The Queen of the South thread

Of course with the success of the turn round it makes AJ more of an attraction for other clubs who need a Manager. As many on here have said who would have thought that we would be where we are back in December when most, including me, would have been happy to see a change of management team. Clearly the fact that we sign a new team almost every year of late is a problem so hopefully some thought is being given to signing some of the squad for next season. Big Ayo, Shields and a few others must be top of the re-sign list. 
I doubt bigger clubs will be sniffing around AJ tbh given he flopped at Killie. Another good season (providing this one ends a success) with us then perhaps.

I thought Shields was signing a pre-contract with Killie btw? I'm guessing that was just a rumour. I expect he'll be off next season regardless, unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I doubt bigger clubs will be sniffing around AJ tbh given he flopped at Killie. Another good season (providing this one ends a success) with us then perhaps.

I thought Shields was signing a pre-contract with Killie btw? I'm guessing that was just a rumour. I expect he'll be off next season regardless, unfortunately.

He'll stay when we send them down in the playoffs 😉

I guess it all depends on your definition of “flopped”. In my opinion he made a bad decision going to Killie at that time. The club were close to bankruptcy, the then Chairman Michael Johnston was a despised figure in the eyes of the hard core support and fan demonstrations were a regular feature. Despite all this the supporters still expected success on the pitch. The reality was that AJ kept Killie in the Premier League playing pretty uninspiring football. He wasn’t a resounding success but avoiding relegation was probably a decent outcome.FWIW I don’t think he will be in demand by bigger clubs but when I think of a manager flopping I think of a Manager at say Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United and getting clubs of that size relegated. Now that is a flop- what AJ delivered at Rugby Park and EEP may not have matched the over inflated expectations of supporters but it was broadly in keeping with the Clubs’ profile at that time.

He is unlikely to be a target for Premier clubs but there was a widespread view on this forum that Johnston was somehow out of his depth in the Championship which was complete and utter nonsense. No matter where we finish this season AJ and SC have worked wonders to get us into the position we are in despite a shoestring budget and a recurring injury list that defies any normal probability.

I guess it all depends on your definition of “flopped”. In my opinion he made a bad decision going to Killie at that time. The club were close to bankruptcy, the then Chairman Michael Johnston was a despised figure in the eyes of the hard core support and fan demonstrations were a regular feature. Despite all this the supporters still expected success on the pitch. The reality was that AJ kept Killie in the Premier League playing pretty uninspiring football. He wasn’t a resounding success but avoiding relegation was probably a decent outcome.FWIW I don’t think he will be in demand by bigger clubs but when I think of a manager flopping I think of a Manager at say Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United and getting clubs of that size relegated. Now that is a flop- what AJ delivered at Rugby Park and EEP may not have matched the over inflated expectations of supporters but it was broadly in keeping with the Clubs’ profile at that time.

He is unlikely to be a target for Premier clubs but there was a widespread view on this forum that Johnston was somehow out of his depth in the Championship which was complete and utter nonsense. No matter where we finish this season AJ and SC have worked wonders to get us into the position we are in despite a shoestring budget and a recurring injury list that defies any normal probability.

Flopped as in, didn't do very well. I'm sure Killie fans will have a better idea. As for Dunfermline, he should have done far better with the budget at his disposal regardless of fan expectation.

If he keeps us up this season I still maintain it's a better achievement than him winning promotion with us the first time around and he'll receive the deserved praise for doing so.

AJ's recruitment although not perfect, starting from the square root of bugger all deserves praise given the likely budget constraints he would have been set. Adding the pacey Jones and Dapo and also Breen for the back line to allow big Ayo to move into midfield was an excellent piece of business in January and really changed the team's outlook. 

The renaissance of Gibson has been a wonderful bonus. 

If we hadn't lost Jones to injury I really think this side would have pushed the Fife teams for second place, despite their games in hand. 

As it is, even without the classy Jones we must be capable of giving the Dees a battle for fourth. 

At long last a time to feel positive - what could possibly go wrong now? 😏

The dark cloud on the horizon is of course the close season and the prospect of losing the bulk of the squad yet again. Its asking a lot of any manager at this level to pull rabbits out of the hat every close season and deliver a competitive squad each time. 

This lack of continuity really hacks me off these days - I get that it's a feature of the financial landscape a club the size of Queens has to inhabit but its so hard for fans to feel any real sustainable momentum can be achieved. C'est la vie. 

Flopped as in, didn't do very well. I'm sure Killie fans will have a better idea. As for Dunfermline, he should have done far better with the budget at his disposal regardless of fan expectation.

If he keeps us up this season I still maintain it's a better achievement than him winning promotion with us the first time around and he'll receive the deserved praise for doing so.

I am sorry for labouring the point but Dunfermline’s budget when AJ arrived at EEP was pretty modest. They were still recovering from Gavin Masterton’s disastrous period of ownership.which very nearly brought a complete liquidation.They had a bigger budget than us but certainly weren’t capable of signing the sort of quality required to challenge for a promotion.”Should be doing much better implies promotion or a near miss via Play Offs” ................that may be a realistic objective now with the Pars’ German investment but I don’t think it was under AJ.

5 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

AJ's recruitment although not perfect, starting from the square root of bugger all deserves praise given the likely budget constraints he would have been set. Adding the pacey Jones and Dapo and also Breen for the back line to allow big Ayo to move into midfield was an excellent piece of business in January and really changed the team's outlook. 

The renaissance of Gibson has been a wonderful bonus. 

If we hadn't lost Jones to injury I really think this side would have pushed the Fife teams for second place, despite their games in hand. 

As it is, even without the classy Jones we must be capable of giving the Dees a battle for fourth. 

At long last a time to feel positive - what could possibly go wrong now? 😏

AJ deserves a new contract with our budget he has done a great job never thought he had it in him but he had proved me wrong .Has made some great signings the majority I would try and keep for next season which will be very difficult..

Has really used the loan market very well building a great relationship with Rangers.

The signing of Jones what a player yet to see a better wide player in the Championship he is going to be a massive loss for us 

13 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

AJ deserves a new contract with our budget he has done a great job never thought he had it in him but he had proved me wrong .Has made some great signings the majority I would try and keep for next season which will be very difficult..

Has really used the loan market very well building a great relationship with Rangers.

The signing of Jones what a player yet to see a better wide player in the Championship he is going to be a massive loss for us 

Yep totally agree. I think in Jones we have somehow landed ourselves a special talent. I have loved Johnston's style of play for the most part since he has been here in both spells. His first spell his achievement was downplayed big time. We still had some decent teams to beat such as Ayr United and a Dick Campbell coached Forfar in the 3rd tier. Not many teams have won that league with the style we did under him, apart from his Dunfermline. His spell in the championship with The Pars was average. He arrived to us for his second spell and immediately saved the day from turning us from utter dross relegation fodder to a team that succesfully stayed up through the playoffs. He then imo started the next season pretty well. El Bakh, Dobbie and Hamilton was an exciting frontline, whilst we had a solid spine with McCrorie and Brownlie. Sdly we lost our 3 best players in January and from then till march it was dreadful. We started this season dreadfully too with a whole new squad and there was a feeling it was down to Aj rather than this young group of players finding their feet. We have done things totally different this season signing some of the best young players from Rangers, whilst looking down south for players. We now play with real pace and skill and are great to watch. So aside from a bad 3 months at the end of last season and a bad start this season Johnston has for me been a big success here. Under Naysmith I never once felt the hope Im feeling now.

1 hour ago, football maniac said:

Yep totally agree. I think in Jones we have somehow landed ourselves a special talent. I have loved Johnston's style of play for the most part since he has been here in both spells. His first spell his achievement was downplayed big time. We still had some decent teams to beat such as Ayr United and a Dick Campbell coached Forfar in the 3rd tier. Not many teams have won that league with the style we did under him, apart from his Dunfermline. His spell in the championship with The Pars was average. He arrived to us for his second spell and immediately saved the day from turning us from utter dross relegation fodder to a team that succesfully stayed up through the playoffs. He then imo started the next season pretty well. El Bakh, Dobbie and Hamilton was an exciting frontline, whilst we had a solid spine with McCrorie and Brownlie. Sdly we lost our 3 best players in January and from then till march it was dreadful. We started this season dreadfully too with a whole new squad and there was a feeling it was down to Aj rather than this young group of players finding their feet. We have done things totally different this season signing some of the best young players from Rangers, whilst looking down south for players. We now play with real pace and skill and are great to watch. So aside from a bad 3 months at the end of last season and a bad start this season Johnston has for me been a big success here. Under Naysmith I never once felt the hope Im feeling now.

Your post is spot on my worry is we will be back to square one again the summer all our best players will be off to bigger and better things.

If only we could up the wages really go for it next season try and really keep the likes of Ayo and Shields get the Rangers boys back on loan and somehow persuade Boro that Jones could do with another loan with us if only it was that easy don't think any of the above will happen .

You wanted him sacked ?

On 11/03/2020 at 08:57, Steeplechat said:

Has he gone yet ?

On 27/12/2020 at 10:17, Steeplechat said:

He doesn’t even deserve to be in charge on Tuesday night.

On 27/12/2020 at 10:11, Steeplechat said:

AJ has lost the dressing room and by Christ does it show.
Time for change and fast. Let the new guy come in and try change things around in January.

On 26/12/2020 at 20:53, Steeplechat said:

I think Queens can afford to sack him but for some bizarre reason they won’t.

Get him tae f@ck please .....

On 31/10/2020 at 20:57, Steeplechat said:

AJ OUT .......

19 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

You wanted him sacked ?

:lol: