Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

On 07/10/2024 at 17:36, Deanburn Dave said:

It mainly concerns the "trust trophy" debacle where ex SPFL clubs were invited to participate as "guests" ahead of licenced clubs who had finished above them in the LL.

They also have issues with the make up of the SPFL board and a perceived lack of representation for clubs lower down the pyramid.

As much as I agree with these arguments

It's an SPFL competition, they can invite who they want

By clubs down they pyramid do you mean league 1/2, the lowland league isn't part of the SPFL so effectively has no say.

2 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

By clubs down they pyramid do you mean league 1/2, the lowland league isn't part of the SPFL so effectively has no say.

In previous years it appears to have been based on sporting merit. 

2 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

FWIW the Lowland League can have a say if they want. They could have a rule that no member club can accept an invitation to an SPFL or SFA competition if a member club that finished higher than them in the previous season's league table was not also invited, without the permission of the board. They could have a points sanction for breaching the rule.

Each club also has a say. They don't have to participate in cheating.

It's absolutely wrong that the club that finished 14th in the league should accept an invitation into a competition that carries some significant rewards at this level, on the basis of their league position from 7 years ago. On budgets this same, that income could save a club from relegation and condemn another club to it instead.

You know it's wrong, I know it's wrong, everyone knows it's wrong, but some people make up stories to justify it to themselves because it suits them.

20 hours ago, GordonS said:

FWIW the Lowland League can have a say if they want. They could have a rule that no member club can accept an invitation to an SPFL or SFA competition if a member club that finished higher than them in the previous season's league table was not also invited, without the permission of the board. They could have a points sanction for breaching the rule.

So will anyone table that suggestion to an AGM or whatever?

3 hours ago, rockson said:

So will anyone table that suggestion to an AGM or whatever?

Maybe I'll email our secretary, see if they would consider taking it up. Given the good guy:wanks ratio in the Lowland League, as seen in the B team votes, I doubt it would be successful. 

Totally agree, SPFL trophy invites should be based on final league positions. 

Similar for the league cup, which already happens. 

It would certainly make the league more competitive. 

By the way, this could be a great league in next 2-3 years. We are already seeing how competitive it’s been after losing some of the lesser teams (no disrespect) and gaining your better teams from T6. 

Just need rid of the B teams, and promotion for a few west clubs. 

In my opinion, this would then have potential to be one of the best leagues! 

1 hour ago, Connor7 said:

Totally agree, SPFL trophy invites should be based on final league positions. 

Similar for the league cup, which already happens. 

It would certainly make the league more competitive. 

By the way, this could be a great league in next 2-3 years. We are already seeing how competitive it’s been after losing some of the lesser teams (no disrespect) and gaining your better teams from T6. 

Just need rid of the B teams, and promotion for a few west clubs. 

In my opinion, this would then have potential to be one of the best leagues! 

Would also be *extra* good if winning the league actually got you up to the next one.

1 hour ago, Omnishambles said:

Would also be *extra* good if winning the league actually got you up to the next one.

Yes agreed, but I still agree that it should be a play off between HL v LL to decide who goes up. No second chance for the bottom club in league two 

Taking a longer term view over the whole existence of the Pyramid,  say 10 years over previous 100 pre Pyramid years, it has been a resounding success. 

Before , absolute stasis,  unless a Club folded,  simply a shuffling of the deck, with no consequence of becoming bang last. No matter how  many times. Embarrassing. 

Fast forward, you all know the Clubs involved, some much needed ventilation, both ways in and out of SPFL. 

Yes would be great to have even more ventilation  and B teams remain a divisive issue. Given how recently the " Juniors " came to the party , given actually how many have moved up, perhaps a bit more patience might be in order. The process will deliver as it has up to now. The best at Tier 6 wil prosper.

All of that said, the one glaring injustice that  remains is the nonsense of the Team 42 Play-Off. If there is any  even comparable " reward failure/ dogs chance" anywhere else in sport,  would be happy to hear about.

Within any serious system of merit,  being bang last of 42 teams,after a full season of games , surely must mean relegation.  Is that not what a Pyramid means? Embarrassing. 

My own Club have failed on 3 occasions  to take the chance provided by the Playoffs.  My opinion would be exactly the same if we had.