Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Have you looked at the league tables of either? Teams on single figure points or very close, clubs conceding over 100 goals, regular 7-0+ scorelines.

Yep. But in the HL there were three teams in contention for the title on the last day. That's pretty competitive, at the only end of the table that matters at the moment.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Strathman said:

as well as Stephen McManus 

Were none of the Caldwell's involved? That Clyde team were very decent too, some brilliant players in that squad...

Although how someone can use that game to argue that Dalbeattie or Creetown could hold their own in the Lowland League was quite funny

Edited by Spyro

7 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Were none of the Caldwell's involved? That Clyde team were very decent too, some brilliant players in that squad...

Although how someone can use that game to argue that Dalbeattie or Creetown could hold their own in the Lowland League was quite funny

Just looked it up and Caldwell not involved. I just remember McManus having a horrific game but Du Wei, also bad, copping all of the flak. Brilliant game right enough. 

9 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

The South of Scotland League is a long established league and as such they do deserve some respect. From what I can see, they have always gone about their business in the right way and with the big influx of clubs changing codes, haven’t looked to stand in anyone's way of progress.

100% Agree above. I personally think the SOSFL is needed and is justified being at their level for the moment but think the standard is low in football terms having watched quite a few and when you see the playoff results and majority of SSC results it does show the league to be a lower level than a tier 6 league.

Unfortunately, that's now caught everyone's eye a bit due to the almost guaranteed chance of a licensed East and South winner... but no guarantee of a licensed West winner. And putting the South in direct competition for a playoff that does mean something.   

Agree with this but as you say the Pyramid in the way it is shaped now is ultimately the pyramid is only 3 years old and when you look at the difference of the lowland league when its first inception with their teams to now, its way different, the league progressing and teams leaving up and down to find their level.  I thought the Lowland league was the hardest its ever been in quality but when you not consider that Broxburn have joined and Edinburgh Uni have been relegated, net season it will be the hardest league and Broxburn are not in the Lowland to be relegated, it will be another old face leaving the Lowland League

The pyramid in it's current full form... ie all regions being a part of it... is only 3 years old (covid got in the way). So it will evolve over time and it's levels will change. But I think the change for the SofSL is not lowering it's ranking, but giving it a fixed boundary between it and the west... and moving that north - give them an influx of more clubs.

I think they were slightly forgotten about/shafted at WofSL inception and maybe guilty themselves of staying too quiet. But surely the answer was... add in Ayrshire clubs - definitely South Ayrshire, possibly also East Ayrshire. That gives the league about 15-20 more clubs (including those in D&G that play elsewhere) - this likely gives them scope for 3 divisions where all can find their level and possibly opens up a larger playing pool for clubs to draw from. It would help with the lack of competition the better South teams have by giving them stronger sides (and that lack of competition was very evident in the Broxburn v Dalbeattie plsyoff). This would also help the WofSL by breaking up the Junior "cartel" a bit and give Pollok/Clydebank, etc more chance of winning their league to qualify for a play-off.

To be honest i get where you are coming from but i believe that will not happen, there was a big fuss, although not official that some clubs fans stating they don't want their clubs to be licensed as they would be promoted and miss out on local derbies.  I do not believe there is one Ayrshire club who would want to join the SOS league for many reason, travelling being one of them.

Arranging the West and South pyramid properly at the West inception is a huge missed opportunity by the SFA and whoever else was involved. It's left the South a bit hung out to dry and looked down upon and due to an influx of amateurs and boys clubs in a rapid timescale, left the West a closed shop.

I still think something can be done but it has to be mutual benefit to both leagues and the rest, EOSFL and LL

Maybe after the West gets itself a couple of licensed winners and promotions, it might be looked at again... especially if less committed West pyramid sides start to see the benefit... but more likely everything will stay as it is for another 50-100 years and this same debate will swing around every couple of seasons!

Well that is what the pyramid is for, to give every team a chance to progress if they want too and for the pyramid to continue even when we are all dead and burned in 100 years.  Obviously thats the main thinking but there's always barriers in our pyramid until we get it right.

11 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

Anyone know what leagues feed the Highland league?

Is it promotion playoffs from different areas such as the Eos Wos Sos we have?

NCL, North Juniors and Midland League.

And yes.

9 hours ago, Shannon said:

The Lowland League really should have been allowed to split into West and East at the formation or when West sides joined but SPFL / Lowland League clearly didnt want this. Also the Junior teams at time didn't get involved in debate to really push for this. It would make much more sense with Scotland's population largely in central belt to have 3 feeder leagues to SPFL with West, East and North. 

Agreed. The big issue there was that the ex-juniors (particularly in the west) dragged their heels for so long, they weren't in the room when these decisions were made.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Honestly don’t see what the issue is here? Couple of posters on here defending the South of Scotland league position within the pyramid system and you/others having a go at them - why?

None of those teams have stopped the likes of Tranent and Broxburn getting promoted to the lowland League. If the likes of Dalbeattie & (can’t remember the team who Tranent/Darvel met). Win play-offs, they deserve to go up. On both occasions, they lost, so no damage done to EoS sides.

There are many flaws about the pyramid system, but surely SoSL isn’t one of them. 

Could easily have 3 up and 3 down with only West and East divisions when the top West teams get licensed. It's not a walk in the park to get licensed even if you have £300,000 to spend on it.

IF South does feed into West division somehow so only have a East and West Premier then could be very good argument for at very least 2 up and 2 down from Lowland League with all champion clubs being promoted and I would say then could and should have 3 up and 3 down like rest of tier 6 to tier 10 with runners up in East and West playing off over 2 legs for 3rd promotion place. That would be the ideal scenario but I don't ever see it happening as clearly Gala & Braves chairman and others have very very different ideas and want basically a closed shop as League Two does & they were here first & f**k the Juniors especially the West etc etc instead of looking at the future and how to improve Lowland League.

Edited by Shannon

Some of the comments on here :lol:

A lot of people cocksure Gretna are going down just because they were struggling last season. 

Who's to say they won't have a team competing on the park next season?

Least give them till September/October to reserve judgement. 

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

A lot of people cocksure Gretna are going down just because they were struggling last season. 

I think they're certainly favourites, but its still in the too early to tell zone as they've changed managers. Despite all the talk of them being better off in the South, just like Dalbeattie they've been clinging onto the LL as long they can.

Its gone a little unnoticed but Gala have been dropping off recently. If Gretna could build teams better than them in the past. It's certainly possible in the season ahead.

7 hours ago, Shannon said:

should have 3 up and 3 down like rest of tier 6 to tier 10

Its not really like Tier 6-10 as its a branching out point. So while its nice and neat to say 3up/3down. It could be 1up from a particular Tier 6 league with 3 back down giving a +2 surplus. What's the Tier 6 league doing then? 5 down all the way.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Its gone a little unnoticed but Gala have been dropping off recently. 

If they went down would that mean a new Lowland League Chairman? 

3 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Not a certainty, of course, but they are favourites and not only based on last season.

2023/24: Second bottom (ahead of Edinburgh Uni)

2022/23: Third bottom (ahead of Edinburgh Uni and Dalbeattie)

2021/22: Second bottom (ahead of Vale of Leithen)

Interesting to see how the likes of Gala Fairydean, Broomhill and East Stirlingshire do as well.

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Its not really like Tier 6-10 as its a branching out point. So while its nice and neat to say 3up/3down. It could be 1up from a particular Tier 6 league with 3 back down giving a +2 surplus. What's the Tier 6 league doing then? 5 down all the way.

The leagues already need to have a plan for this as although its unlikely that scenario is already possible. Two teams could be relegated from LL and both could go into the same league. If the winner of said league is not licensed or loses the playoff then it's a +2 surplus. Not sure what happens elsewhere but been told that EOS plan would be to have one season where 18 teams are in the prem.

On 31/05/2024 at 12:01, Bad Wolf said:

I have to admit that I'm (almost) as intransigent in my position as those I disagree with. I will never accept that a league, and it's clubs, who engaged with the pyramid from the beginning should make way for the convenience of those who didn't, and in many cases still don't. So what can we do, aside from whine about the SOSL on as many different boards and threads as possible?

Also, unless you're all in possession of crystal balls, there is no guarantee that Dalbeattie Star, for example, will still be outmatched by the likes of Broxburn in 5, 10 or 15 years time. Remember when Clyde knocked Celtic out the cup and almost got promoted to the top division? Now look at them...

I'm sorry but the post above, I have never disagree with anyone because of a post like this before. If the poster is being serious. Nothing personal but I sometimes think what people's heads are at.   I have no affiliation to any team, I just enjoy going to games at the levels of tier 5 to tier 10 so I do think I come in at this in a objective and progressive view.
No one is asking a league to make way  because of convenience of those who didn't. but your comments of,  "I will never accept that a league, and it's clubs, who engaged with the pyramid from the beginning should make way for the convenience of those who didn't, and in many cases still don't",  is one of the reason why the pyramid is where its at.  I believe everyone of us, South, West and East are in agreement the competitive standard of the SOSFL is no where near as competitive as the premier of the East and West leagues.  We need a SOSFL and the SOSFL should always remain and remain in the pyramid but where in the pyramid is what everyone differs from.

I do think to myself, do people come on here and make comments objectively or due to their blinkered support of their team, their league and or even their area.
Dalbeattie from the SOSFL will always, and the SOS champions will always be beaten in the playoffs if it stays the way it is, (for official business I will say 99% as nothing in football is 100%). The main reason is the standard of football played by the 12 teams in the SOSFL, its not competitive enough. Yes in every league is a selection of top teams and this season end it was Dalbeattie but they are constantly playing against lower quality teams in their league and having this for a whole season make your team weaker playing against a way low level of teams.  Personally I think the WOSFL premier is a higher standard than the EOSFL premier, (only because most fo their tops teams have been promoted past few seasons) but thats my view as I watch many games in all leagues but both top divisions are playing against competitive teams the whole season.
Again as my post stats below
Is the SOSFL justified being at tier 6, yes because they were there to start off and nothing has changed since.
SOSFL is at tier 6, are they a league whose top division should be at the level of tier 6, without a shadow of doubt they are not.

I would like to see the SOSFL go to the level they should be but it must be mutual agreement from all leagues.  If its about being engulfed by the WOSFL, it sounds good but it does open up a can of worms in many ways which would have to be addressed.
The only real hindrance the SOSFL gives in my mind as in regards to the progression of the pyramid is that if there was only a West and East at tier 6 that would make it a weaker stance by the Lowland league having possible only 1 relegated never mind two so if they changed it too two straight forward promotions of the East n West champions and two relegated then it would be a lot smoother and the pyramids would be sped up to what is should be.

But things like this have to all be mutually agreed.

In essence, the pyramid is really only 3 years old and most teams are reaching the level they should be, still a few in the Lowland should defiantly be lower. The same with the whole SOSFL but there are many games there that are enjoyable but not as competitive as the East and West.  The licensing carry on with the West teams is just been unlucky  the way its turned out but eventually it will change with teams winning the league who are licensed.

On 30/05/2024 at 23:40, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Trying to put this into words so its understood the way its intended, but feck me, that's hard

Sorry the pyramid will grow and adapt to improve.  There are obviously people, clubs  individuals who are only thinking of their clubs or to try and gain power or make money for themselves.  I'm not just talking about the Lowland or SOS.
As you said, if the pyramid was started today it would look different. Agreed, if we all learned from the mistakes of today - Yes 100%.
SOSFL is at tier 6, are they a league whose top division should be at the level of tier 6, without a shadow of  doubt they are not. Are they justified to being at tier 6 at the moment, yes they are, as they were one of the first.

SOSFL in regards to the other tier 6 leagues, reminds me of youth football, their champions go into playoffs and recorded defeats of  7 . 0,  8 . 1 (14 . 2 aggregate), are what is expected and I don't even see any SOSFL tier 6 club winning  a playoff to be promoted to tier 5, this tells me that the league should be lower down a level. Honestly for a tier 6 champion these scores should not be happening. So if and when the a restructure happens it should all be agreed mutually by everyone,  they should never be forced, it should be mutual agreement where they go and even then it has to be viable as this opens up a big can of worms but I believe there will be a solution some day that most people in the four leagues it effects will be happy with.

I will say, i don't care what anyone thinks, for the SOSFL chairman and committee to see their champions demoralized each year like this is highly embarrassing or they should be