The Queen of the South thread

39 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A bit harsh.

He definitely benefited from the tail wind you describe, and you're right about his subsequent record.

However, do we know that we had a bigger budget than Ayr?  They actually started the season as favourites.  

He did inherit good youngsters coming of age, but he also brought in players who did well for us, like Mitchell and Durnan.  Holding onto Clark was also a masterstroke most of us wouldn't have attempted.

Circumstances did favour him, but he also got a Hell of a lot right that year.  

He did. But I'd say the circumstances were particularly favourable to him and overall he's a poor manager. 

I just find it bizarre that he's used as some kind of yard stick when comparing our current manager. There are a couple on here who have been slow to praise MB but seemed incapable of criticising AJ - even when we were rank rotten under him. His first spell certainly did him a lot of favours for some of our support it would appear. As I say, I'm in no way surprised he hasn't been snapped up by another club yet. I'm confident MB will go on to have a better career than him as well. 

11 minutes ago, Baller69 said:

Be interesting to see who plays in goals today, Stone or Cowie. If it's Stone, Cowie will be absolutely fuming considering that Queens dashed his hopes of a move to Hearts B team in the summer. 

Cowie will be going out on loan once Botterill is back so I'd expect if Stone is fit he'll start. 

24 minutes ago, Baller69 said:

Be interesting to see who plays in goals today, Stone or Cowie. If it's Stone, Cowie will be absolutely fuming considering that Queens dashed his hopes of a move to Hearts B team in the summer. 

I'm sure Marv will do what's considered best for the team, he seems the kind not be bothered by hurting players feelings. 

14 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm sure Marv will do what's considered best for the team, he seems the kind not be bothered by hurting players feelings. 

Of course he will. My point was, why stop a player moving to a club if you have no intention of playing him 

17 minutes ago, Baller69 said:

🤦Bit of a difference signing a full time contract with Hearts and going on loan to Gretna

If Queens aren't willing to sell him then they obviously have plans for him. Seem to be making an issue out of nothing here. 

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

If Queens aren't willing to sell him then they obviously have plans for him. Seem to be making an issue out of nothing here. 

I'm merely giving you facts. Queens made a mistake with Cowies contract by failing to offer him a new contract within 14 days of his old one running out. He agreed terms with Hearts only for QOS to threaten Hearts with a law suit (even though they had no case) Hearts didn't want the bad publicity so pulled the plug. So I'm sure your limited brain can understand the issue now?????

2 minutes ago, Baller69 said:

I'm merely giving you facts. Queens made a mistake with Cowies contract by failing to offer him a new contract within 14 days of his old one running out. He agreed terms with Hearts only for QOS to threaten Hearts with a law suit (even though they had no case) Hearts didn't want the bad publicity so pulled the plug. So I'm sure your limited brain can understand the issue now?????

You may be itk, and like people to know it, but no need to sink to personal insults. 

12 minutes ago, Baller69 said:

Queens had no case but Hearts dropped it because they didn't want the bad publicity of being in the right? 

Aye, ok. 

Edited by 19QOS19

Just now, Baller69 said:

Nothing worse than someone in the know when you're not eh? 

I really couldn't care. But I'm confident that you've got your wires crossed along the way. If Hearts had done everything correctly and wanted Cowie, there's no way they wouldn't have went through with the deal if "Queens didn't have a case". 

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I really couldn't care. But I'm confident that you've got your wires crossed along the way. If Hearts had done everything correctly and wanted Cowie, there's no way they wouldn't have went through with the deal if "Queens didn't have a case". 

I'm 100 % confident my wires aren't crossed. But seen as you don't care, you won't be replying. Enjoy the game Mon the Queens 

4 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Quite sad to see you cannot give genuine credit where it is due.  Even with the biggest budget and talent in the country you still have to bring it all together to produce results.

AJ’s first spell with the club was magnificent and shouldn’t be forgotten.

That was one of the best Queens sides to watch in my life time. Breaking records left right and centre in the promotion year. 

it is a shame that he went to Kilmarnock. Personally, I would have liked him to stay. We did reach two back-to-back promotion play-offs in the following two seasons after he left.  

Would he have done any better? We will never know. The football might have been a little more pleasing on the eye though. 

Don't like commenting on games I am not at but that appears to be a repeat of the Alloa game.  Wrong team selection by Bartley and wrong game plan if you lose 2 early goals like that.  Good to see we revived 2nd half but we are giving ourselves too much to do.

Will be nowhere near promotion if we continue to be 2 goals behind at HT and end up losing home games.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Queens had no case but Hearts dropped it because they didn't want the bad publicity of being in the right? 

Aye, ok. 

Probably not bad publicity, more just that they didn't need the hassle.

Other than that, my understanding is that Baller isn't too far off with his account.  Queens did block the Hearts move for Cowie, and we have to wonder why, when he's clearly not considered yet up to starting for our first team.