The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Is Euan East in defence today? Seems to be part of the defence drill...FB_IMG_1625925027440.jpg

Sure he spent some time at left back in one of the preseason games, so I'd think he'll be there. My guess

Rae

Gibson Nditi Cooper East

Paton Todd McGrory Joseph

Connelly RSJ

17 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Shouldn’t have lost that. We had plenty of chances and 1 silly mistake at the back has cost us. 

I liked the look of Ruben Junior but thought we were poor otherwise against a very ordinary team.

Hopefully still a bit more quality to come in over the next week or two.

Pretty meh stuff in all honesty.

Of the new signings Josh Rae looks capable and as ANBA says was very vocal.   Connelly was nippy and full of ideas at first but missed our best chance and drifted out of the game.  Aside from his mistake at the goal Nditi was pretty solid at the back,  Cooper looked way short of match fitness but did manage one peach of a cross.  Roy was the epitome of average.

Ruben was the stand out new player by some distance, a real pest for a back four to deal with, nice and physical with a surprisingly good touch for his size and stature.  My MOTM.

Paton was a disappointment.  He wasn't involved much and didn't really do anything that brought the forwards into play.

I thought Euan East was outstanding in an unfamiliar role, and McGrory could be a big player in his new deeper position.

Well that was poor.  

Really? A brand new side, striker playing centre half, left back thats never played with rest of side yet. Genuinely quite pleased with what I saw, take into account were probably going to another 6/7 who’ll mostly go into first team. There was definitely more positive than negatives.

Really don't care about the LC anymore as it's geared for the bigger sides to waltz through*. Glorified friendlies for us. What system did we go with today? I know we're short of numbers right now but does it look like we'll be going with the lone striker (with support) again this season?

* Aye the money would be beneficial.

Really don't care about the LC anymore as it's geared for the bigger sides to waltz through*. Glorified friendlies for us. What system did we go with today? I know we're short of numbers right now but does it look like we'll be going with the lone striker (with support) again this season?

Joseph played just of Ruben upfront, thought the role was crying out for more pace, something I think he lacks

Always unsure of using the term 'system' when describing something of AJ's...

But

Rae
Gibson Nditi East Cooper
Todd McGrory Connolly
Paton Joseph
Ruben

Thought we played fine. If we had been two or three up at half-time, it wouldn't have been daylight robbery.

We look pacey but, as others have said, slight. Some fitness issues, particularly with Cooper but also, I thought, Todd.

Thought it was mad that with Todd being good in air, we had him take corners, which were woeful.

Ruben looks business. Total grafter. Tried very very hard. Connolly looked a threat but passed up some good chances. As did Joseph. Jury out for me on him.

Nditi had a good game bar one misplaced headed clearance that they capitalised on. Don't remember them creating much.

Always unsure of using the term 'system' when describing something of AJ's...

But

Rae
Gibson Nditi East Cooper
Todd McGrory Connolly
Paton Joseph
Ruben

Thought we played fine. If we had been two or three up at half-time, it wouldn't have been daylight robbery.

We look pacey but, as others have said, slight. Some fitness issues, particularly with Cooper but also, I thought, Todd.

Thought it was mad that with Todd being good in air, we had him take corners, which were woeful.

Ruben looks business. Total grafter. Tried very very hard. Connolly looked a threat but passed up some good chances. As did Joseph. Jury out for me on him.

Nditi had a good game bar one misplaced headed clearance that they capitalised on. Don't remember them creating much.

Cooper was always going to need to time get up and running. Only in door yesterday and hasn’t taken part in any other games. Once he does I think he’ll do fine.

Agreed. Won't know the players either. Looked fine enough, just looked like he hadn't played much, which isn't a surprise. Never hid though and, as someone said, whipped in a few good balls.

Cooper was always going to need to time get up and running. Only in door yesterday and hasn’t taken part in any other games. Once he does I think he’ll do fine.

34 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Cooper's been here for about 3 or 4 weeks, albeit got injured early in pre-season and hadn't played any of the friendlies.

I thought we started:

------------------- Rae -----------------
Gibson --- Nditi --- East --- Cooper
---------------- McGrory --------------
----Paton ------------------ Connelly
--- Junior ----- Joseph ----- Todd

but the front five moved around a lot and swapped positions.

Euan East absolutely strolled it at the back to be fair to him.

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Cooper's been here for about 3 or 4 weeks, albeit got injured early in pre-season and hadn't played any of the friendlies.

I thought we started:

------------------- Rae -----------------
Gibson --- Nditi --- East --- Cooper
---------------- McGrory --------------
----Paton ------------------ Connelly
--- Junior ----- Joseph ----- Todd

but the front five moved around a lot and swapped positions.

Euan East absolutely strolled it at the back to be fair to him.

Quick question for you Skyline... do you think that Heston Rovers scrapping their South of Scotland League team will have any tangible impact on this season's budget through loss of groundshare revenue?