The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm assuming Mimnaugh is a CM? I'd be surprised if we bring any more in certainly if that's the case. 

Mimnaugh is a center mid however we played him at left back last season during the last couple games and he looked a disaster there. So if you want him to be a good signing play him in the midfield. I think Mimnaugh will be quite decent in league 1 though would of kept at accies

I think we're getting to the stage that all remaining signings could be crucial.  Bartley did say last season that the squad of around 28 was too big for his liking, and we have 21 signed up at the moment so I would guess that he may look at bringing in maybe four more players at most.

If that were to be the case I hope we recruit two central playing forwards, an experienced centre back and perhaps someone who can provide cover for either full/wing back.  It looks more and more like Bartley is looking at playing a 3-5-2 given the number of central midfielders we now have, and I don't think that either Gibson or McKechnie currently have the defensive nous to play as wing backs.  On the other side of that coin Church looked decent going forward against us last season, I'm not sure if Houston is a potential wing back or not though..

I think I am right in saying that only 3 of the 21 signees are over 25, so ideally a couple of older heads would be welcome.  

Edited by Slipmat

21 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

30th June is standard on an English contract. But yes, mostly still on holiday.

Yeah but I’m sure they also get paid an extra month after the contract officially ends. Generally see a lot more cross border deals after July.

2 hours ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Stephen Hendrie has rejoined Hamilton.

Oh well.

No great loss in my opinion.  I'm just surprised that he's doing a pre-season for a change.

I make it that of last season's squad that leaves Muir, Quitongo, McGrory, McMahon, Paton, Murray, McKenna & East who are currently unattached. 

Kabia and Logan are also free agents as far as I know, although Kabia is training with Cork City.  I'm surprised Logan hasn't got a gig yet.

McKenna was last sighted playing for his college team in that recent 7-a-side tourney where the US women's team embarrassed themselves against the Wrexham walking football seven amongst others, so maybe he's angling for a move back to the states. 

East as we know from experience takes an eternity before committing himself to a club.  I'd still take a punt on him given that he could cover centre and left back positions, but like many on here wouldn't be too bothered if he's looking elsewhere.

And nobody has snapped up Murray?  Well, there's a shocker.

53 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

No great loss in my opinion.  I'm just surprised that he's doing a pre-season for a change.

I make it that of last season's squad that leaves Muir, Quitongo, McGrory, McMahon, Paton, Murray, McKenna & East who are currently unattached. 

Kabia and Logan are also free agents as far as I know, although Kabia is training with Cork City.  I'm surprised Logan hasn't got a gig yet.

McKenna was last sighted playing for his college team in that recent 7-a-side tourney where the US women's team embarrassed themselves against the Wrexham walking football seven amongst others, so maybe he's angling for a move back to the states. 

East as we know from experience takes an eternity before committing himself to a club.  I'd still take a punt on him given that he could cover centre and left back positions, but like many on here wouldn't be too bothered if he's looking elsewhere.

And nobody has snapped up Murray?  Well, there's a shocker.

Would have taken Logan back but we've now signed a right back.

To an extent I've held my own counsel regarding our recruitment thus far.  Now though the squad appears to be taking shape.  I think it is fair to say that the signings thus far will hardly set pulses racing.  However I can see what MB is trying to do.  He obviously feels that he can improve the players he has signed, and we have to trust him in this at this time.

Recruitment last close season was done relatively quickly and in a scattergun manner.  MB by contrast has taken time and identified areas to try and improve and acted on that within the resources available to him.  Only time will tell how effective these signings will be.  I am confident however that we will see a considerable improvement from last season.

Logan would be a decent signing.  Ayr fans have suggested that Houston struggled with injuries last season and apart from him and Church our only other full-back is the untried Jay Burns.

We could always play a centre back at full back if necessary... that worked a treat last season.

McKennaCiaran.jpg?width=151&height=225&mode=crop

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

We could always play a centre back at full back if necessary... that worked a treat last season.

You're right but, unfortunately, it was as a wing back, which I think is even more difficult. The lad didn't stand a chance.

10 minutes ago, Riviera711 said:

You're right but, unfortunately, it was as a wing back, which I think is even more difficult. The lad didn't stand a chance.

He had played right back the previous season to little success by reports. By time we even considered him at centre half his confidence was shot. Genuinely felt for him last year as you could see he wasn’t comfortable out right

I’m hoping Marv is saving up his left field match winning signings until the end as it’s looking very much like the usual bargain bin shopping we’ve become accustomed to so far. 

Edited by Dougie Mills

8 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

I’m hoping Marv is saving up his left field match winning signings until the end as it looking very much like the usual bargain bin shopping we’ve become accustomed to so far. 

Yep, we’re competing against teams like East Kilbride for signings. 

10 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

What’s the craic with Ruari Paton? A few rumours our way that he’s joining us but I can also see Carlisle rumours. He still under contract?

Not under contract just a development fee. I doubt it's breaking the bank type money though. Probably has a few offers on the table and is weighing up his options. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not under contract just a development fee. I doubt it's breaking the bank type money though. Probably has a few offers on the table and is weighing up his options. 

The Record seems to think we're signing him now.

Assuming based on that goal scoring record he was a big player for you last season.

Is he ready to make the step up?