The Queen of the South thread

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

The "right way" for us is playing it on the deck as best we can. If we had 6ft attackers I wouldn't be screaming for us to play it out from the back every time as we'd have a realistic chance of winning headers further up the park. As it stands we will lose the ball 99% of the time if we go long from kick off. 

I'm not against us going long to catch teams out. I think a lot of our goals this season could come from opposition corners/attacks where we have McKechinie/Walker/Connelly available for a quick pass up the park and can hit teams on the counter. Going long in that case makes complete sense. Going long from a goal kick makes absolutely no sense in my mind. 

I know a few folk think we got into trouble with it last night but I actually can't recall a time where we were in serious trouble from playing out. Maybe I have more faith in our players' ability on the ball? The biggest danger from our GK last night were when we tried to go long. 

Aye I have a lot of "get it up the park!" folk around me in the new stand. But I never heard any last night. Even at 3-2 when I was fully expecting it. Perhaps they could see what the side was trying to do or more likely it's because I sat closer to the terrace than usual last night :lol:

Played very well at times  deserved at least a draw .

If we get the injured players back quickly and wait and add real quality to the  squad we have a chance this season.

We really need height and aggression added to the squad .

Surprised Finlay Kennedy decided to go on holiday when he had a great chance to get a run of games for us it is a pity as he looked good in pre season.

Didn't make the game but had been fearing the worst up against a decent Premiership side, so I'll take a high scoring draw as encouraging, especially combined with the positive feedback on here and the positive vibes from the post-match videos (especially Marvin's).  I'll temper this with the fact that the early season LC group stage games often throw up results which later bear no reflection on the subsequent (and more important) league form - mainly because teams are still playing around with formations and trying to find their best starting XIs and often still have some squad vacancies to fill.  That said, I'm encouraged and feeling more positive - especially with McKechnie and Reilly both hitting the net and against a good level of defence.  Also good to hear that Marvin's still talking to some players to add to the squad.

Also like the feedback on playing out from the back instead of lumping up the park - only caution I would add there is that sometimes safety first necessitates a meaty clearance and nothing wrong with that (as long as its an exception to the rule) at our level.  Really like the way Marvin goes about things, top guy - beginning to think we made a smart move there.

Whilst the result against the Well was good news, the next game up at Elgin will be equally important to see how we are developing - easy to stumble against perceived weaker opponents and especially away from home, just hope Marvin can keep up the same work/quality levels.

How was the new winger Harvey Walker when he came on?  Did he get much time?

Even the pitch "scored" well ... what's not to like, eh?

Oh, and kudos to the Well for filling their half of the stand, quite impressive that ... a nice easy wee jaunt down the motorway tbf ... nowt wrong with a bit of the steel pound this early in the season, cheers lads ... do we keep home gates in the group stage?  Not sure.

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Have we had blue and white ones before? 🤔

Aye they were blue and white for donkeys! The same slight angle as they are now but a lot more faded. Can't find any images online but here they are in A Shot at Glory :lol:

Screenshot_20230720-133632.png

22 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Just catching up on the thread from the last few days, and I have to ask, what was the unorthodox technique that your new guy was employing for reading out half time scores etc? Sounds fascinating 

It wasn't, it was awful. Pish along the lines of "Falkirk find themselves 1 up on the road at Elgin"* and "There aren't any goals at Annan who are taking on Partick, that's the same story up at Kirkcaldy where Livingston are visiting". 

* It wasn't word for word that but that's the way which they were read out and I'm aware those weren't the exact fixtures. 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

It wasn't, it was awful. Pish along the lines of "Falkirk find themselves 1 up on the road at Elgin"* and "There aren't any goals at Annan who are taking on Partick, that's the same story up at Kirkcaldy where Livingston are visiting". 

* It wasn't word for word that but that's the way which they were read out and I'm aware those weren't the exact fixtures. 

Yes, that was it.  I remember one along the lines of "Dundee are hosting Montrose and find themselves a goal to the good".  (Again, this was not an actual fixture the other night, but you get the gist).  I know it doesn't sound like the most demanding task to work out the actual scoreline, but it did take some digesting, and he'd by then naturally passed on to the next one.

It's an approach that would work fine if he was just doing a telly voiceover to accompany information we were a!ready reading on a screen.  However, when we're just relying on the verbal communication of half time scores, it really doesn't work well.

Good luck to the guy.  I thought he was otherwise fine, although reading out the line ups just before the teams come out would be handy.   It's not a huge deal, but a more traditional take on announcing the half time scores would probably serve everyone well.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Genuinely never noticed.

Me neither, but I thought we'd been using the blue and white ones on show on Tuesday, for years.  

Maybe it's just that we've not enjoyed seeing them ripple that much in recent seasons.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Me neither, but I thought we'd been using the blue and white ones on show on Tuesday, for years.  

Maybe it's just that we've not enjoyed seeing them ripple that much in recent seasons.

Nah, ones on Tuesday were brand new, bought to go with the new pitch and deliberately blue and white. The previous ones were white.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

See how that sign really annoys you more than it should? That’s me with our new stadium announcer…… I find his style incredibly annoying and unbefitting of a Scottish football ground! God knows how angry I’ll be by the time Christmas comes!

2 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Just catching up on the thread from the last few days, and I have to ask, what was the unorthodox technique that your new guy was employing for reading out half time scores etc? Sounds fascinating 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's an approach that would work fine if he was just doing a telly voiceover to accompany information we were a!ready reading on a screen.  However, when we're just relying on the verbal communication of half time scores, it really doesn't work well.

Good luck to the guy.  I thought he was otherwise fine

He's a radio presenter who likes football but hasn't really been a regular attendee in the past, as far as I know, so the unique and sometimes cheesey style isn't a surprise. Some of it works, some of it will probably be ironed out over time.

One thing he did do the other night which I'm a massive fan of is play some music by some local bands. ONR definitely featured and I think 13 Crowes did too. This is a great idea and should be done across the country to give some exposure to local talent. Football fans don't want to hear Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj or whoever's currently in the charts 

1 hour ago, Dougie Mills said:

See how that sign really annoys you more than it should? That’s me with our new stadium announcer…… I find his style incredibly annoying and unbefitting of a Scottish football ground! God knows how angry I’ll be by the time Christmas comes!

It's the clock in the stadium that annoys me. I keep looking at to check timings etc

Apart from one or two little irritations for me which I've mentioned already, and covered by some posts above, I think the new announcer is doing OK, at least trying to build up a bit of excitement. Just a few things need tweaking imo. 

9 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Apart from one or two little irritations for me which I've mentioned already, and covered by some posts above, I think the new announcer is doing OK, at least trying to build up a bit of excitement. Just a few things need tweaking imo. 

Someone needs a word is his ear and tell him to settle down. Reminding us of the score after every goal is extremely annoying for example. 
Fully appreciate he’ll no doubt be an unpaid volunteer but his style needs to change pronto.