SPFL trying to give some sort of parachute payments / thank you payment to ex SPFL teams over the last 5 years or so and they will do what they want as their tournament. The SPFL and Lowland League and Highland League need to get the pyramid sorted out but I doubt they will as SPFL seem keen to stop further relegation by Bronze licensing and likely try for Silver or some other sort of fees for non SPFL teams to keep their licenses.....then what next?

Edited by Shannon

28 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

It’s quite bizarre that fans would boycott another team on the grounds of a decision made by a governing body which is not influenced in any way by either club.

You guys do have previous for this, I’d actually forgotten about the supposed boycott from this past season after we pumped you out the Scottish Cup, I can’t even remember what the perceived slight was.

Didn’t like the wooden seats in the old stand or your supporters bus couldn’t get parked as close to the ground as you liked, something like that?  Hopefully there will be some Rose fans that will think for themselves and not do what the supporters club tell them.

Nothing to do with homophobic chants to a rose player then . And Cowden fans attacking said players uncle ( bad move  as they found out the sore way 😂) couple of your fans running at rose fans ( one on crutches ) when Cowden scoring. One of those fanny's getting about 10ft away and kicked a bucket when challenged,then fvcked of sharpish. He wasn't at return game. Funny that.

5 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

Don’t see you ranting on Berwick, ES or Albion forums but it’s all a bit of banter so calm doon min.

I haven't seen their fans all over this thread giving the big 'un.

1 hour ago, lithgierose said:

Nothing to do with homophobic chants to a rose player then . And Cowden fans attacking said players uncle ( bad move  as they found out the sore way 😂) couple of your fans running at rose fans ( one on crutches ) when Cowden scoring. One of those fanny's getting about 10ft away and kicked a bucket when challenged,then fvcked of sharpish. He wasn't at return game. Funny that.

Thank you, I had genuinely forgotten what all the boycott thing was about. We tend to stand along the far end of the terracing so I had no awareness there was any bother, other than when we came down the terracing steps there was a little shouting.

Seems a really out of character thing for the home support, never seen anything like that in the time I have been going.

If fans want to use that incident as a reason to not visit, then that is completely their choice, but to use the SPFL trust thing as some sort of corroboration of that decision makes no sense to me, since our club were as much involved in the decision making as yours was.

3 hours ago, John S said:

You're giving them too much credit, they're loving the crumbs thrown down to them from the SPFL they weren't good enough to stay in.

20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You're giving them too much credit, they're loving the crumbs thrown down to them from the SPFL they weren't good enough to stay in.

Then rubbing everyone's noses in it and getting all upset when their cunty behaviour is called out

2 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Then rubbing everyone's noses in it and getting all upset when their cunty behaviour is called out

Rubbing whose noses in it? We are a middle of the fifth tier team that have been invited into a diddy cup. I personally don't care. It was a shit wee cup when we were in the proper leagues and it's a shit wee cup now. I actually find it depressing that we are at a stage when this kind of occurrence is at all noteworthy for us. Definitely not something to boast about 

'Rubbing everyone's noses in it'

Come on man. Even a blinder than blind man can see pretty much every comment from any of our support regards the matter should be taken with a pint full of salt. Is banter now not acceptable?

I guarantee if you asked every Cowdenbeath supporter if we felt like we deserved an invite on merit, every single one would say no. Of course we don't, as was the case with the Viaplay last season.

I really didn't think the above needed pointed out, but here we are.

The fact I have hardly seen the last 2 posters on here before is encouraging. Maybe there is intelligent life out there after all. Genuinely had nothing against Cowdenbeath before reading some of the condescending shite posted by a few of your fellow supporters and board members recently 

2 minutes ago, Spyro said:

The fact I have hardly seen the last 2 posters on here before is encouraging. Maybe there is intelligent life out there after all. Genuinely had nothing against Cowdenbeath before reading some of the condescending shite posted by a few of your fellow supporters and board members recently 

This greatly offends me (if I'm correct in assuming you mean me). I've been here far too long and I'm definitely not intelligent.