Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Life hack.

If your wife isn't happy about you seeing other women, simply explain to her that these are "guest" wives and are removed from consideration at the end of every week.

I would happily volunteer to put this to the test, other than the undeniable truth that my erstwhile fellow life traveller of 30 odd years, would without any doubt or hesitation put me into a hospital bed for an indeterminate length of time.

I would quote what Wesley Snipes said about his wife in White Men Can't Jump but that would probably result in a cancellation from p&b.

20 hours ago, Cannibal said:

Excuse my loose language. 

The LL thinks it is valid to call a team that doesn't win the league 'champions' in order to be put into a playoff.  This is the meritocracy we need.

If heaven forbid one of the B teams finishes top, the team who finishes next is deemed the team to take part in the LL/HL play off.

16 hours ago, GordonS said:

Of course I would tell them it to their faces, it in no way detracts from the work they put in.

While you're here, can I ask how they reached 500 covered seats?

bog.jpg.e9c712bf5547f74e38ef77b95fd5d457.jpg

It's a seat and it's covered. 

23 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

I would happily volunteer to put this to the test, other than the undeniable truth that my erstwhile fellow life traveller of 30 odd years, would without any doubt or hesitation put me into a hospital bed for an indeterminate length of time.

Aye, but if the fancy piece was paying your better half fifty grand a year for the dubious privilege ?

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Cowdenbeath when putting their statement on B teams for this season mentioned it.

In one of the podcast appearances in the past that the LL Chair did. One of the questions asked was along the lines of "why not use the B team spaces for proper clubs" and the response was that the SFA wouldn't allow them to expand beyond 16. They were only allowed a special dispensation to go to 17 due to COVID and had to get back to 16.

Unless you're involved with a club or the SFA. I'm not sure what evidence you would expect to have access to other than interviews and statements.

I'm not sure Thomas Brown is the most reliable of voices given he was an active proponent of B-teams in the Lowland League and promulgated the SFA myth that clubs would have no say in the establishment of the conference league.

Edited by welshbairn

49 minutes ago, kevsmart said:

If heaven forbid one of the B teams finishes top, the team who finishes next is deemed the team to take part in the LL/HL play off.

Indeed. Or in fact if B teams finish in 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. then whoever finishes next would go to a playoff. Simply not a competition to be taken seriously never mind be awarded with an automatic promotion to the SPFL. 

And they'd let more teams in if it wasn't for the SFA, honest guv

30 minutes ago, Black Pennel said:

Aye, but if the fancy piece was paying your better half fifty grand a year for the dubious privilege ?

Ah, fair point, knowing my beloved as I do, the offer would only be accepted if she could watch and snacks provided. Good snacks none of that cheap stuff mind. 

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Cowdenbeath when putting their statement on B teams for this season mentioned it.

In one of the podcast appearances in the past that the LL Chair did. One of the questions asked was along the lines of "why not use the B team spaces for proper clubs" and the response was that the SFA wouldn't allow them to expand beyond 16. They were only allowed a special dispensation to go to 17 due to COVID and had to get back to 16.

Unless you're involved with a club or the SFA. I'm not sure what evidence you would expect to have access to other than interviews and statements.

That's correct.  I believe the LL have asked on two occasions re expansion to 18 teams and both times have been told that wouldn't be approved.  You can speculate as to the reasons but the consensus appears to be that increasing non-SPFL voting members of the SFA is not welcome, and that ties up with suggestions that they would like to see the HL reduced to 16 clubs.

The fact is, having the B teams mean £100k to the league and two extra home games for every club.  If the LL were to remove them they'd like to at least negate the loss of these 2 games.

10 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

That's correct.  I believe the LL have asked on two occasions re expansion to 18 teams and both times have been told that wouldn't be approved.  You can speculate as to the reasons but the consensus appears to be that increasing non-SPFL voting members of the SFA is not welcome, and that ties up with suggestions that they would like to see the HL reduced to 16 clubs.

The fact is, having the B teams mean £100k to the league and two extra home games for every club.  If the LL were to remove them they'd like to at least negate the loss of these 2 games.

I assume the LL could take expansion of their league to an SFA AGM if refused, or some other appeal where the SFA would have to justify their decision? I think they would find it very difficult given their willingness to accept additional B-teams and the precedent of the HL The reason seems transparent to me, a mechanism to force access for 2 B-teams in particular.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I assume the LL could take expansion of their league to an SFA AGM if refused, or some other appeal where the SFA would have to justify their decision? I think they would find it very difficult given their willingness to accept additional B-teams and the precedent of the HL.

I wouldn't know, I doubt it's a matter for the SFA AGM.

14 hours ago, GordonS said:

As for the SPFL and their Bronze licence requirement, we all know they were never expelling Edinburgh City and I'm not at all convinced they met the requirement anyway. Also, nobody has been able to get a licence for a long time because of the SFA shutting the door, and the SPFL knew that too.

Well expelling Edinburgh City wasn't the only option available to the board, but irrelevant now as the SFA licensing department say they are Bronze.

I don't think there was any club in a position to meet the entry criteria in the past year which has been deprived of a licence due to applications not being open, Beith for example don't yet have their floodlights in place. Not sure what relevance this has to the SPFL as unlicensed clubs are two tiers away from them.

14 hours ago, ekok said:

Can I ask one simple question. Should any team, in any country, any universe, in any sport, having become drop dead last over an entire season,  be given the dog's chance of not being relegated. Sport is offended .

Sorry, any answer that is not 100% " no chance" is beyond any level of understanding or reason. 

Glad to see you think that the LL's rules should be changed to remove the possibility of the bottom club avoiding relegation.

2 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

I would quote what Wesley Snipes said about his wife in White Men Can't Jump but that would probably result in a cancellation from p&b.

I'd suggest not telling her about the under 21 age restriction.

There is absolutely no reason why the lowland league shouldn’t be allowed to expand to 18 proper teams (and fire the b-teams into the sun).

Whoever at the SFA has apparently blocked this needs to give a clear rationale as to why. The highland league having 18 teams when (a) they struggle to get games played and (b) they have a much smaller pyramid of clubs below them; makes a complete mockery of any argument.

You’ve also got Cowdenbeath justifying their b-team sympathising as down to a desperate need for more gate money from the extra 2 home games. The obvious solution is expand the league to 18 teams, it’s a certainty the likes of talbot or Clydebank would bring more fans than a b-team anyway.

The only possible reason I can see for capping the league at 16 is to leave space for ‘guest clubs’. 

22 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

There is absolutely no reason why the lowland league shouldn’t be allowed to expand to 18 proper teams (and fire the b-teams into the sun).

Whoever at the SFA has apparently blocked this needs to give a clear rationale as to why. The highland league having 18 teams when (a) they struggle to get games played and (b) they have a much smaller pyramid of clubs below them; makes a complete mockery of any argument.

You’ve also got Cowdenbeath justifying their b-team sympathising as down to a desperate need for more gate money from the extra 2 home games. The obvious solution is expand the league to 18 teams, it’s a certainty the likes of talbot or Clydebank would bring more fans than a b-team anyway.

The only possible reason I can see for capping the league at 16 is to leave space for ‘guest clubs’. 

Nothing apparent about 18 teams getting blocked. It’s actual and factual. 

20 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Of course it is, 2 in particular.

Just now, onecowden said:

Is there an SFA statement or is it just a third hand word of mouth thing?

14 minutes ago, onecowden said:

Then challenge it! As a club so financially impacted they had to resort to voting for b-teams in desperation surely Cowdenbeath should be at the forefront of challenging this.

Edited by Clyde01

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

If it was the only possible reason, then why does the cap on 16 date back to the inception of the Lowland League?

Edited by FairWeatherFan