The Queen of the South thread

In normal circumstances I would always favour the cups but I don't think its as easy this time round.

A fourth place finish or above now holds considerably more value and even at this early stage we are in good shape for building decent sized gaps over possible playoff rivals. Our squad is coping so far, but something will have to give eventually, and the big cup is still to come.

We also look favourites to be going through at least another round in the Challenge Cup, a competition that already provides us our best chance of glory before a ball is even kicked. At this stage you could argue that the League Cup is the lowest priority of the three currently entered.

That being said, reaching this stage of the League Cup is a rarity. Going one further would be basically unheard of and would create lifetime memories for every one of us.

How's about 4 points and a victory at Ibrox as a compromise?

I'm always a 'league first, cup second' kind of person. Though I don't really know where I stand here. A trip to Hampden is tantalising and by beating that mob en route would make it all the sweeter.

'Losing' the 6 points wouldn't be a massive blow at this stage of the season, but losing this momentum certainly would which makes getting at least 3 points from the next two games pretty important. Though if I'm being honest I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't get at least 4, considering how well we have been playing.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm always a 'league first, cup second' kind of person. Though I don't really know where I stand here. A trip to Hampden is tantalising and by beating that mob en route would make it all the sweeter.

'Losing' the 6 points wouldn't be a massive blow at this stage of the season, but losing this momentum certainly would which makes getting at least 3 points from the next two games pretty important. Though if I'm being honest I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't get at least 4, considering how well we have been playing.

The semis are in one of the Edinburgh grounds usually so for a day out it is probably better for a semi final.

The semis are in one of the Edinburgh grounds usually so for a day out it is probably better for a semi final.

Had no idea that was the case. I'd imagine we'd take just as big a following to Embra. In fact, the idea of a decent Queens following and a big crowd at Tynecastle makes the semi-final even more appealing to me.

An excellent stadium.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Had no idea that was the case. I'd imagine we'd take just as big a following to Embra. In fact, the idea of a decent Queens following and a big crowd at Tynecastle makes the semi-final even more appealing to me.

An excellent stadium.

Think it is always depending on the draw, if Celtic go through then we play them at Hampden but anyone else we'd be pretty likely to be in Edinburgh

31 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

They are not "usually" in an Edinburgh ground though they largely have been in the last couple of years. Depends who is in them. County played Celtic at Hampden last season but Hibs v St Johnstone was at Tynecastle. Hearts played at Easter Road the year before. Given both Edinburgh sides are out the chances of an Edinburgh semi are reduced but I guess if we were to play United or St Johnstone in a semi then Tynecastle may be a likely venue.

31 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They are not "usually" in an Edinburgh ground though they largely have been in the last couple of years. Depends who is in them. County played Celtic at Hampden last season but Hibs v St Johnstone was at Tynecastle. Hearts played at Easter Road the year before. Given both Edinburgh sides are out the chances of an Edinburgh semi are reduced but I guess if we were to play United or St Johnstone in a semi then Tynecastle may be a likely venue.

Is it just the classic Challenge Cup style 'Neutral Venue' with any game with a crowd  likely to be over 20000 at Hampden and the rest could conceivably be anywhere?

3 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Is it just the classic Challenge Cup style 'Neutral Venue' with any game with a crowd  likely to be over 20000 at Hampden and the rest could conceivably be anywhere?

I dont think a semi involving us would realistically be anywhere other than Hampden or Tynecastle.

Celtic would inevitably be at Hampden. I think United, St Johnstone, Alloa or probably Aberdeen would be at Tynecastle. I guess in the unlikely event of playing Morton then something like Firhill may be an option. 

Given we have got the small matter of Rangers to play yet though we are probably getting ahead of ourselves a bit!

Continuing to go under the national newspapers/reporters radar are Queens as usual very little press coverage despite superb start to the season by the club. Don't think the management or players will be to bothered mind, long may this great run last.

8 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Continuing to go under the national newspapers/reporters radar are Queens as usual very little press coverage despite superb start to the season by the club. Don't think the management or players will be to bothered mind, long may this great run last.

It's absolutely true though.

On the Radio the other night, they had a quick glance at the Championship and mentioned that Hibs were absolutely strolling it.  That was it.

Perhaps we became too used to the division getting some attention these last two seasons and it's just that normal service is being resumed now thanks to the departure of you know who.

There genuinely seems to be no recognition at all of what's happened at Palmerston though.  Nobody has apparently noticed that we've only dropped two points ourselves, and that only happened on the opening day away to one of the favourites.  There appears to be no knowledge of the fact that when we did play Hibs, we skelped them at Easter Road.  And nobody seems aware that we made the signing of the summer, acquiring a player way ahead of those that surround him in this league.

It's starting to piss me off, but it probably shouldn't.  It's maybe no bad thing.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

57 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

On the Radio the other night, they had a quick glance at the Championship and mentioned that Hibs were absolutely strolling it.  That was it.

Perhaps we became too used to the division getting some attention these last two seasons and it's just that normal service is being resumed now thanks to the departure of you know who.

There genuinely seems to be no recognition at all of what's happened at Palmerston though.  Nobody has apparently noticed that we've only dropped two points ourselves, and that only happened on the opening day away to one of the favourites.  There appears to no knowledge of the fact that when we did play Hibs, was skelped them.  And nobody seems aware that we made the signing of the summer, acquiring a player way ahead of those that surround him in this league.

It's starting to piss me off, but it probably shouldn't.  It's maybe no bad thing.

TBH I don't really care about media attention and keeping it low key can be a good thing. For what its worth I do hear us getting mentioned often on 'Off the ball'. Think Tan Man won player of the day for his 100th goal. Can't mind the song they played though : )

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There genuinely seems to be no recognition at all of what's happened at Palmerston though.  Nobody has apparently noticed that we've only dropped two points ourselves, and that only happened on the opening day away to one of the favourites.  There appears to no knowledge of the fact that when we did play Hibs, was skelped them.  And nobody seems aware that we made the signing of the summer, acquiring a player way ahead of those that surround him in this league.

It's because Dumfries is too out of the way for any of the journalists to be able/bothered going to which is similar to the Highland teams and how everyone is still shocked at them each year despite them being pretty good for about 5 years now. Plus mentioning us rubbering St Mirren means that they'd have to slag off their pal Alex Rae. Skelton so far hasn't been one for self promotion compared to the likes of Peter Houston, Rae and Gary Locke so I don't think he'll be too bothered unlike me or you who won't be happy until a full length dissertation on how class we are comes out. Though they can only ignore you for so long if you keep winning games.

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There genuinely seems to be no recognition at all of what's happened at Palmerston though.  Nobody has apparently noticed that we've only dropped two points ourselves, and that only happened on the opening day away to one of the favourites.  There appears to be no knowledge of the fact that when we did play Hibs, we skelped them at Easter Road.  And nobody seems aware that we made the signing of the summer, acquiring a player way ahead of those that surround him in this league.

Yes, I think it is very striking how much radio Scotland has reduced its coverage of the Championship this season.

Cup run for me, given our more than decent start in the league.