The Queen of the South thread

11 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

We will never be   in a title race at best we will finish 3rd.

That is not being negative just realistic Hamilton and especially Falkirk have better squads than us. 

That would do me at least we would get into the playoffs if not then Marvin would have some very difficult discussions with the board who have backed him 100 % so far  with everything he has wanted to do.

I don’t disagree with you about Falkirk and Hamilton but I don’t think it’s totally unrealistic to expect us to put up a decent showing and have our hat in the ring. 

The bookies had us as third favourites for the title and I think that’s a fair assessment of where we should finish, If we will do that is another matter. 

The one thing that's becoming apparent (in the league games at least) is that without Ambrose in the back line we ship goals far too easily, with Ambrose in the back line we're just about competent in defence at this level - although we wait with trepidation to see what Accies and Falkirk will do to us.  Add in to the mix that Ambrose himself doesn't appear to be the most reliable character (eg time keeping) and then you can see we've got problems back there and this is going to need sorted out in January.

OK, hopefully Brydon will be back from injury soon but don't think it's fair to ask him to solve all of our back line problems alone.

I wonder if it's just the driver that takes the penalty of being late due to traffic? The full club as well as the supporters paid for it on Saturday.

Also what would happen if there were 4 or 5 first teamers in the same car?

Making a hard fast rule can sometimes come back and bite you on the derrière!       

1 hour ago, bod said:

I wonder if it's just the driver that takes the penalty of being late due to traffic? The full club as well as the supporters paid for it on Saturday.

How do you know it’s a hard and fast rule? Or the circumstances around the decision to drop Efe for the first half? Are they not friends off the field. I’d be surprised if it were a decision he would take lightly. 

55 minutes ago, Mulberryblue said:

How do you know it’s a hard and fast rule? Or the circumstances around the decision to drop Efe for the first half? Are they not friends off the field. I’d be surprised if it were a decision he would take lightly. 

I don't that's why I said I wonder.

7 hours ago, Broony88 said:

Go back and watch them again, your take of a sitter might be different to mine but they had 5/6 very very good chances that they squandered. They had 15 shots to our 6 many of which were blocked while heading goalbound or fired wide/over. 

I watched them. At the time I didn't think we looked under particular danger and I don't think Cowie had much to do other than pick the ball out the net. 15 shots or not, they only had about 3 on target. You've just described great defending there tbh. 

Our defence is still a massive concern but using the Cove game as some kind of rod to beat them doesn't add up IMO. Let's also remember we played the last half hour with 10 men. 

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

The one thing that's becoming apparent (in the league games at least) is that without Ambrose in the back line we ship goals far too easily, with Ambrose in the back line we're just about competent in defence at this level - although we wait with trepidation to see what Accies and Falkirk will do to us.  Add in to the mix that Ambrose himself doesn't appear to be the most reliable character (eg time keeping) and then you can see we've got problems back there and this is going to need sorted out in January.

OK, hopefully Brydon will be back from injury soon but don't think it's fair to ask him to solve all of our back line problems alone.

We are badly missing Brydon. Hopefully he's back soon. Him and Ambrose could make a solid pairing which will hopefully steady us. 

1 hour ago, Mulberryblue said:

19 minutes ago, bod said:

I don't that's why I said I wonder.

I heard on Saturday that it was the 3rd time he's been late. 

19 hours ago, bod said:

I don't know if it was traffic or not but this takes me back to a friendly - against Reading I think - can''t be bothered checking the date but it was when Jim Sinclair was right back and Captain I think.  I was in the ground fairly early and the opposition were going through their prep as normal and there was no sign of any QOS players from about 2.15 to 2.50. Sinclair appeared about then to great applause - not normal for him -  and then others appeared in dribs and drabs.  I think there had been a bad collision on M74 which caused very long delays. I had travelled from Glasgow that day, quite early, but seem to recall it was very slow around Lesmahagow.

At least we got a team properly warmed up and 'ready to go ' - or not - on Saturday !

Good result at Thistle scoring 3 good goals but again we look suspect at the back .

We have to try and get our defence sorted has anyone  got a timescale on when Brydon will be back if long term I would try and add a new centre half.

Try Armbrose McLelland and hopefully soon Brydon  3-5 -2 

39 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Good result at Thistle scoring 3 good goals but again we look suspect at the back .

We have to try and get our defence sorted has anyone  got a timescale on when Brydon will be back if long term I would try and add a new centre half.

We definitely don't need another centre half. Surely Brydon isn’t far away, Marv said he was back training I’m sure? He’ll be a welcome addition back for sure though. 

28 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Biggest problem yesterday was McClelland being dragged from the middle of the defence to the left due to the joy that Lawless was having against Gibson.  Similarly in the second half we were okay in the middle (partly due to the Partick forwards' profligacy in front of goal) but were struggling to prevent their wingers from getting crosses in.  We'll hopefully be more solid with Church (or MacIntyre) who are left backs to trade back in the team. 

Gibbo, one of our best attacking players, is a poor tackler and positionally naive defensively and I get the fear when he's played as a wing-back.  Lawless got past him 9 times out of 10 yesterday and he was extremely lucky not to pick up a yellow for a lunge in the first half which Lawless did well to leap over to avoid contact.

Marv tried to hurry Brydon back after his initial injury and it caused a relapse.  Much as we'd all like to see Brydon back in the team we need to be patient.

How big a squad do you want by the way?  We can't keep signing more players just because someone is out injured or had a bad game!

9 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Biggest problem yesterday was McClelland being dragged from the middle of the defence to the left due to the joy that Lawless was having against Gibson.  Similarly in the second half we were okay in the middle (partly due to the Partick forwards' profligacy in front of goal) but were struggling to prevent their wingers from getting crosses in.  We'll hopefully be more solid with Church (or MacIntyre) who are left backs to trade back in the team. 

Gibbo, one of our best attacking players, is a poor tackler and positionally naive defensively and I get the fear when he's played as a wing-back.  Lawless got past him 9 times out of 10 yesterday and he was extremely lucky not to pick up a yellow for a lunge in the first half which Lawless did well to leap over to avoid contact.

Marv tried to hurry Brydon back after his initial injury and it caused a relapse.  Much as we'd all like to see Brydon back in the team we need to be patient.

How big a squad do you want by the way?  We can't keep signing more players just because someone is out injured or had a bad game!

This post is still accurate if it stops after "Biggest problem yesterday was McClelland".

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

This post is still accurate if it stops after "Biggest problem yesterday was McClelland".

Going by Marvin's post-match interview comment that the squad was "young by design" I get the feeling that when Brydon finally returns to the starting eleven it will unfortunately be at Ambrose's expense rather than McClelland's.  ☹️

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

Going by Marvin's post-match interview comment that the squad was "young by design" I get the feeling that when Brydon finally returns to the starting eleven it will unfortunately be at Ambrose's expense rather than McClelland's.  ☹️

Yeah, I picked up on the "young by design" remark too. That said, Marvin must be aware of the calming influence that Efe's had on that jittery back line of ours ... so dare he sacrifice that? Mind you, I think Efe's only signed to December?

PS - how can you drop someone who has a multiple back-flip goal celebration, seriously! 😎

On 10/09/2023 at 10:40, Slipmat said:

That's why Armbrose was signed because Brydon was out injured and McCellend was suspended .

All I said was if Brydon is going to be out much longer then we need to look at our options at centre back we need to change something as we will not get anywhere this season if we keep giving away easy  goals .

No mention of it on the OS, but if anyone cares the reserves lost 0-4 at Queen's Park yesterday.  Sounds like QP could have scored a few more but for Thomson in goal.

Team was:

Mark Thomson, Jay Burns, Finlay Kennedy, Matt Hall (Lewis Downie 60), Lewis Currie, Niall Rogerson, Andy Oram, Ben Johnstone, Ross Irving, Shay Meagher (Charlie Watson 60), Ryan Findlay (Harry McLinden 75)

Cammy Bryson was an unused sub.

To be fair to the young lads they were up against a mainly older group playing for Queens Park with what looked like a few first team candidates in their ranks. Thought Thomson did really well stopping at least three net bound shots. He also was not quiet and kept barking out instructions to his defence. Ross Irving was captain and ran his socks off but was up against a couple of pretty solid defenders. Good to see the full management team supporting Dan at this match. Although well beaten the boys never gave up and gave their all right up to the final whistle.