Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

6 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I've laid out as simply as I can why the case has already been made, the LL has already provided the SPFL with 4 clubs. the HL has provided one club.  Between them they've relegated 5 SPFL clubs who weren't good enough for that level.  Prior to the Pyramid, these clubs would have trundled along, protected by the SFL.

What part of that is evidence free? what part of that doesn't underline that auto promotion should now be implemented or that the LL has not presented it's best clubs, and won. Take your time.

It is simply not worth bothering.  Cove Rangers or Kelty Hearts doing quite well in the SPFL does not make the case for the SPFL giving automatic promotion to a team that comes 4th in a devalued league that only occupies the 5th tier due to a quirk.   

2 minutes ago, Cannibal said:

It is simply not worth bothering.  Cove Rangers or Kelty Hearts doing quite well in the SPFL does not make the case for the SPFL giving automatic promotion to a team that comes 4th in a devalued league that only occupies the 5th tier due to a quirk.   

😂

48 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

You've got yourself in a bit of a mess here. It was the SFA who changed the licensing criteria and judged Bonnyrigg and other clubs on that new floodlight requirement a month before the SFA AGM rather than allowing them a derogation.

The SPFL changed their requirements in July 2023 to a Bronze licence for all current clubs to have by July 2024 (which they all did so) and the same requirement for prospective clubs from the HL/LL for the 2024/25 season, with the usual 31st March date for applying for waivers etc. 

Apologies for one missed memory in a very long post. I think calling it a "mess" is a bit far. SFA and SPFL appear to be of a mind on this anyway. You wonder what conversations happen in the corridors.

As for the SPFL and their Bronze licence requirement, we all know they were never expelling Edinburgh City and I'm not at all convinced they met the requirement anyway. Also, nobody has been able to get a licence for a long time because of the SFA shutting the door, and the SPFL knew that too.

27 minutes ago, Cannibal said:

This is Trumpian levels of delusion. 

47 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Any person claiming that the 16 clubs in the Lowland League represent the best 16 in the area is quite simply trolling.

Indeed. If it did, Clyde would probably be in it.

34 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Our Clyde pal doesn't quite grasp that.

While there's not a lot of movement between Tier 5 & 6. The WoSFL and EoSFL have had the time balance out and start the new season with the "best 16" in their Premier Divisions. Doubt you would find a consensus what the best 16 is from those 32 and the LL16. 

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

This is Trumpian levels of delusion. 

Which part is wrong never mind Trumpian or deluded?

B teams devalue the league.

The rules allow a team with the 4th highest points total to be called 'Champions'.

Several teams occupy spots in the league for historical reasons and/or the timing of the West juniors joining the pyramid, and will be far lower 'ranked' in due course.

Unarguable facts I am afraid

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

While there's not a lot of movement between Tier 5 & 6. The WoSFL and EoSFL have had the time balance out and start the new season with the "best 16" in their Premier Divisions. Doubt you would find a consensus what the best 16 is from those 32 and the LL16. 

Also what's "best"?  I'm not sure Braves, Broomhill, Uni of Stirling, Drumchapel, Gartcairn, St.Cadocs, Tynecastle and Hutchie Vale would feature heavily,  it's a different kind of "best" that's wanted, as yet undefined.

4 hours ago, Josuke Higashikata said:

Had any West juniors joined the LL and for whatever reason the LL failed, those clubs would have had to restart in the West at the very bottom. There was more than enough reason for clubs not to move, without admonishing the former West junior association of blame. Clydebank - who made no secret of their wish to join senior football - chose not to move. That's a bit different to starting from scratch i.e., EK and CC!

Suppose your post is a step up from the tired "devil's illuminations" posts though. Felt I had to make a point.

and if the LL failed Spartans, Edinburgh City, Whitehill and the rest would likely have started at the bottom of the East of Scotland League (which had two divisions). 

The Devil's Illumination posts had a grain of truth about them. It was a rare thing in the East Juniors to have a league fixture under lights whereas Preston Athletic, Edinburgh City, Gala Fairydean, Hawick Royal Albert and Lothian Thistle regularly played East of Scotland League games under lights. I once saw Annan Athletic (90 miles from Edinburgh up the not so great A702) play a midweek game against Lothian Thistle under lights at Saughton Enclosure in the days you couldn't get teams to go a mere 26 miles to Dunbar (along the duelled A1)

1 minute ago, Cannibal said:

Which part is wrong never mind Trumpian or deluded?

B teams devalue the league.

The rules allow a team with the 4th highest points total to be called 'Champions'.

Unarguable facts I am afraid

There's only 2 B teams Einstein.

13 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Apologies for one missed memory in a very long post. I think calling it a "mess" is a bit far. SFA and SPFL appear to be of a mind on this anyway. You wonder what conversations happen in the corridors.

As for the SPFL and their Bronze licence requirement, we all know they were never expelling Edinburgh City and I'm not at all convinced they met the requirement anyway. Also, nobody has been able to get a licence for a long time because of the SFA shutting the door, and the SPFL knew that too.

Try telling the City Board who had to put a f*ck of a lot of effort into getting a licence that one to their faces.

11 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Also what's "best"?  I'm not sure Braves, Broomhill, Uni of Stirling, Drumchapel, Gartcairn, St.Cadocs, Tynecastle and Hutchie Vale would feature heavily,  it's a different kind of "best" that's wanted, as yet undefined.

Yip, plenty of clubs would be bypassed. While a few Tier 7 clubs like Irvine Meadow would get mentioned based on their history.

11 minutes ago, Cannibal said:

I'm referring to the rules of your league which allow up to 3 Guest Clubs.  Thanks though

There is no rule stipulating how many guest teams can be admitted.

Can I ask one simple question. Should any team, in any country, any universe, in any sport, having become drop dead last over an entire season,  be given the dog's chance of not being relegated. Sport is offended .

Sorry, any answer that is not 100% " no chance" is beyond any level of understanding or reason. 

18 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Try telling the City Board who had to put a f*ck of a lot of effort into getting a licence that one to their faces.

Of course I would tell them it to their faces, it in no way detracts from the work they put in.

While you're here, can I ask how they reached 500 covered seats?

11 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Yip, plenty of clubs would be bypassed. While a few Tier 7 clubs like Irvine Meadow would get mentioned based on their history.

Starting to look like the European Super League. They nearly got 2 Champions League places for "historic" clubs that missed qualification in this round of changes, I'm sure it'll come back.

Broomhil should be expelled from the Lowland League and their place offered to Beith, even though Beith aren't licensed and they gubbed them in the Scottish Cup, because "bigness". And doesn't tier 5 need a strong Gartcairn? 

1 minute ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Remember folks........you will never win an argument with an idiot.

The End . (hopefully)

I was about to agree with that and then I thought, hang on, what if I'm the idiot 😟