Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

49 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

They are taking places because they got in while everyone else dithered and thought the Juniors were better! Hardly their fault other clubs were too stupid to believe the SJFA

Caledonian Braves were rejected by the Lowland League in 2015, when they were Edusport Academy. They were promoted from the SOS in 2017.

The Juniors were better than the Lowland League until the bulk of clubs moved to the pyramid en masse. I don't know what the offer was to the Juniors back in 2013 though.

1 hour ago, To B or not B said:

They are taking places because they got in while everyone else dithered and thought the Juniors were better! Hardly their fault other clubs were too stupid to believe the SJFA

It doesn’t really matter how they got there in the first place. They don’t belong at this level of football, they contribute nothing to the league and are privately funded well above their station whilst proper clubs like Clydebank (to give one example) are stuck in lower tiers.

Perhaps a separate league could be set up (outside of the proper pyramid) for vanity projects, b-teams, boys clubs and universities and leave the pyramid system to proper clubs. 

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Caledonian Braves were rejected by the Lowland League in 2015, when they were Edusport Academy. They were promoted from the SOS in 2017.

The Juniors were better than the Lowland League until the bulk of clubs moved to the pyramid en masse. I don't know what the offer was to the Juniors back in 2013 though.

Exactly they got promoted through playing their way up into the LL which is what the pyramid was set up for.

It was genius of them to take advantage. No rules as far as I'm aware were broken.

There are many non league caged grounds, are Braves any different to the ones that are popping up in places? 

And the Juniors debate has been done on multiple threads on here,folk should look forward now not back. 

The system isn't going to change anytime soon whether we (and I express we as there's most definitely room for improvement) like it or not. 

3 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

At least we are a historic club with an established fan base currently scrambling for relevance.

My point wasn’t about playing at different stadiums per se. More that popping a club into existence with no fans, no community, no proper facilities and questionable (at best) motives and purpose isn’t really benefiting anyone.

Did Clyde have fans before they existed? 

16 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

It doesn’t really matter how they got there in the first place. They don’t belong at this level of football, they contribute nothing to the league and are privately funded well above their station whilst proper clubs like Clydebank (to give one example) are stuck in lower tiers.

Perhaps a separate league could be set up (outside of the proper pyramid) for vanity projects, b-teams, boys clubs and universities and leave the pyramid system to proper clubs. 

They clearly do belong or they would have been relegated long before now. That may still come sooner rather than later, but the fact remains they remain in the league on merit.

1 hour ago, Cowdenleith said:

One of my gripes is that there are a good bunch of teams who take a fair amount of fans to each and every away game, generating income for the home team.

The likes of Braves, Broomhill (and also UOS and Strollers) have literally no fans, therefore they are not reciprocating when they visit your place. When we were at Strollers early in the season, we must have made up 60/70% of the crowd, though that is a fairly close away match so easy enough to get to.

Criticising teams for not having crowds in the LL. :lol:

It wasn't long ago you were playing at higher levels, were you box office to other clubs? 

I doubt it. 

34 minutes ago, GordonS said:

They had the chance to apply for the LL, and then again in 2014.

i am sure someone like @FairWeatherFan would know better than me.

Edited by To B or not B

1 hour ago, Cowdenleith said:

One of my gripes is that there are a good bunch of teams who take a fair amount of fans to each and every away game, generating income for the home team.

The likes of Braves, Broomhill (and also UOS and Strollers) have literally no fans, therefore they are not reciprocating when they visit your place. When we were at Strollers early in the season, we must have made up 60/70% of the crowd, though that is a fairly close away match so easy enough to get to.

This is a the case in probably every league in the world though. County, for example, take probably the smallest away crowds to every game in the Prem and use away gate receipts as one of our biggest income streams. I think that’s just part and parcel of different statures of clubs.

3 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

They had the chance to apply for the LL, and then again in 2014.

i am sure someone like @FairWeatherFan would know better than me.

The SJFA were involved like everyone else coming out of the 2011 SFA AGM. Probably thought "Nothing to see here". Plenty of SPL2 ideas had been floated and never went anywhere. When a pyramid started to look like a reality in 2013-14 after Rangers went bust, the SJFA had something to worry about and the dithering started.

They wouldn't join as a body until 2014-15 at the earliest. Individual clubs had the opportunity to sign up for the Lowland League like everyone else. Anyone licensed guaranteed a spot. While some had some notes of interest we all know how that panned out.

Its the great "What If" in non-league football. The SJFA could have ran the pyramid if they wanted (half of the LL membership(?), two strongest feeders to the LL, only real feeder to the HL) but both as an organisation and vast majority of clubs were happy enough with what they had.

Even then, in the early days they still tried to push the Lowland Superleague at Tier 5 instead of accepting the West and East Regions at Tier 6.

16 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

They clearly do belong or they would have been relegated long before now. That may still come sooner rather than later, but the fact remains they remain in the league on merit.

Try reading again, in particular the bit about being funded unsustainably above their station by individuals.

A model based on charging French students to play a game of football that has developed into conning gullible yanks doesn’t belong in a professional league system.

As for Broomhill, here’s hoping they go down this season never to be seen again.

32 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Did Clyde have fans before they existed? 

Yes, because we are massive 😉.

I’m not sure many people are just hanging around waiting for a football club to appear at their local 5’s pitch as a front for one guy to play real life football manager but maybe I’m wrong.

4 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Try reading again, in particular the bit about being funded unsustainably above their station by individuals.

A model based on charging French students to play a game of football that has developed into conning gullible yanks doesn’t belong in a professional league system.

As for Broomhill, here’s hoping they go down this season never to be seen again.

Are you trying to say clubs at a low level are sustainable through gate money?? If it wasn’t for people like Alan Maitland Clyde would be in the Sh1t. Most clubs at our level will usually have some individuals who will contribute on some basis.

26 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Criticising teams for not having crowds in the LL. :lol:

It wasn't long ago you were playing at higher levels, were you box office to other clubs? 

I doubt it. 

Settle doon, I gave a reason why I would prefer them to be elsewhere than the LL, that’s all.

After witnessing the state of the Berwick, then Cowdenbeath fans on this forum before and their delusions of grandeur, this league is just calling for Clyde now!

The Berwick fans have settled in now and the Albion fans have been sound since day 1, but nothing is funnier than reading some of the condescending shite from the fans of clubs who have been absolute jobbers for decades

7 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

Are you trying to say clubs at a low level are sustainable through gate money?? If it wasn’t for people like Alan Maitland Clyde would be in the Sh1t. Most clubs at our level will usually have some individuals who will contribute on some basis.

It is my understanding that largely because of Alan Maitland we are looking at a 5 figure budget deficit this season and as a result he stepped down as chairman.

You are trying to twist my words though, I have no problem with clubs having some individuals contributing. That’s perfectly normal.

I have a problem with clubs popping into existence with absolutely no other way of being close to sustainable other than an individuals money (or dodgy business plan of conning the stupid). Clubs with no fans that bring no away support, clubs that represent no community and only exist as an ego-trip to a few.

15 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Is nobody going to mention the irony of a fan of a club who have been nomadic for about 4 decades coming across all superior with respect to, any other sports club in any sport. 

Or is it just me.

It’s been mentioned already and was equally as irrelevant then. The issue isn’t particularly about facilities it’s about joke clubs that only exist at the whim of a couple of individuals and have no place in a proper football pyramid.

9 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Settle doon, I gave a reason why I would prefer them to be elsewhere than the LL, that’s all.

Me settle doon :lol:

And I only gave you my thoughts on it. Dinny go in the huff because I posted something you disagree with :lol:

Is that not what these discussions are about?

Anyway Weird fish has kinda backed up what I was explaining. ;)

27 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

The WoS Premier is filling up with Drumchapel Utd, St Cadoc's, Gartcairn. Who knows where a Finnart or Thorn Athletic will find themselves in a few years.

The LL can be emptied of all the usual suspects, but there's going to be disappointment with some of the replacements.