The Queen of the South thread

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye the announcer is going to get on my tits as the season goes on I feel. A bit too cheesy for my liking. We don't need updated on the current score after a goal is scored. 

He'd be brilliant at an American event but this is lower league Scottish fitba. Read the HT scores correctly, get rid of the shitty goal music and only speak when you really need to. 

Must admit I was wanting someone with a bit more "personality" rather than someone just doing the basics like the previous announcer had got into the habit of doing, but there are some things that this new guy does which can be irritating. As has been said by others, giving out the score after every goal, the way he read out the half-time scores instead of just reading them out normally, wee things like that. He also read out the teams about 15 minutes before kick off but could/should have read them out again just before kick off. Don't want to slag the guy off too much, constructive criticism hopefully, at least he brings a bit of enthusiasm. As for the 'cheesy' playlist, give me more of that anytime. 

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Commented on this at the game. Not in agreement I have to say, more that I expect the fans to get on the backs of the players when we're behind during the season. I never heard any "Get the baw up the park" tonight, but it'll come. For me I'm pleased that we have players confident to take the ball in those positions. It's heart in mouth for fans but at least we have possession. Kick the ball up the park from goal kicks and we're going to lose possession 99% of the time. 

I'm hoping we'll find it easier against weaker opposition, but I didn't think it was particularly wise to persevere with it tonight.  We nearly did get into real trouble a couple of times. 

It's good to be able to play that way, but insisting on putting ourselves under repeated, unnecessary pressure all the time might cost us.  I thought we did vary it a bit later in the game anyway.

14 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

I mean we only surrendered possession 5/6 times in our own half in the first half by playing each other in to trouble with the playing out from the back. There’s a time and a place for it and it wasn’t working for a long spell tonight. All for playing football or at least attempting it but when it’s causing you lots of problems you just have to ditch it. 

We lost possession more often when Botterill went long. A combination of us having absolutely no height up front and his poor kicking. We never got into any real trouble tonight playing it out from the back, more slack passes. 

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm hoping we'll find it easier against weaker opposition, but I didn't think it was particularly wise to persevere with it tonight.  We nearly did get into real trouble a couple of times. 

It's good to be able to play that way, but insisting on putting ourselves under repeated, unnecessary pressure all the time might cost us.  I thought we did vary it a bit later in the game anyway.

They'll only find it easier if they continue to try it. I'm glad they had the balls to persist with it tonight and this is the way football is going now. Thankfully the days of just hoofing it up the park are nearing an end. 

For me it's better to least attempt and build from the back compared to almost definitely losing possession by thumping it up the park. 

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We lost possession more often when Botterill went long. A combination of us having absolutely no height up front and his poor kicking. We never got into any real trouble tonight playing it out from the back, more slack passes. 

They'll only find it easier if they continue to try it. I'm glad they had the balls to persist with it tonight and this is the way football is going now. Thankfully the days of just hoofing it up the park are nearing an end. 

For me it's better to least attempt and build from the back compared to almost definitely losing possession by thumping it up the park. 

Bang on the money. 

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'd rather not lose possession near our own goal.

It's not a strict case of either/or.   It was causing us difficulty at times tonight though.  It's difficult to do well and it has high stakes.  

I don't want to see us trapped into doing a certain thing every time regardless.

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd rather not lose possession near our own goal.

It's not a strict case of either/or.   It was causing us difficulty at times tonight though.  It's difficult to do well and it has high stakes.  

I don't want to see us trapped into doing a certain thing every time regardless.

I'd argue it is either/or. We don't have a target man so we're almost definitely going to lose the ball going long. The more they continue to do the passing out from the back the better they'll become/the more confident they'll get. 

Going long though we'll lose the ball a high 90% every single game. 5ft attackers are never going to regularly outjump 6ft defenders. 

It may have given us difficulties tonight (I don't agree it did) but at no point did we look like conceding from it. As I say, we got into more danger when Botterill tried to go long. 

Edited by 19QOS19

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Going long though we'll lose the ball a high 90% every single game. 5ft attackers are never going to regularly outjump 6ft defenders. 

It may have given us difficulties tonight (I don't agree it did) but at no point did we look like conceding from it. As I say, we got into more danger when Botterill tried to go long. 

We'll have to agree to disagree here.  I think we did look like conceding from it, particularly during the first half.

We don't have any 5ft attackers.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That was an enjoyable game tonight.

Our front players did well overall.  Otherwise, Motherwell should probably have scored more than they did.  They got in behind us often, and with ease.

I also didn't much enjoy watching our attempts to play it out from the back.  The players were clearly under instruction, but it was a struggle as Motherwell knew they'd get joy by pressing us.

The extra point would  have been nice, but even the one we got might come in handy.

I'd like to see our offside goal from the first half again, as I suspect it was tight.  We might even have had a second penalty at the death.  We'd have been a bit lucky to have won on the night though.

For a variety of reasons, none of them good, I didn't manage to see much of the first half, nor the first 5 mins or so of the 2nd half. I did manage to see five of the goals though!

Can't comment on the first 35 mins or so as I didn't see it. I heard McKechnie scored a good goal from outside the box. Connely should probably have put us two up just when I started watching when he was through but the keeper just beat him to the ball. Certainly the 10 mins or so of the 1st half after that it looked like Motherwell would score sooner or later. First 20 mins or so of the 2nd half they were all over us, sharper, moving the ball more quickly. We just seemed a step behind. Not unreasonable. They are a better side than us and were playing well at that point. We were lucky only to be 2-1 down. They hit the woodwork twice when it was easier to score and Botterill made a couple of great saves. Our 1st equaliser came completely against the run of play and right after they missed a sitter. We broke upfield, McKechnie did well on the right and suddenly we had about three men unmarked at the back post whatever happened. Incredibly we managed to lose a goal right back but showed great character I thought to get back in it. Connelly bought a penalty and Gav despatched it. I thought it was a foul but Connelly knew exactly what was going to happen. It was one of those where Lamie's clearly going to swing a leg at the ball to clear it and just doesn't see the opponent coming. Connelly knows he's going to get kicked but he does it anyway because he knows he'll get a penalty. Lamie just lost the plot at that point and when McKechnie exposed him again the red mist came down and he put in a horrible challenge. Clear red card for a late foul for me. Referee then went over to consult his assistant to see if the ball was still in play at the time of the foul but apparently it wasn't so it wasn't a penalty. We did then look like we might win it in the last 2 or 3 minutes but couldn't convert anything.

Shoot out was pretty high quality. Even McKchnie's failure wasn't a bad spot kick. Keeper went the right way and got lucky with his legs. Not too unhappy. Would have taken a point this morning and as much as we worked really hard for our draw, Motherwell were the better side so can't begrudge them their win. Not a bad point in the scheme of things. 8 or 9 from the other three and we'd likely get through. Not that it will be easy but getting something from Motherwell is a good start.

I thought Cammy Logan did a decent enough job filling in at left back but ultimately, hard not to note that all three goals came from them getting in down that side. Mimnaugh may have had some blame for not tracking the runner on the 2nd one but he had a very good game I thought. Gavin put in a shift and got his reward. McKay had a solid enough game at centre back. I didn't think anyone was exceptionally good though, they just worked hard, showed great attitude and fought. Fair play, exactly the attitude we're going to need this season.

A lot of positives from last night - firstly the pitch looked excellent and for the first time in ages fans could enjoy the ball rolling perfectly on a pristine surface. 

Without 3/4 key players Queens did very well to stay in the game being under the cosh for long spells. Some of the counter attacking was slick and caused Well problems. 

Some notable individual performances- thought Mimnaugh was terrific in midfield, great left peg, workrate outstanding and his ball retention and range of passing were different class. As others have said the difference in Reilly from last season is huge - credit to him for working so hard to regain sharpness. Botterill made a string of good saves and McKay /McClelland generally protected him well in the face of some sustained pressure. Unfortunately the left side of our defence was cut open repeatedly and all 3 goals came from that area. Logan looked dis-orientated on that flank but can’t take the blame when their RCB McGinn effortlessly strides up to our byline and is allowed to pick his pass to set up a simple tap in.

I am all for playing football but playing hospital passes deep in our final third when the risks outweigh the benefits is not sensible. I counted five times in the first half and there may have been more where we gave the ball away cheaply in very dangerous positions which all could have resulted in goals. Sometimes you have to play the percentages if “nothing is on” and perhaps concede possession but do so in the opponents half not in our final third. 

Early days but hopefully something to build on. Would have liked to see Walker on much earlier or at the start as he immediately strengthened our left flank with his pace.

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We'll have to agree to disagree here.  I think we did look like conceding from it, particularly during the first half.

We don't have any 5ft attackers.

Ok if we're being pedantic - 'our under 6ft strikers against defenders well over 6ft'. The point remains the same. 

Without having been there, it seems there's a lot of people saying that we "almost" cost ourselves a goal 5 times by passing the ball out of defence? As far as I can tell, none of the goals actually came as a direct result of this though?

This was probably the best forward line we'll face this season and it didn't cost us a goal. I think a lot of our fans are going to have to learn to be patient this season!

As others have observed, playing out from the back continually did invite pressure on the back four but they coped fairly well against a far superior team. There were a few occasions when it just needed cleared to provide a bit of breathing space, particularly in the second half - the downpour did slow things down and made it easier for Motherwell to press though. Some really strong performances, I thought McLelland was solid and Botterill impressed (albeit some slack/ low trajectory kicking) also the  highly delayed, dramatic ‘Botterill drop’ upon collecting a ball made me chuckle.

1 hour ago, Biblemaster said:

This was probably the best forward line we'll face this season and it didn't cost us a goal.

Not sure about that. I'd say the forward line is clearly the weakest part of Motherwell's side. None of the forwards scored or particularly looked like scoring. Spittal's a threat arriving in the box late from midfield like John O'Neill used to for us all those years ago but without Van Veen they very obviously lack a goal threat up top.

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not sure about that. I'd say the forward line is clearly the weakest part of Motherwell's side. None of the forwards scored or particularly looked like scoring. Spittal's a threat arriving in the box late from midfield like John O'Neill used to for us all those years ago but without Van Veen they very obviously lack a goal threat up top.

You think we'll meet better forward lines in League 1? It might be "the weakest part" of Motherwell team in your mind, maybe not scoring but they still proved a real handful. 

2 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

This was probably the best forward line we'll face this season and it didn't cost us a goal. I think a lot of our fans are going to have to learn to be patient this season!

I don't see it as a question of patience.

There appears to be a belief that fans have to either want football played the "right way", or be red faced balloons, screeching for the ball to be launched up the park at the earliest opportunity.

I don't see any real evidence of the latter sentiment on here, although 19QOS19 is apparently  surrounded by it in his Palmerston seat.

I think most of us enjoy watching passing football, and would like that to characterise Queens' overall approach.  That however, doesn't mean that we have to see it as always wise in every situation, in every area of the pitch.

First trip to Palmerston for me since February 2020, not a bad game to return to!

It was extremely refreshing to see a Queens team who were well drilled and set up in a cohesive unit where every player knew their roles.  No square pegs in round holes, and every player giving 100%.  It just shows the levels of shite that have been served up in recent times when bare minimum requirements like the above are celebrated as achievements.  It meant that although there were regular reminders at various stages of the game that Motherwell were considerably; bigger, fitter, more athletic and just generally better, Queens never let this get to them and kept plugging away.  It certainly looked like a team who are buying into the manager's methods and working hard for the cause.  Again bare minimum requirements that aren't always a given.

I can't say I was overly concerned by the team playing it out from the back.  The team simply doesn't have the height to be playing long, and any time Botterill tried to do this it caused far more problems than playing from the back ever did.  It obviously poses risks when League 1 level players are trying to be clever, but it is a risk/reward thing and IMO the reward of keeping possession far outweigh the risks versus the slim possibility of Lee Connolly winning a header against Bevis Mugabe and the team immediately being under the cosh again.

I liked the look of McClelland, he was dominant in the air and looked comfortable in possession.  He does also seem like the type who will get involved with players and officials instead of focusing on the game which may lead to some issues.  Reminded me a bit of Darren Brownlie.  Cochrane was a calming influence in the middle of the park and his vision and creativity was a cut above anyone else for Queens until Todd came on in the second half.  Connolly was busy, doing a lot of good work all over the park.  I'm not sure if it was intentional for him to have such a free role, or if he is a "maverick" type.  If he is the latter then I don't see him lasting long in Bartley's plans unless he can learn some positional discipline which would be a shame in a way.  McKechnie was the main threat throughout and didn't deserve to miss the "losing penalty".  Reilly put in an incredible shift and it was great he got the goals his efforts deserved.  I'm in the fortunate position of not having seen him last season so in my eyes that was just a typical Gavin Reilly performance, but I know that hasn't been the case for a number of years now.  Long may it continue.

As covered the only real weakness in the starting XI was Logan at left-back.  Is the intention for Church to be first choice once fit?  Perhaps harsh to judge him on one game as he won't be up against recent Scotland internationalists every week but he was the glaring weakness unfortunately.

Many a red-face has come from getting over excited after an early season cup tie, but plenty to be optimistic about.  Last night was essentially a free hit for the team against superior opposition.  The real indicators will come against the teams of similar ability where the players will need to show they can perform with the extra weight of expectation on their shoulders.

39 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

You think we'll meet better forward lines in League 1? It might be "the weakest part" of Motherwell team in your mind, maybe not scoring but they still proved a real handful. 

Maybe, maybe not. I'm pretty sure we'll play other games this season that aren't in League 1 though. We might see a better forward line at Lesser Hampden in a fortnight to be honest.

Motherwell were very good in spells last night. I don't really think it's controversial to say that their forwards were the weakest part of their side though.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't see it as a question of patience.

There appears to be a belief that fans have to either want football played the "right way", or be red faced balloons, screeching for the ball to be launched up the park at the earliest opportunity.

I don't see any real evidence of the latter sentiment on here, although 19QOS19 is apparently  surrounded by it in his Palmerston seat.

I think most of us enjoy watching passing football, and would like that to characterise Queens' overall approach.  That however, doesn't mean that we have to see it as always wise in every situation, in every area of the pitch.

The "right way" for us is playing it on the deck as best we can. If we had 6ft attackers I wouldn't be screaming for us to play it out from the back every time as we'd have a realistic chance of winning headers further up the park. As it stands we will lose the ball 99% of the time if we go long from kick off. 

I'm not against us going long to catch teams out. I think a lot of our goals this season could come from opposition corners/attacks where we have McKechinie/Walker/Connelly available for a quick pass up the park and can hit teams on the counter. Going long in that case makes complete sense. Going long from a goal kick makes absolutely no sense in my mind. 

I know a few folk think we got into trouble with it last night but I actually can't recall a time where we were in serious trouble from playing out. Maybe I have more faith in our players' ability on the ball? The biggest danger from our GK last night were when we tried to go long. 

Aye I have a lot of "get it up the park!" folk around me in the new stand. But I never heard any last night. Even at 3-2 when I was fully expecting it. Perhaps they could see what the side was trying to do or more likely it's because I sat closer to the terrace than usual last night :lol: