The Queen of the South thread

Would Dobbie do a job as manager 
No idea is the correct answer. But I'd be all for him cutting his teeth with us next season in League 1. I'm not sure the football on display could be any worse than what we are witnessing just now. It would almost certainly guarantee a mass clear out of players as well because he'd know what the players (don't) bring to the pitch through playing with them.

If he chose not to then I would understand it as loyalty can be fickle in football. I couldn't see myself ever shouting at Dobbie but lets face it, if he did a terrible job the daggers would eventually be out.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

No idea is the correct answer. But I'd be all for him cutting his teeth with us next season in League 1. I'm not sure the football on display could be any worse than what we are witnessing just now. It would almost certainly guarantee a mass clear out of players as well because he'd know what the players (don't) bring to the pitch through playing with them.

If he chose not to then I would understand it as loyalty can be fickle in football. I couldn't see myself ever shouting at Dobbie but lets face it, if he did a terrible job the daggers would eventually be out.

Agreed. Who knows how he'd do.

If he did a terrible job I suspect he'd have the savvy to walk away.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

10 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:

Would Dobbie do a job as manager 

No idea but am sure he would get alot more respect from the players than AJ, and with him out with hamstring injury I  wouldnt be against him getting the job till the end of season, let him bring in an experienced No2 and sign his choice of player in January couldnt be any worse than what we have in charge at the momernt.... 

12 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

No idea but am sure he would get alot more respect from the players than AJ, and with him out with hamstring injury I  wouldnt be against him getting the job till the end of season, let him bring in an experienced No2 and sign his choice of player in January couldnt be any worse than what we have in charge at the momernt.... 

Gibson as number 2  No increase in the wages bill

10 minutes ago, baw heid said:

Gibson as number 2  No increase in the wages bill

Would you take on extra and important responsibilities at your work for the same salary? I would think there would be an increase in the wage bill,  probably not to the same extent as paying two additional full salaries,  but a increase nonetheless. 

By the way,  I wonder if our Chairman is on the phone to MacGregor at Ross County for tips on getting rid of Managers under contract?

Jeez cant believe so many want to waste so much of what we've got paying off Johnston. He had such a harder time as our club rightfully waited till as late as possible before doing their business. We have done things properly and at the end of the day we didn't gamble on our future as some clubs may have done. What we have is a group of a mix of talented young players and some who are just not good enough. It was always going to be difficult. People here are so impatient! I know our form is wretched but we have saw signs, including yesterday that we arent that far away, despite having such an inexperienced squad. There is no doubt we need to look at defensive options in january. Whilst the 500k payout is most welcome, in some ways its frustrating because the others who gambled WAY more than they should are getting bailed out, but we who lived within our means as everyone should have done are left in a more vulnerable postion in the league table due to our sensible approach. 

3 minutes ago, football maniac said:

Jeez cant believe so many want to waste so much of what we've got paying off Johnston. He had such a harder time as our club rightfully waited till as late as possible before doing their business. We have done things properly and at the end of the day we didn't gamble on our future as some clubs may have done. What we have is a group of a mix of talented young players and some who are just not good enough. It was always going to be difficult. People here are so impatient! I know our form is wretched but we have saw signs, including yesterday that we arent that far away, despite having such an inexperienced squad. There is no doubt we need to look at defensive options in january. Whilst the 500k payout is most welcome, in some ways its frustrating because the others who gambled WAY more than they should are getting bailed out, but we who lived within our means as everyone should have done are left in a more vulnerable postion in the league table due to our sensible approach. 

Sure his pay off won't be that much his contract ends in May.. Maybe you can explain why he only signed 3 defenders?? 🤦‍♂️ Time to put Dobbie & Gibson in charge until the end of the season... 

4 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Sure his pay off won't be that much his contract ends in May.. Maybe you can explain why he only signed 3 defenders?? 🤦‍♂️ Time to put Dobbie & Gibson in charge until the end of the season... 

For me the only option if we did decide to pay him off is to promote from within. Alot of faith would have to be shown on those 2. It might be the answer, but Im still in the camp of giving AJ abit more time to help develop the young players hes signed. Its a really tough gig combining playing with management.

13 minutes ago, football maniac said:

Tbf our support has been pretty patient up until now - we waited nearly a whole year for a win! We're now tired of the same shit every week.

Would you take on extra and important responsibilities at your work for the same salary? I would think there would be an increase in the wage bill,  probably not to the same extent as paying two additional full salaries,  but a increase nonetheless. 
By the way,  I wonder if our Chairman is on the phone to MacGregor at Ross County for tips on getting rid of Managers under contract?

Certainly the case in the working world and was my initial thought as well. But there's a good chance the players are on more than the manager. It'll be the case in higher leagues, I wouldn't know about our level.

For me the only option if we did decide to pay him off is to promote from within. Alot of faith would have to be shown on those 2. It might be the answer, but Im still in the camp of giving AJ abit more time to help develop the young players hes signed. Its a really tough gig combining playing with management.

As has been said, I think he's lucky we are a patient set of supporters/fans aren't allowed to attend. AJ's form would have seen him sacked at the majority of clubs in this division. I expect even if we could afford to sack him we would still hold off.

What signs have we witnessed to suggest we won't be finishing bottom? And in particular, yesterday? A tame Fitzpatrick shot and a good save from their goalkeeper before their second was all we could muster again a rank rotten Morton side.* It's hardly worth getting excited about. The only person to criticise our young players is our own manager when he stated they ran out of ideas! He's clearly incapable of motivating them and I'm finding myself less and less motivated to tune in to watch a completely gutless shitshow.

* Gibson came close with a FK but a FK isn't really cutting the opposition open.

1 hour ago, football maniac said:

Birthday Caird Pish GIF by hiugregg | Gfycat

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Unless his tip is to become a multi-multi-millionaire overnight Im not sure theres much point

1 hour ago, football maniac said:

AJ was still a registered player when he managed us first time around, albeit he rarely picked himself. 

I agree that given our finances promotion from within is the most sensible option.  Dobbie & Gibson will have a good idea of the relative individual strengths and weaknesses of our current squad and if there is a good time for a fresh approach to be taken it is before a transfer window when the new boss(es) have an immediate opportunity to sign the sort of player that he/they think would be a good fit.

Giving AJ more to develop players is not an option for me.  Some of our summer signings seem to be getting worse week in, week out under his guidance.  Letting him loose with the transfer kitty in January requires more faith than trusting a new untried manager with it.  As a result of his signing policy in September we found ourselves with a bench yesterday containing a goalkeeper and six midfielders and that is with a full squad to pick from.   We must have the most imbalanced squad in the country, and only one man is responsible for that.

I am not usually one to call for a managers head.  However we are now a 3rd of the way through the season, and we have seen little if any sign of improvement.  Johnston's approach seems to be to lay all the blame at the players door.   We now find our self bottom of the table with no immediate upturn in fortunes likely.

I get the argument that we can't afford to sack him, but on the other hand can we afford not to?  If there is to be a parting of the ways, we have to act soon in order to give the new man time to assess his options.  The Board need to act quickly or League 1 football beckons for next season.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

He may well be - thats why I added another "multi" ;)

I've no idea how much Billy is worth but its definitely not anywhere near as much as Roy MacGregor.

It’s easy enough to check. Just go to Companycheck.co.uk. He’s certainly in the multi-millionaire category.

15 hours ago, Frankie S said:

It’s easy enough to check. Just go to Companycheck.co.uk. He’s certainly in the multi-millionaire category.

Which would tell you what? The book worth of the companies they have shares in? Not sure that proves an awful lot and I'm absolutely certain that Companycheck.co.uk don't have access to their personal bank balances or have the first clue what personal liabilities and expenses they may have.

If life has taught me anything over the years it's that speculation about individual wealth is just exactly that, idle speculation with very little relevance to facts.

Edited by Skyline Drifter