The Queen of the South thread

Have you a plan B after Morton winning tonight at Inverness the league is very tight everyone seems to be picking up points Queens nowhere near safe  my worry is we will be without Jones and Dapo for the run in 2 key players especially Jones he will be a massive loss

If "a massive massive long shot" is a Plan A I'd hate to think what a Plan B is.

Dapo has went from being a sub to a key player. I like the boy but he’s nowhere near a key player. Jones is a different kettle of fish though, big one to lose but we’ve Fitzpatrick there who has plenty in his locker when he wants to show it. Now is the time. Dobbs also looked sharper Saturday which was encouraging. Then we’ve still McKee, Nortey and hopefully Pybus at some point.

To even be in contention for play offs is remarkable giving our start. And results keep going okay for us. We just need to keep plodding along and see where it takes us.

I think Dapo is a key player for us. He's been outstanding recently and will be a massive loss. Jones was brilliant again at the weekend but the game completely changed when Dapo came on. No one in the wings of the first team brings anything close to what he offers.

The side has done remarkably well recently and given the standard round about us 4th spot (shockingly) wouldn't be pie in the sky. But without both Jones and Dapo I expect we'll fall short and definitely be looking over our shoulders rather than up. Their pace and directness has been a big part of our recent success IMO.

Jones is a huge loss as is Mebude when the inevitable ban catches up with him. If Shields can stay fit that will be a positive. It would be good to get Nortey back (not sure what the problem is) as he gives us a strong physical presence in midfield and his power will be an advantage in the run in. I remain unconvinced about East but he has been a regular feature of our tremendous run so it is hard to argue too much against that. We really need Fitzpatrick to step up to the plate - he has looked good in spells but goes awol and we really can’t afford that in the coming period. As others have said Dobbie isn’t really suited to a counter attacking role. I don’t think he has scored a single League goal from open play this season (an incredible stat in its own right) so if he can stay fit you would have to think that he will start scoring at some point ......even off the bench. We also want to get Ayo in the opposition box as often as possible - what a finisher he is for a defender.

Even if we fall short this season, I feel Johnston has identified a highly effective way of playing and even if next season sees further wholesale changes it would be nice if we could sign these speed merchants in forward areas like we have this season to make for entertaining viewing. Its such a boost Shields being back, but such a shame Jones is out. 

6 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

The only positive is that we’ll definitely have Dapo for the next 2 games. Jones will learn the extent of his injury today, let’s pray it’s not as bad as first feared. 

Did not look good on Saturday will not be surprised if he is out for the season .

Have we used all our loans now no way we could get a replacement for Jones or Dapo

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

Did not look good on Saturday will not be surprised if he is out for the season .

Have we used all our loans now no way we could get a replacement for Jones or Dapo

You’re allowed 6 domestic loans at any one time. We have 4, so could bring 2 more in. But not from Rangers as the maximum from any one club in a different division is 4.
Jones and Fitzpatrick don’t count towards the total as they are with English clubs. 
Any signings would have to be made before the end of March.

Dobbs appeared on Kenny Crawford's podcast this week

Says during it he still feels he has another year in him, which surprised me tbh. I fully expected him to be retiring at the end of this season.
I did too. I'm hoping with Covid stopping fans attending that he'll stay for one more year. I'd be genuinely gutted if we don't get to give him a proper send off.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
52 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Says during it he still feels he has another year in him, which surprised me tbh. I fully expected him to be retiring at the end of this season.

I did too. I'm hoping with Covid stopping fans attending that he'll stay for one more year. I'd be genuinely gutted if we don't get to give him a proper send off.

I want him to get the proper send off he deserves as well.  

The question is though - do you keep one of your highest earning players on for sentimental reasons when he is no longer a  guaranteed starter? 

The question is though - do you keep one of your highest earning players on for sentimental reasons when he is no longer a  guaranteed starter? 
Fair point. On Saturday he looked sharp when he came on so he still has a lot to offer, even if it's further back in the field. It'll also depend if AJ sticks with this system or decides to change it next season depending on what players are available. Regardless, if Dobbie feels he has a season left and the club can afford to keep him I'd say it's a nobrainer to keep him.

Guest Flash
35 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

The other question is - how would you feel if he signed for another Championship team and was lining up against us?

16 minutes ago, Flash said:

The other question is - how would you feel if he signed for another Championship team and was lining up against us?

Depends if the wage saved on him was used to strengthen us.

Edited by Dougie Mills

Dobbie has been loyal to us and for this and his football ability it's a no brainer...sign him for another year. Okay he may not play every minute of every game but when he is on the pitch opposition players know he's the one to watch. And his influence with younger players is also a major plus point.

If Dobbs doesn’t sign for us next season I think Thistle are his most likely destination . McCall been sniffing around ever since he went back there.

14 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Sounds like he wants to wear the navy blue...