The Queen of the South thread

5 hours ago, RUSTY1111 said:

At the start of the previous season Queens were in 2nd place after the first game, then were in top spot after 2nd game, then back to 2nd after 3rd game. Then in 4th for the next 5 games, in 3rd for the next 8 games. Then in 4th & 5th place for the rest of the season.

47 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Don't think we were top the year hearts were in the league unless was maybe the very  early weeks on Gd. 

Hearts started like a train beating Rangers, Hibs and Falkirk early doors. We lost 4-2 at ibrox in August which I think was Jim Mcintyres last game before departing ? 

Like Rusty said we were top after week two on goal difference. Hearts beat Rangers and Hibs, both 2-1 while we had beaten Alloa 2-0 and Dumbarton 4-0. I was wrong about Dumbarton drawing with Hearts in the second game, that didn't happen to the 5th game or something.

We were top after our second and third games last season, but each time Rangers hadn't played yet.

We were top after 2 games the season before.

After the 2nd and 3rd set of fixtures were completed last season, Queens were in 2nd place. Also in first place after two games the season before last.

9 hours ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Bit of an urban myth that the Ibrox pitch is massive. Dimensions are 115 x 74 yards compared with Palmerston at 112 x 73 yards and Hampden 115 x 75 yards. 

I have to say that it maybe doesnt sound a lot but a pitch 3 yards longer and 1 yard wider makes quite a big difference especially when it is grass as opposed to astra. Ball will hold up much more on grass as well which is another factor to consider.

11 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

The Lyle and Dobbie partnership is absolutely thriving.  Breaking that up would be madness in my opinion.

Like 19QOS19 though, I'd be tempted to bring Dykes back in for Hilson.  I like him and he's a trier, but once again on Saturday I thought he looked a level below everyone else.  His performance was probably best summed up by a move in the first half where he took a delicious touch to spin by the full-back before then scuffing his cross.  I'm probably being a bit unfair as it's a new position for him.  Long term I think our lack of left midfielders could still come back to haunt us.  If we could somehow develop a left-footed clone of Grant Anderson we'd be laughing.  In the meantime I think Dykes is the best we've got.

Hilson can be a bit erratic but he was arguably our best player at Paisley and on Saturday despite not being at his best his pace caused Raith problems. As I said I dont think he will split up Lyle and Dobbie but for me if we are going to have a serious chance of upsetting the odds tomorrow we will need someone to try and play on shoulder of what is a pretty slow Rangers rearguard especially with Tavernier and Wallace bombing forward and leaving the centre backs exposed.We will be under a lot of pressure I would suspect and pace on the break will be vital. 

There is a lot of merit in sticking with the same line up given our exceptional results but sometimes it pays to look at the examination paper and see where we have the best chance of success. That said I dont think it would be an easy conversation with Derek Lyle.

Seen on twitter today St Johnstone's record when they play Zander Clark of 8 games played, 8 wins, For 18, Against  4 with one of goals conceded being a penalty.

Good to see Clark getting games ahead of Mannus.

Bit of an urban myth that the Ibrox pitch is massive. Dimensions are 115 x 74 yards compared with Palmerston at 112 x 73 yards and Hampden 115 x 75 yards. 

Have Rangers not adjudged the Ibrox pitch to be even narrower than this now?

I know it used to be one of the biggest in the UK, but I'm sure during the Souness reign it was reduced for a European game and was never reinstated to its previous size, and that was possibly due to punters who had executive boxes claiming they could now see the touchline.

Why I recall this I do not know, especially when I have trouble remembering what one had for breakfast

23 hours ago, KingfaetheSooth said:

Your measurements for Palmerston aren't correct. Presumably that's out of date info from somewhere. Current size of Palmerston is 114.7 x 71 yards. If your Ibrox dimensions are correct it is to all intents and purposes the same length but three yards wider.

2 hours ago, jakeyman said:

Does anyone know the team and scorers for Queens in last nights development league game?

the official website seems to have given up reporting on them this year.

The official website can only report what it is aware of. I wasn't there, neither was anyone else with access to the website and nobody has told me anything about the game yet. I don't know the team. However the SPFL website reports that we won 2-1 and I've sourced elsewhere that Connor Murray scored both our goals, one in each half. Mark Curragh with the Stranraer goal which was at the time an equaliser.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Your measurements for Palmerston aren't correct. Presumably that's out of date info from somewhere. Current size of Palmerston is 114.7 x 71 yards. If your Ibrox dimensions are correct it is to all intents and purposes the same length but three yards wider.

I took the Ibrox measurements from wiki and to be absolutely accurate the dimensions are quoted as 114.8 yards long by 74.3 yards wide. No idea if this is currently correct. Assuming it is, that means that the Ibrox pitch is 0.1 yards longer and 3.3 yards wider than Palmerston.

The main point is that there is a misconception that large capacity football grounds mostly have bigger pitch sizes. Wembley for example is 115 yards x 75 yards in order to comply with a UEFA category 4 stadium. If the pitch was enlarged, it wouldn't comply.

Manchester City has the biggest pitch in the English top flight at 116.5 yards x 78 yards while West Ham's old ground (Boleyn Ground) measured 110 yards x 70 yards. Perhaps more important is the size of the grassed 'run off' areas outwith the actual pitch as larger 'run offs' often means players don't slow down when chasing a pass or going into a tackle and also helps with long throw-ins. 

23 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The official website can only report what it is aware of. I wasn't there, neither was anyone else with access to the website and nobody has told me anything about the game yet. I don't know the team. However the SPFL website reports that we won 2-1 and I've sourced elsewhere that Connor Murray scored both our goals, one in each half. Mark Curragh with the Stranraer goal which was at the time an equaliser.

It did indeed end 2-1 and Murray scored both, one after 20 minutes when he hit a decent shot that appeared to go under the keeper. Stranraer levelled when the Queens keeper came running out of his box to clear his lines and mis -kicked allowing the forward to get in behind and knock the ball home.

The QOS winner was also from a defensive mistake, the Stranraer defender lost the ball about 30 yards out and Murray broke clear and finished well.

It was a hard fought game with not many chances.

Rugby Park in Kilmarnock was narrowed and shortened earlier this season, so perhaps that's what I was thinking about instead of Ibrox Park.

I do remember Souness narrowing and shortening the pitch for European matches.

Rugby Park in Kilmarnock was narrowed and shortened earlier this season, so perhaps that's what I was thinking about instead of Ibrox Park.

I do remember Souness narrowing and shortening the pitch for European matches.

Your right he did narrow the pitch for a game against Kiev I think they had two pretty good wingers, caused a bit of a stir if I remember !