The Queen of the South thread

Well that's those three tough successive away games to the teams nearest us, safely negotiated.

Without a solitary point.

I hope we defeat Dumbarton on Saturday, though I bet Nade or Heffernan score...

Why exactly is it a surprise? He can't pick players based on the potential they may or may not possess but based on their performances in training and during matches. A seat in the stand is more than he deserves based on this season. He was better last season when he was a fat waster. Now he's just a waster.

I havent seen any training sessions and i suspect neither have you but if you are applying the same logic why are Hutton and Pickard seen as better midfield options based on their on field performances?

" He cant pick players based on potential" ...............is that not exactly what he is doing with Pickard because unless I have missed something he has not positively influenced many games that I have seen recently.

i wouldnt worry you will get your way - Millar will be offski and I suspect so will many of our better players.

These star players on the training pitch are certainly not reproducing it when it matters on match day!

Pickard hasn't done any less than the majority of our attacking players recently though. He's not been great, but who has? And has he been comfortably the worst player on the park every time he's featured? Not in my eyes, though some will disagree. He's been average, along with the majority. And tbh, I'd rather play an average 18 year old than an average late 20 something year old. At least there is still time for Pickard.

Guest Flash

Our away record against Alloa, Livingston and Dumbarton so far is excellent - 4 wins out of 4 - 12 points.

Our away record against the teams outside the bottom 3 is pretty grim - 0 wins, 1 draw, 9 defeats - so 1 point from 10 games.

It is actually the worst in the division - even Alloa have managed to get 4 points from their 12 games.

We still have to play Rangers and Hibs away to complete the set, so there is still hope of increasing the total.

Pickard hasn't done any less than the majority of our attacking players recently though. He's not been great, but who has? And has he been comfortably the worst player on the park every time he's featured? Not in my eyes, though some will disagree. He's been average, along with the majority. And tbh, I'd rather play an average 18 year old than an average late 20 something year old. At least there is still time for Pickard.

Oliver 2 in 3 and a bit games.

Pickard 0 in would hazard a guess at 5/6 full 90 minutes as a striker.

Another poster I think RJC said that if Oliver or any other striker had been given the game time Pickard had been awarded they would have produced more. It's hard to argue, Pickard has to be played in a forward two with a pacey striker playing off him but even then he doesn't hold the ball up or flick it on well enough to be a massive danger. You have to blame fowler for this as he just isn't a lone striker.

Everybody sees things differently but I dont think it is ringing endorsement to pick players " on the basis that they havent done any less than the majority of our attacking players".

I singled Oliver out because for me he has been harshly treated in terms of selection. Whatever else he may be - he is a footballer with flair, energy and no little skill. I would much rather give players with genuine ability the benefit of the doubt as opposed to going with journeymen who tend to fit a "plodding" profile. I have no doubt that the Manager has fallen out with Millar as there is no plausible reason why he should be left out time after time given what little we have in midfield. Again he is a player who fits the "ability" profile but he probably has an edge to him and needs to be cajoled along.

Millar is an easy target for some but he has got himself into decent shape and if you look at his career goal stats I am sure that he has a lot more to offer if managed progressively. This is all academic because If Fowler is retained Millar will be for the off but another Manager may well fancy him and I would prefer to retain him.

I don't know if I've been picked up wrong as by no means do I think Oliver should be benched in place of Pickard. I was actually comparing Pickard to Millar in my previous post.

I completely agree about Oliver. I actually ranted about it a couple of weeks ago when someone criticised the guy. Considering his lack of game time I found it pretty incredible that he was being so heavily criticised. Oliver should have been given a run up top as soon as he arrived. At no stage in this season have I felt our forwards were doing so well that they shouldn't be swapped. I would actually like to see Oliver and Hilson given a run of games together but I can't imagine we'll see that. I don't think Pickard's inclusion up front was the reason we were so poor going forward though even if he wasn't/isn't a great threat. But to try and be fair to him again, how many passes has he received from midfield giving him a good opportunity to score? Not many that I can recall. I've said it before, Pickard to me should be given a shot at holding midfield as I don't reckon he'll ever be a prolific striker, but the criticism the boy receives if way ott.

Guest Flash

Pickard has been preferred to Oliver up front in recent games due to his ability to defend and become an extra midfield player, in much the same way that Kidd was preferred to Oliver "up front" against Hibs earlier in the season.

Now that draws are nae use, Fowler has suddenly become more adventurous. It possibly hasn't worked out that well because it coincided with losing both full-backs and the defence is all over the shop meaning we are now losing even more stupid goals than usual.

I would expect to see Pickard back up front against Rangers and Hibs away and perhaps even against Falkirk at home.